• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Coventry Press Ltd.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]Coventry Press Ltd. is a new Ebook Only publishing house dedicated to giving new voices a chance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]In the competitive publishing world, so many wonderful stories never make it past the slush pile. Here at Coventry, we endeavor to give those stories the chance to be told. [/FONT]
After reading many threads on BRBC language like that makes me concerned almost immediately. Yes, there are many books that never get published and never get past the slushpile. There are often very good reasons for that. Publishing is not and should not be about the dreams of authors, but about selling good books to people who want to read them.

I'm not seeing anything about the people behind it or their experience in publishing.

I (myself) wouldn't submit just yet but would give it a little while to see how they go. And even then, I'd be starting with the biggest and working my way down.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Good point. It sounds like they're saying they'll take the leftovers that other publishers don't want. There's a difference when publishers say "We take the unique manuscripts that don't normally fit the mold other publisher's programs"...

But it doesn't sound that way. And not knowing who's running the show is another red flag, another good point Ann. You can be sending it to some little old lady that just likes to read for all we know. Maybe they will change that eventually and clarify more on that.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If it was just the second sentence, I could see it as works that slipped through the cracks, but the first one about "giving new authors a chance" sounds too much like the old typical "publishers are meanies" sort of sentiment for comfort. I would be very surprised if this wasn't run by authors who couldn't get published.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Agreeing with the rest of the warning signs, and adding that maybe it is too judge-y of me, but I'm put off by the fact they are using what appear to be stock images and photos on their home page. It just looks... off.

ShyWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The founder of Coventry Press is listed under "Our Authors" - she is the only author they have at the moment it seems.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From the Coventry Press website:

Marianne Morea
Author and founder, Coventry Press Ltd. Check out more about her at,
www.mariannemorea.com

Coventry Press was an idea that swirled around in my mind for years. In fact, I named the company after penning my first novella in 2010.

After being traditionally published, I have decided to try my hand at it myself, having learned a great deal from my own experiences. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Mitchell-Morris Publishing and its owner, Tracey Mitchell, for all her support and guidance. Also to Karen Fuller, owner of World Castle Publishing. Both ladies are terrific publishers and talented writers in their own right.

Currently, my books are the only adult fiction Coventry publishes, having decided to keep our focus primarily on Young Adult. I sincerely hope you can join me in this new adventure, and happy readining!
http://coventrypressltd.com/OUR_AUTHORS.html

These AW threads are worth a look:
World Castle: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207537
Mitchell-Morris: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251920

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity at site, and all books published since are by owner.