• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Subdivide this category?

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, moderators and other writers.

It appears to me that this may be a bloated category -- dare I say a catch-all for submission targets. Does anyone want to voice your opinion as to whether this subforum should be divided? One suggestion:

No-fee Agents
Fee-charging Agents
Old Style Publishers
On-Demand Publishers
Targets That Do Not Fit a Category Above

This idea is predicated on the assumption that different mileposts on the submission trail will point in different directions. We often start with no-fee agents who tend to have the highest standards or at least the lowest acceptance rates (5-20 percent). On-demand publishers often accept a much higher percentage of submissions (20-100 percent). Maybe you have another idea about sub-categories.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
We have an index which already subdivides the entries to some extent. Fee charging agents and other dubious entities often lie about what they're doing, so searching or listing them on that basis could be problematic.

I don't agree that this part of the board is bloated. Its purpose is to share information rather than as a listing to find agents and publishers (in the latter case I'd agree with subdivisions).

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your input, Lance. As Tilly mentioned, we do have methods in place for organizing the more active parts of the forum. Additionally, since most individuals come here to check to see if an agent, publisher, or editor is legit, subdividing the board would actually make it more difficult for individuals to find information on an entity they were seeking information on, as they would have to visit multiple forums to see if anyone had previously asked about them.

Lance_in_Shanghai

Registered
Reaction score
Positive category needed

Hello, moderators.
Maybe I am just not seeing it, but is there a category for "Good guys" in the publishing industry? I can easily find the complaints and, sure, there are sometimes more reasons to complain than to cheer but it is a bit like asking for directions and the answer is "Don't go that way or you'll regret it." Fine, but please just point in the correct direction. Let's have a category for "This option is good."

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Being listed in the 'Bewares and Background Check' area isn't negative thing .. it is just the place to post questions about specific agents & agencies.

In fact, the top (non-stickied) thread displayed at the moment happens to be a thread querying an agent at ICM - one of the biggest 'good guys' out there !

Good luck,

Mac