IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPRichard

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
My website keeps showing visits from an IP address that when I run it through Whosis says it is from Ottawa Canada sometimes or New York City on other occasions.

But the host provider lists the visit as coming from Redmond, WA and the Internet provider as Microsoft.

So is this Microsoft using some kind of bot that keeps hitting my site or what?

Curious only because I have queried agents in Ottawa and NYC and would like to know if they are checking me out or not.

Anyone know which data I should accept as accurate?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I dunno the answer, but my Microsoft Corp visits are from Beverly Hills, CA 90210

-Derek

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Up to 90% of the visits to any website are various indexing bots, like Google and Bing (and a whole slew of Russian indexing bots). Since a lot of 'em have more than one data center, they can come from various IP addresses. To add to the confusion, some bots identify themselves as some browser version!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
In addition, if the agent(s) you are monitoring for are on a major service provider, or if they have staff researchers/agents/editors/interns working from other locations (like home) THEIR visit to your site could come from a variety of IP addresses, not restricted to a small geographic area.

So, the possibilities of accurate joy are perhaps not as high as the chances of false joy.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
And then there's IP addresses that aren't accurately mapped in the first place... I used to be on a fixed IP address that I got thru a little local ISP, who used AT&T as their pipe. For a long time my IP address mapped to 100 miles away and AT&T, not my actual ISP or location.

All that aside... nowadays I'd expect just about anyone in business to immediately google any prospect they were remotely interested in, so figure if you put something on a website, it WILL be seen.

BTW multiple repeat visits usually means it's a bot.

Status
Not open for further replies.