• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Domain Registry of America

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Warning: These people send you a complicated thing that looks like a statement and appears to tell you that your registered domain name will expire in such and such date. The "bill" looks like you need to pay them $30 to keep your domain name.

Read the fine print. "Domain name holders are not obligated to renew their domain name with their current Registrar or with the Domain Registry of America. They are attempting to get you to switch to their domain registry from wherever you originally bought or received your domain name.

This is a scam to get you to pay them when you don't have to. If you bought your domain name from your local ISP or any of a number of other domain registries, you do NOT have to pay these people to keep it.

Further down the "bill" says: "This notice is not a bill, it is rather an easy means of payment SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO SWITCH your domain name registration to the Domain Registry of America."

Don't fall for it and send them any money. Check with your original domain name provider for any fees you need to pay. I'm sure they'll let you know if you owe them for another year.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Outfits like this are also frequent spam-faxers. Nuke 'em all. :e2chain:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Outfits like this are also frequent spam-faxers. Nuke 'em all. :e2chain:
Check out the anti-fax law, it's from about 1993, when fax machines were first becoming affordable and popular for small businesses, and junk faxes were about to ruin the medium. They went to almost zero just after the law went into effect.

Similar bills have been proposed for email spam (ISTR the Smith Bill from 1996), but never made it into law (the "Can-Spam act" from a few years ago obviously did nothing). Such a law would have significantly reduced spam, at least that originating within or advertising things for sale within the USA.

From everything I've read, an unsolicited fax is like money printed off the fax machine (you can sue for $500 to $1500 per fax!). I've seriously considered getting a fax machine and extra phone line to make money on receiving unsolicited faxes.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Warning: These people send you a complicated thing that looks like a statement and appears to tell you that your registered domain name will expire in such and such date. The "bill" looks like you need to pay them $30 to keep your domain name.
Yes, I get one from them every year. Irritating, especially when I pay $16 from BuyDomains.com