• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Literary Road

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I'm sure they are completely legit. They appear to be, but seeing's as I'm considering sending a manuscript in to them, can someone do a background check on Literaryroad.com?

It would be greatly appeciated.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Well I'm a very determined person.

I plan to get enough credits (through short stories etc) to publish a novel, which in turn will (hopefully) lead to a number of novels published. I will also work very hard toward a best seller.

More than anything James, the idea of taking it easy, and working from home, really appeals to me. Plus I'll have time for the more important things, like golf.

You only get one life - you've got to enjoy it.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This conversation probably ought to be up in the novels board, but ...

You don't really need short-story credits to publish a novel. All you need is a good novel. This isn't a treasure hunt where you have to pick up all the tickets in order to get a prize.

The credits help by showing that you're working at a professional level, but that isn't the only path.

Now those short stories:

Submit to the top places. Not to the places where the instant reaction is "Never heard of 'em." Not all markets are equal. Unless they're paying decent prices, have a good circulation, and frequently have stories in Year's Best collections and on the lists for major awards ... don't bother. Not until the top places have already turned you down.

Where do you find the short stories that you yourself read? You should be submitting there.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I hope you are joking!

According to a 2002 study, the median income for Australian writers (from writing) is about $4700 per annum.

Ref: http://www.ozco.gov.au/arts_resourc...s_in_australia/

Enjoy the easy life...

Mac

lol, thanks Mac. For a start, I didn't plan to sell my books solely in Australia...like I said, I work very, very hard to get what I want.

You don't really need short-story credits to publish a novel. All you need is a good novel. This isn't a treasure hunt where you have to pick up all the tickets in order to get a prize.

Fair enough, but it certainly wouldn't hurt...which is my way of thinking in this case.

Now those short stories:

Submit to the top places. Not to the places where the instant reaction is "Never heard of 'em." Not all markets are equal. Unless they're paying decent prices, have a good circulation, and frequently have stories in Year's Best collections and on the lists for major awards ... don't bother. Not until the top places have already turned you down.

I do just this already, I submit to some of the best Australian short story competitions. By best I mean prestigious and well known, mostly.

Where do you find the short stories that you yourself read? You should be submitting there.

Once again, I do this. In time, I'm sure the results will come but for now I suppose I can only work hard toward my goals.

Cheers Mac

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, back on the Road.... :)

http://literaryroad.com/literary_road_writers_guidelines.pdf

If nothing else, their presentation is miles above most new e-pubs. My questions include: is there any minimum amount needed for the monthly payout; how/where will they advertise their site and books; will they hook up with the likes of Fictionwise or be the only source; etc.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Meanwhile, back on the Road.... :)

http://literaryroad.com/literary_ro..._guidelines.pdf

If nothing else, their presentation is miles above most new e-pubs. My questions include: is there any minimum amount needed for the monthly payout; how/where will they advertise their site and books; will they hook up with the likes of Fictionwise or be the only source; etc.

Yeah, I would like to know the answers to these questions also.

JA Konrath

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JAKonrath.com
__VeNoM__ said:
More than anything James, the idea of taking it easy, and working from home, really appeals to me. Plus I'll have time for the more important things, like golf.

You only get one life - you've got to enjoy it.

Writing accounts for 20% of my time. The other 80% is self-promotion. Since signing a book deal, I haven't had more than two days off in a row.

Selling a book is a lot easier that staying in this business.

That said, submit to known NY agents. Subscribe to PW Weekly and Publishers Lunch and take note who is selling what. Read books in genres similar to yours and approach the agents of those authors. Attend conferences, meet authors and agents, ask for recommendations.

A bad agent is worse than none at all.

As for epublishers, I'd start with print publishers. The large houses usually buy ebook rights and publish in several formats.

Starting with an epublisher isn't the route I'd take.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
Yes, based on what you and others that I have spoken with have said, I've decided to continue with ss comps and maybe submit to some magazines.

Cheers.

JA Konrath

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JAKonrath.com
James D. Macdonald said:
I can't answer for JA, so I'll answer for myself:

Writing the story is just as much work, but if you go with e-pubs you'll get less money and fewer readers.

I agree with James.

I have many stories available online, both on my own site for download, and on many fiction websites on the web. It's a good idea to sell or place stories on reputable sites---those stories have links back to my page, which will hopefully get people interested in my writing and lead to a book sale.

But most people have never read a story on the internet. They still prefer paper. I've been in Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock, and they each have a circ of 250,000. The pay is decent, but the exposure is tremendous.

Exhaust all of the print markets first, then go to emarkets.

__VeNoM__

Late Night Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers.net
I hope you are joking!

According to a 2002 study, the median income for Australian writers (from writing) is about $4700 per annum.

Ref: http://www.ozco.gov.au/arts_resourc...s_in_australia/

Enjoy the easy life...

Mac

I didn't get the chance to go to this site until recently. It seems that (and I could be wrong) this survey is on Australian artists in general.
Perhaps I didn't look thoroughly enough...it was mostly just a quick browse really.

kartim

Registered
Reaction score
Literary Road publishers

Anyone know this publisher?

Thanks,
Karen

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
The internal links don't seem to go anywhere, and then there's the extensive submissions requirements:
* Double-spaced. Standard 12 pt serif font. Times New Roman or Courier preferred.
* Emphasis and foreign words may be underlined or italicized.
* Include your name, and contact information on the manuscript.
* Send the submission package to [email protected].

You will receive confirmation of receipt within one week. If you have not received confirmation at the end of one week, please e-mail Editor-in-Chief Renee Fitzgerald at [email protected].

Our current submissions' read time is four to six weeks. If you have not heard from an editor at the end of one month, inquire by e-mail to [email protected] as to the status of your submission.

Download the Writer's Guidelines

:Huh:

They seem to mostly be an e-pub, but still those are awfully vague guidelines.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
...and then there's the extensive submissions requirements:

Say what? That's standard manuscript format.

Their genres seem to be:

# General Fiction
# Humor
# Mysteries
# Parenting
# Poetry & Short Stories
# Political
# Romance
# Science Fiction
# Spiritual
# Western
# Young Adult

The important questions are: Have you read any of their books? Has anyone you know read any of their books? Have you ever heard of any of their books?

Last edited:

kartim

Registered
Reaction score
Please don't take this in the wrong way James but you say that about all small indie publishers. If I could get a NY publisher or agent I would never consider these small publishers. But I don't have connections. I've gotten encouraging remarks from the big pubs but no deals and can't get an agent--they are harder than publishers except for the sharks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are small indy presses that would provide a 'yes' to all those questions. Even when you can't start at the top, you can still start in the middle rather than at the bottom. To me, this look like very near the bottom. And this is from a writer who never submitted to any large press, but I did go with small presses whose books I had read and enjoyed simply because they were in my genre and they were good. If I don't respect a press as a reader why would I respect them as a writer?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Please don't take this in the wrong way James but you say that about all small indie publishers.

No, he doesn't.

Seriously, what good does it do you to publish a book with a company that can't market it or sell it?

If you're looking for a small press, I recommend you start by querying the presses that have distribution deals in place with reputable independent distributors. There are hundreds of small presses who distribute through Independent Publishers' Group, for instance; why not query them?