• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Leshne Agency (Lisa Leshne)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I came across this newer agent/agency today and don't find her in the index. She's got solid sales posted to PM, dating back to 2009 (specializing in non-fiction). This is from her bio:

Lisa Leshne has been in the publishing business for more than two decades. Prior to founding The Leshne Agency in 2011, she was a literary agent at publishing leader, Larry Kirshbaum’s, LJK Literary.

Great. Until I took a look at the submissions page:

If your project doesn’t meet our needs, we may recommend that you explore self publishing as a go-to-market option, through our partnership with Author Solutions, Inc., the leader in indie book publishing. Self publishing has become a widely accepted method for writers wanting to publish for the first, second, or even tenth time. If you’d like to consider self-publishing, you can request information now from Author Solutions.

That link goes straight to the agency's very own dedicated Author Solutions page. Objective Entertainment, anyone?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Here's the incentive (from the AuthorHouse website, but I'm sure it's the same for all the Author Solutions brands): a $100 fee per successful referral.
AuthorHouse Affiliate Program Rules

1. LINKS

AuthorHouse will make available to you graphic and/or textual links, which will establish a direct hyperlink connection from your website to the AuthorHouse website. The links will incorporate a referral number, assigned by AuthorHouse, that will uniquely identify you with respect to individuals referred to AuthorHouse in connection with this program...

For each individual referred to AuthorHouse, you shall be entitled to receive from AuthorHouse a referral fee in the sum of $100.00, subject to the following:

The referred individual must publish at least one manuscript in paperback or hardback form with AuthorHouse;
- Victoria

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ew, that's just icky.

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
well at least she puts this up on her website so we don't have to bother querying her.

LisaLeshne

Registered
Reaction score
While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route. Many writers are curious about self-publishing as an option and I'm happy to help point them in that direction of this is something they wish to explore.
Best,
Lisa Leshne

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Many authors are new at querying, and linking them to a self-publishing option might be premature. They'll take your advice at face value, and might miss great opportunities. I don't buy it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route. Many writers are curious about self-publishing as an option and I'm happy to help point them in that direction of this is something they wish to explore.
Best,
Lisa Leshne

That isn't what you say, though. You say, "If your project doesn’t meet our needs, we may recommend that you explore self publishing..." And then you provide a link to a Leshne Agency specific Author Solutions link.

Who put you in charge of determining whether a querying author should consider self-publishing? Just because you don't think a book is a great fit for you, that doesn't mean another agent or publisher won't feel differently. It's that word we hear so often, you know the one. Subjective.

Unfortunately, most authors reading this already know what a crock this "self pub" referral sham is. It's those who are querying you green (some of whom could probably even become good if they knew where to look), who will take the word of an industry professional with ligitimate sales under her belt as gospel.

Nothing wrong with self publishing, if the author decides it's the right thing for the author and the book. An agent rejecting the work has no place in that decision.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You are referring people to a vanity publisher for a fee. Shame on you.

If you really wanted to encourage people to explore self-publishing, you could send them here or to the Poets and Writers boards, or recommend some of the excellent books and websites out there about self-publishing.

Don't piss on our legs and tell us it's raining.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
While most of the authors I represent prefer to work with traditional publishers, I do provide a link to Author Solutions for those who are interested in the self-publishing route.
Could you confirm whether your agency is part of Author Solutions' Affiliate program, and earns a fee for successful referrals?

CreateSpace also provides self-publishing services--for free. If you do feel the need to direct authors to a self-pub service, it's a better option, IMO.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
She dropped the AS link in '15, but the page still exists.