• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Afterbirth Books

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
I came across the blogs of some of their authors, and I found their website. I can't find much else out about them other than they are based out of Washington and have books on Amazon.com

Here's the website

http://www.afterbirthbooks.com/index.php

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Bleh. Not a comment on the press itself, but that company name!

Our goal is to publish experimental fiction, absurdist fiction, surreal, bizarre, anything-goes fiction.

That makes sense. I am so NOT the target audience here, but I'll say the covers on the books they've got listed look quite sharp (if also quite disturbing).

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
I did a little more digging and found out the editor is Karen Townsend.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
This caught my eye:

Our philosophy is that our writers must be willing and able to aid in the promotion of their own books as well as the other authors in our catalog and the press itself.
This is a bit of a twist. Not only does the author have to promote themselves, but they have to promote everyone else, including the press! Yikes. Between all the promoting, when are authors supposed to write?

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That name is gross! I wouldn't want a book with the publisher named "Afterbirth"...only one who might like that is Tom Cruise!

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
I've no idea why they chose that name. I assume it is because they publish a lot of horror or otherwise twisted literature.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The publisher closed in April, but the books are still in print? Who's handling the royalties?