• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Marjacq Scripts Ltd

sandholme

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, we are actually based in the UK, hence the thought of using them. Has anyone got any thoughts on Marjacq Ltd, also based in the UK? In fact, while I'm asking, what advice is there for the very best agent dealing in fantasy stories in the UK?

Many thanks

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Marjacq handle fantasy.

Speaking as a UK-based fantasy author who is still trying to find an agent, the best agents to approach with a fantasy novel are John Parker and Meg Davis at MBA, John Jarrold, Simon Kavanagh at Mic Cheetham, Robert Kirby at PFD, Dot Lumley.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Please keep discussions about publishers in their own separate threads. Bringing up a second publisher in a thread about the first makes it harder for people to find information on that second publisher.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One o' them nested frame sites. Let's see if this works...Client List

Cool, it does. :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I was going to start a thread about Marjacq but found this older one. Has anyone had recent dealings with them? According to Litmatch, they accept fantasy.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
SF yes, fantasy no in my experience

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
They turned my submission (near future SF) around super-fast, even though it was by snail mail and about five days before Christmas 2008. They can only have had it in their possession for about 36 hours before they rejected it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I worked with Jacqui Lyons (one of the founders of Marjacq, responsible for the "jacq" part of its name) years ago when I worked for TelecomSoft, a UK computer-games company, and she worked at Marjacq Micros. She was very straightforward and easy to deal with, and very honest. I liked her a lot. Although I can't vouch for the literary side of things, having not worked with anyone there, if they're like Jacqui they're going to be good.

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to share: I emailed them asking if they accepted electronic queries. The submission page didn't say anything about it, but the contact page hinted that maybe they did.

This morning, they replied that yes, they did. Here are the instructions:

"Please send the first three chapters, with a synopsis that allows the agent to see the structure of the completed work, for the attention of Philip Patterson. Material will be confidentially shredded if we are unable to offer to represent you, and you may submit to [email protected] by email (uncompressed word-processor, pdf or text files only.)"

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of the response times? I'm at 8 weeks so far. Mr Patterson must be busy. i sent an email to ask if it was still in the pile (10 days ago) but no reply. Guess that's a no, then.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
No response after a few months and several reminders. End of story.