• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WorldCat / OCLC

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, all!

Yeah, this is the wrong forum for this question, but I saw something in one of the posts on a background check and now I can't find it again, so I'm hoping that whoever wrote the first post will see this in the same forum. I've searched, but don't remember the exact wording, so I'm missing it.

Someone mentioned that there was a entity website or phone number where an author could track which libraries in the U.S. stocked a particular book. I've been advertising in a publication which is distributed to libraries for my past two books, and it would be TERRIFIC if I could learn whether those marketing dollars are having an effect.

Thanks! If this doesn't get a response in a couple of days, Mod, could you move it to Novels, or a more appropriate forum, please?

Thanks again! :)

grommet

Registered
Reaction score
Cathy,

I didn't see the post in question, but Worldcat is OCLC's online catalog, which searches major library catalogs simultaneously. You have to have subscription access to it (most libraries do).

Incidentally, I searched the titles in your sig and here's what I found:

Road to Riches is held by 21 libraries
Hunter's Moon 184

Incidentally, they list all the libraries, but I didn't want to eat up AW space by posting them.

Hope that helps!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Thanks a bunch, guys! I've got that bookmarked now. I think the advertising is working pretty well. For a paperback romance from a new author, 184 is perfectly acceptable as a beginning. :)

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Cathy, that's great! So I take it libraries don't insist on hardcover anymore?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, it IS available in hardback, through both Doubleday Book Club and Rhapsody Book Club, but I was presuming they're buying the paperback. 90% of romance novels are paperback and they're pretty widely read in libraries. But maybe they ARE buying the hardback. Hmm. I'll have to check out the link again and find a nearby library to check it out. Good thought. Thanks!

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I read somewhere that it's more economical for libraries to buy the paperback and replace it when necessary so they don't insist on hardback anymore. I'm curious to know if that's true. If you find out what version they're buying, please report back. :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux, while you're doing your awesome forum maintenance thang, perhaps you can correct the typo in this thread's title? ("WolrdCat" for "WorldCat").

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Typo, what typo?
whistle.gif

But, yeah, I always find a few such gems whenever I tidy up. I've never been diagnosed with dyslexia, but sometimes I wonder. :e2drunk:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
FWIW, some library holdings are not listed. For example, I know my local library system has several copies of my books in several libraries, but none show up on WorldCat.

But the English Adaptations I did a few years ago for a manga publisher also show up under my name. So there you are.