• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Resource Arts Literary Agency

mborinstein

I think I've been taken! I signed a contract with Resource Arts agency about 2 1/2 years ago, and am still waiting for something to happen. They supposedly sent out one of my kids books to about 10 - 15 publishers, but 17 months have passed, and NOT ONE has replied in either direction. My second book has been under contract 18 months so far, AND HAS NOT YET BEEN SENT OUT! They keep coming up with different things to change, even after they okay it each time. According to the contract, Im not allowed to sent anything else out without them. I now have 5 other manuscripts just sitting. They required an upfront $150 'EXPENSE ACCOUNT" per book.
Has anyone heard anything about them or have an idea how I may find out more information?
Thanks upfront,
Michelle

James D Macdonald

Re: Any scoop on "Resource Arts" lit agency?

They required an upfront $150 'EXPENSE ACCOUNT" per book.

That's all the information you need to know.

They aren't making their money by selling books to publishers, they're making their money taking cash from you and others like you.

"<a href="http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealr.htm" target="_new">ResourceARTS: a literary agency located in California and Texas. Charges fee. Not recommended.</a>"

mborinstein

Ripped off, now what?

I'm pretty sure my 'agents' have taken advantage. I am now tied to a contract which forbids me to send off any other manuscript until it expires.

Once I'm free (a whole year away!) what should my next step be in trying to find someone legit?

I write kids books, should I bother with an agent at all?

My current agent claims she sent one of my story books to a list of publishers, yet NOT ONE has replied as of yet (even to reject). We are talking 17 months! Is it really bad etiquette to contact the publishers myself and check if they ever received it?

Thanks for the input,
A discouraged writer.

James D Macdonald

Re: Ripped off, now what?

What's the agent's name?

What exactly does your contract say?

mborinstein

Resource Arts. They have an office in Texas and second in Calf.

Contract basically says that each manuscript they accept is bound for 18 months, at which point they have the option to extend for an extra year. No other manuscripts may be sent out without going through them. If they reject any specific one then I am free to do whatever I want with that specific one. They deal with kids books, so other things are basically clear. I pay an "expenses" fee PER MANUSCRIPT ACCEPTED (2 to date) which would supposedly be deducted from their fee if/when they sell the book.

Thanks for input,
Michelle

DaveKuzminski

About that renewal option

Something tells me that you don't have to agree to that renewal option. If anything, it ought to work both ways. If not, you may have grounds for having that contract voided. Contact your state's bar association and consumer affairs division.

SRHowen

?

So, you haven't paid them anything yet? While it may seem that it is taking a long time to hear from them, I don't think you have been ripped off. Have they given you a detailed report as to where they have submitted your mss? If not, ask for one--open the lines of communication and find out what they have done on your behalf.

It can take along time to sell any type of book.

Shawn

DaveKuzminski

Re: ?

SRHowen, better go visit that web site and look at the conditions that are listed. They want advance payment for copying and postage. At least, that's my interpretation.

James D Macdonald

I pay an "expenses" fee PER MANUSCRIPT ACCEPTED (2 to date) which would supposedly be deducted from their fee if/when they sell the book.

Oh, dear. That's an up-front fee. How much have you paid to date (if it isn't too embarassing to say)?

James D Macdonald

<a href="http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealr.htm" target="_new">ResourceARTS: a literary agency located in California and Texas. Charges fee. Not recommended.</a>

JustinoIV

publishing

The publishing industry is centered in New York. If you must have an agent, you need a New York agent.

SRHowen

duh!

:eek: missed the thing about their fee--me bad. Only saw the expenses after they sell the ms. sigh. I have had the worst month--should just stay away from posting.

Shawn

mborinstein

Re: duh!

$150 per book. They informed me a while ago that they have raised their fee since signing, and all future manuscripts nedd more $. I don't recall offhand how much, but somewhere around$250 - $275 rings a bell. "...due to raised costs for mail etc."

James D Macdonald

Take the $275 to hire a lawyer to get you out of the contract. Don't send Resource Arts literary agency another dime.

reph

Those nice folks up the page neglected to tell you something, probably because they've told it to so many others who've posted here:

Never give money to an agent up-front.

An agent who charges a fee in advance makes money by collecting fees, not by selling manuscripts to publishers.

veingloree

Can they really stop you from sending other manuscripts out, that's a bit Draconian? There must be some way out of it? In the meantime you can certainly write other manuscripts and edit them into shape.

Greenwolf103

Re: publishing

JustinoIV said:

The publishing industry is centered in New York. If you must have an agent, you need a New York agent.

Not really. Nowadays, with the Internet and such, you don't really need a NY agent. That's what one NY agent said.

JustinoIV

PreEditors and Editors

"Not really. Nowadays, with the Internet and such, you don't really need a NY agent. That's what one NY agent said."

Agents don't make sales through the internet. And your NY agent is proof that not all NY agents know what they're talking about.

Look at the watch dog sites . Most of the fee charging agencies, the Melanie Mills types, etc, are people who did try to run agencies outside of NY>

If you're trying ot get published by a small or a regional publisher, of course, you don't need a NY agent. You don't even eed an agent. But if you're going to go for mainstream publishing, you need an agent.

A good agent has worked in the publishing business for years (concentrated in NY) The reason why so many agencies that open up in the rest of the country end up scamming customers for money is that they do not have sufficient experience and/or connections to really be able to sell books to publishing companies. I doubt many of them can even identify a good script, in terms of what the industry wants and thinks it can sell.

Greenwolf103

Re: PreEditors and Editors

If you're talking about script agents, don't limit yourself to New York. A good many reputable script agents can be found in Los Angeles, too.

ZoeJesnik

Helpful Hints in Finding an Agent

I am an author that chose to self-publish with 1stBooks Library because I thought that my life was too busy for finding an agent, etc. There can be such a stigma associated with self-published books. I have since finished my second book - one that will only go in the hands of a traditional publisher. I have been on the great search for an agent - or a traditional publisher for that matter. Here is what I have learned:

While you are still in the throws of getting rid of this agent, you could still begin to search for new prospects in the future. The first place to start is with the Writer's Market book - you can purchase it most anywhere (I got mine at Border's) or borrow it from your local library. Only choose agents who are members of the AAR. These agents tend to be more ethical and are conservative on fees (there are also NO reading fees either). Remember, a good agent is one who doesn't make money until they have made you money. This is what keeps them motivated to sell their client's work. If an agent is already making a modest amount of money off of their client's - then they have no motivation to do any more than what they are already doing. If you have any questions or need help finding some resources email me at [email protected]

absolutewrite

Re: Helpful Hints in Finding an Agent

Just FYI: I have two agents, neither in NY. Both have made legitimate sales for me (to Adams Media, Lyons Press, and McGraw-Hill). Being in NY can be a bonus, but it's not necessary.

KDeeJay

Any scoop on "Resource Arts" lit agency?

I, too, am under contract to Resource/ARTS. I have encountered the same two and a half year wait as Michelle. I just happened upon this old posting -- and am totally dismayed to find that I may have wasted valuable time and money in trying to get my YA book published!

Michelle...if you're still out there...tell me if you've found anything more out since last March!

Desperate!
Karen:ack

maestrowork

Run away, break the contract, and do what you need to do to get out of it.

mborinstein

Hi Karen, it's Michelle!

Just saw your comments a few minutes ago.

Wish I had good news to pass on. I still await ANY information/ update/ status report regarding one manuscript (Feb brings to an end a 2 1/2 year contract). I don't even know if it was ever sent out to anyone. The second book contract expired this past Aug. Still awaiting info for that one too.

Interestingly enough, I received a very angry email from Ellen today: It has just come to her attention that I am questioning them via the Internet. That would have to be right here! As I replied to her, sincerely researching information is not "vicious and mean spirited."

Ellen, if you read this - PLEASE - PROVE US WRONG!!!!

Good luck, Karen and stay in touch. Personally, I think I feel too burnt to bother pursuing publishing anymore. Pity, I have 5 1/2 great kid books which I think could have added positively to the children's lit out there.

Remember, nothing in life happens before its time.