Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/hybrid-sandy-winter-storm-threatens-east-coast-064040714.html

It's headed for the east coast and has a 70% chance of merging. They're projecting billion dollors worth of damage from this storm.

Much of the U.S. East Coast has a good chance of getting blasted by gale-force winds, flooding, heavy rain and maybe even snow early next week by an unusual hybrid of hurricane and winter storm, federal and private forecasters say.
Though still projecting several days ahead of Halloween week, the computer models are spooking meteorologists. Government scientists said Wednesday the storm has a 70 percent chance of smacking the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Plus it'll be a full moon with high tides.

Good luck to those who are in its path, it sounds like a miserable storm.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Yep, thanks. They're saying CT is a potential bulls eye. That is, if it maintains the track they think (that being the operative word) it will take. They're supposed to know more by tomorrow.

I've got one gas can filled, for my generator and will get the rest filled over the next few days, depending on what I hear. It's not a great idea to have too many in the garage ;)

2 weeks w/o power was enough for me to go out and buy one. It made me sick to have to throw out as much food as I did.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping it veers into a less populated area and doesn't do as much damage as they are predicting. That is a lot of damage.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'll have to stock up on batteries and see if we're getting rain or ice :( Y'all up north keep safe! It looks to be miserable. I'll make sure my brother in Baltimore knows about it!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a Sy-Fy movie that uses a superstorm that barrels down Lake Michigan?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I'm hoping it veers into a less populated area and doesn't do as much damage as they are predicting. That is a lot of damage.

Sounds like the storm in "The Day After Tomorrow."

Kinda.
The amount of damage that occurred after the last 2 storms we had last year, was unbelievable. Houses, literally fell into Long Island Sound and that was just in CT. NJ was heavily damaged as were plenty of other states prior to it reaching us.

I'd much prefer the going out to sea track.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Is there a Sy-Fy movie that uses a superstorm that barrels down Lake Michigan?

My boyfriend recorded a show a week or so ago on shipwrecks of the Great Lakes and this particular program focused on Lake Huron. We were about a quarter of the way through and I was quite interested in watching it, but apparently because it wasn't about Lake Erie he had no interest, because to him the only lake that matters is Lake Erie (the smelliest, crappiest of all of the Great Lakes) because, well, I can only guess it's because he's an Ohioan and we live in close proximity to it. Anyway, he deletes the show on me and I was like, I was watching that! Storms out on the Great Lakes can become very treacherous, and what I learned from the show was to stay off them during the month of November, the month with the worst storms. Not that I ever go out on any of the lakes (and I especially won't swim in smelly, algae-infested Lake Erie).

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I haven't seen the latest projections, but if the storm turns as the one model is suggesting (I think it was the Euro model) it goes right up the Chesapeake Bay or at least across Delaware and the bay, so much of the DC region would get slammed...

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
I'm suppose to be flying into Boston the 1st for a wedding in CT on the 3rd. I'm the maid of honor and the bride is already freaking out.

Last year the area had horrible snow/ice/rain/wind storm that left many people without power for a week. I just keep trying to tell her that if there's no power we'll just have a very romantic candlelit dinner and live acoustic music.

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
In the next 48 hours I will buy a shovel, long underwear, thermal socks, and good snow boots.

I'm suppose to be flying into Boston the 1st for a wedding in CT on the 3rd. I'm the maid of honor and the bride is already freaking out.

Last year the area had horrible snow/ice/rain/wind storm that left many people without power for a week. I just keep trying to tell her that if there's no power we'll just have a very romantic candlelit dinner and live acoustic music.
Tell her to go out and get a generator :D I'd loan you mine, but I'm afraid I'm going to be using it. It's projected to hit here in CT on the 30th, if it tracks on its path, but they won't know that for another few days.

Here's the local link for you:

http://weston.dailyvoice.com/

http://www.westport-news.com/

It was that awful storm that made me go buy the generator. After being w/o power during Irene for a week and w/o during the ice storm for a few days, I was able to find one. I've used it a few times, since. Worth every penny. Eats a lot of gas. I named her, Matilda :D Maybe, I'll rename her, Haggis ;)

Last edited:

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I'm in Boston... We're sort of in the line of fire for this one too, though right now it sounds like the worst will be south of us.

In a lame attempt to look at the bright side, my father-in-law owns a company which, among other things, salvages boats that are sunk or go aground, and my husband works for him...

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every time there's a storm warning, my ex-husband's words come to mind:

"There's a storm comin'.... and it's comin' for YOU PEOPLE!!!"

It always made me laugh; he was good with the satire. Where did he get that? I'm thinking it was some movie.... some preacher-esque sermon or something....

Anyway, for reals, God bless all of those in harm's way. The wind and rain is kickin' up here, but it's mild compared to what a direct hit would be (been there, done that). I will be praying.... and remember, stuff is just stuff; lives are what matters when it comes down to it... so, stay safe, all.

*Sends love and prayers*

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Boston... We're sort of in the line of fire for this one too, though right now it sounds like the worst will be south of us.
I'm south of Boston. Right on the water. Yeep.

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
Tell her to go out and get a generator :D I'd loan you mine, but I'm afraid I'm going to be using it. It's projected to hit here in CT on the 30th, if it tracks on its path, but they won't know that for another few days.

Here's the local link for you:

http://weston.dailyvoice.com/

http://www.westport-news.com/

It was that awful storm that made me go buy the generator. After being w/o power during Irene for a week and w/o during the ice storm for a few days, I was able to find one. I've used it a few times, since. Worth every penny. Eats a lot of gas. I named her, Matilda :D Maybe, I'll rename her, Haggis ;)

If you're close enough to the seaport I'll just invite you to the wedding. You bring the generator then go enjoy the open bar!!

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Oh yuck. I'm in CT on the shoreline, but luckily about 5 miles from the water so we should be safe from flooding.

I am not looking forward to a winter power outtage.
Yuh-uck.

:: Jamie going to stalk some survivalist sites to see what she's missing ::

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Jamie
Flashlight. Batteries. Lots of canned goods. Small battery powered radio. Maybe camping blankets, the kind that keep you warm in really cold temperatures. Extra medicine if needed. Good first aid kit or kits. All vehicles gassed up if possible. DO NOT DELAY BUYING THESE THINGS. Stores will very likely run out quickly.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Great ideas, Komnena. This is going to sound silly, but I used to live in Florida and made a new hurricane kit every year. In it, I put a spare manual can opener. A friend of mine once got stuck with only an electric opener.

Also, have lots of water. After Hurricane Andrew, I am never without bottled water. Fill your bathtubs with water for flushing the toilet, cleaning, etc. You can get water purification tabs, but we never did. After Andrew, we were without power, phone, and water, and water was the hardest to live without. Also why I put baby wipes in the kit. Matches, candles. I always got peanut butter, crackers, granola bars, raisins, calorie-dense nonperishables. Food for pets. Gosh, I have really gotten lax since I moved to the Northeast. I can't remember everything I used to pack.

In 1995, I moved to Orlando, and we were expecting an actual hurricane, rare for the center of the state. I had to keep telling people in the supermarket that stocking up on milk and eggs and meat was not the best idea. I am not kidding.

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
Great ideas, Komnena. This is going to sound silly, but I used to live in Florida and made a new hurricane kit every year. In it, I put a spare manual can opener. A friend of mine once got stuck with only an electric opener.

Also, have lots of water. After Hurricane Andrew, I am never without bottled water. Fill your bathtubs with water for flushing the toilet, cleaning, etc. You can get water purification tabs, but we never did. After Andrew, we were without power, phone, and water, and water was the hardest to live without. Also why I put baby wipes in the kit. Matches, candles. I always got peanut butter, crackers, granola bars, raisins, calorie-dense nonperishables. Food for pets. Gosh, I have really gotten lax since I moved to the Northeast. I can't remember everything I used to pack.

In 1995, I moved to Orlando, and we were expecting an actual hurricane, rare for the center of the state. I had to keep telling people in the supermarket that stocking up on milk and eggs and meat was not the best idea. I am not kidding.

I used to live outside Boston and now live in FL. Moved only recently and after studying up on ridiculous storms in FL vs Boston. Mass overall has had a worse hurricane season than FL for the past few years. Now may be more important than ever to get that emergency kit stocked up.

And really... what is with the saying buy milk and eggs? Not very smart!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I used to live outside Boston and now live in FL. Moved only recently and after studying up on ridiculous storms in FL vs Boston. Mass overall has had a worse hurricane season than FL for the past few years. Now may be more important than ever to get that emergency kit stocked up.

And really... what is with the saying buy milk and eggs? Not very smart!

Er, I did not tell people to buy milk and eggs. As I said, I told them NOT to buy milk and eggs, which is what they were doing.

I do have emergency supplies, but not in a kit the way I had a designated hurricane kit. I've been in MA for ten years and haven't seen anything like we had in FL.