Jobation June 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kidding, of course. No jobation here. Just a little poking now and then. :poke:

Welcome to June! The purpose of this thread is to encourage each other's writing. Please put all off-topic stuff in the Braggatorium, Life of Crime and Chocolate, or Mama Jude's Pep Talk. Thank you!

How was your May? Did you do well? I failed miserably, but I also turned forty, so... that was my excuse. I guess.

What's your goal for June?

Mine is to write 500 words/day. Easy-peasy, right?

So here we go. Turn off the internal editor. Turn on the Kindly Grandma Editor. And GO!

Tell me about you.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I had a great write yesterday but nothing yet this morning. Exhausted from nightmares. Wish I had a nightmare-recorder cause I rarely remember more than snippets of them. Instead, groggy writer keeps looking at the keys. I can beat this. :e2coffee:

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
June's goal is to write a novella that I've been planning while editing my last WIP.

I want to start working on two projects at once. One writing, one editing. I think I'll find myself more efficient that way, since they use different parts of my brain. :Headbang:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
June's goal is to have no goals and just see what I can write. Every time I've set a goal, it's like the universe conspires to stop me getting there, and I end up feeling like a failure because I haven't achieved that goal. So this month, I'm going to treat every word as a plus, and just see what I can do when there isn't some imaginary bar above me to aim for.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
My only goal this month is to get a new "day job". I do want to get another 3 or 4 chapters done, but I'll probably get 2 if I'm lucky. Hey, my average chapter is 2000 words, so 2 would put me at 4k for the month. :D
Sorry, mamajude, a little off topic in the beginning. :rulez

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
In 24 May days, I wrote 31K+. If this pace continues, I could have a draft by July 4, and...why not? June's goal, then, is 30,000 words. I'd like to see a few over. I won't wail (or whale on self) if there are fewer as long as I write 27 of the 30 days.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
As with every month, I plan on writing 10,000 words. Consistency is key - I've hit this target four months running and am now exactly halfway to the 80k take-off-yer-trousers-and-shout-hooray mark.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if I met my goals for May or not in terms of what was written, but I have to say I'm honestly pretty happy with my progress. I wrote at least 7,000 words (I'm estimating because so much was handwritten and hasn't been typed yet), but I also edited one entire book, and two thirds of another--and that other has required extensive rewriting of entire scenes. So my number may not be good, but all told it was a lot of work, and many days of doing nothing but working on writing stuff.

I'm going to try to finish off the edit today (I have about 40 more single-spaced pages, and some more rewriting so I'm not sure if I'll make it) to get that out of the way and then I'm going to focus more on writing completely new words.

So I'm going to say my goal for the month is to completely finish off this book (I never quite got around to the last 10k), and also to write at least 10k on the new book. I'm not sure if I can get there, and if I have to sacrifice one I'll sacrifice the new book, but I think I can do this, so I'm going to try. :)

My summer classes start up next week, but at least I have a good schedule. Morning only, woohoo!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I wanted 3,000 words for May and I made 9,000+ (my first ever time of setting a word-count-based goal, so I am impressed.)

Therefore - with grit, determination and this --> :granny: (AW's own internal-editor-kind-grandmother smiley: Thank you lorna-w and Alleycat and Mac) I'm aiming for a hearty 5,000 revised and edited words in June.

And that's with house-guests.

Good luck, everyone!

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) . I'm new-ish and desperately need this thread to kick my procrastinating ass into gear.
*deep breath* I wasn't here last month, but basically began an autopsy on my current wip (genre: psych thriller). This month I aim to patch up the corpse, apply mouth-to-mouth and shock it back to life. My main focus is getting the flow and voice right.
Thanks for this thread Mama Jude, ma'am. I offer melt-in-your-mouth chocolate and a special monsteR shimmy as birthday prezzie (sorry, that was off topic :)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
^^ and thanks to you, mccardey--you're really the one who got the ball rolling!

And may you all surpass your goals and hopes this month. And sell a book. And win the lottery.

Done for the day, 2008 words. Actually more because I went back and eliminated all the word count entries for the other docs, changed the totals, so I lose those fake words. ;)

The next two scenes, I only have vague ideas about, so I'm going to be trusting the Muse and typing something to start the day tomorrow and hoping something more comes out of the fingers. Often, it does. Sometimes, it needs to be totally rewritten later, but one can't do that in a couple months without doing the first bit.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) . I'm new-ish and desperately need this thread to kick my procrastinating ass into gear.
*deep breath* I wasn't here last month, but basically began an autopsy on my current wip (genre: psych thriller). This month I aim to patch up the corpse, apply mouth-to-mouth and shock it back to life. My main focus is getting the flow and voice right.
Thanks for this thread Mama Jude, ma'am. I offer melt-in-your-mouth chocolate and a special monsteR shimmy as birthday prezzie (sorry, that was off topic :)

:Hug2: Chocolate is never really off-topic. I'm glad you're here. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second Zelenka too. Not setting any goals except to write as much as I can when I can. I did...okay in May. I've hit a bit of a slump at the moment, but I think that's more me that the MS. Hoping this thread will give me the :poke: I need to get going again.

marianck

Registered
Reaction score
I came in late last month and set a goal to get to 10k in the second arc of my novella - done! Just barely.

I have a lot of free time this month unless I get a new job or clients start rolling in, so it seems like a good month to go for 10k. I notice if I do the work of showing up and working a scene, a few hundred words comes naturally. But when I write JUST for a word count, it all kind of sucks.

So my goal is to show up every day and keep taking the next right step, laying down track, and trust 10k will happen if I do the work!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you who set 30k a month goals, are you full time writers?

When I'm really cranking, 30K is easy. And I have two kids, work part time, attend approximately a thousand meetings a week (okay, slight exaggeration), volunteer for the school and church, etc. When the words are coming, they come in the early morning, late at night, while the kids are watching Phineas and Ferb, any little time they can squeeze in.

Oh, for the days... :tongue Must go write!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You mean you aren't watching Phineas and Ferb with the kids? Shocking!

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Well, May was not the best writing month I've had -- so 500 words a day it is for June and hopefully get this damn story finished. It is sitting at 6 500 words but doesn't work.

Onward and upward!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Those of you who set 30k a month goals, are you full time writers?

I am, yes. Also, I don't have little kids. Or a spouse. Or so much as a goldfish. My "house" is 10 x 18 feet, so there's not much cleaning to do. By career, I'm a bum. ... Hmm, now I'm feeling guilty for not doing 50K a month!

1077 this morning by 6:20. gotta go get ready for a visitor.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
637 words yesterday. Not on the WIP, oh no, that would be too good. But they're new words, so I'll take 'em. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I made it through another 40 pages. About 27 left and I'll be done with my edit, but I stopped at an area that needs more changes, I think, so we'll see what happens.

About to leave to do a run (eek!) and then I'll try to get home and do some more writing stuff. :)