• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Movable Type Management (formerly Movable Type Literary Group)

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
MANY thanks to all posters here, esp victoriastrauss, for such detailed info. A lot to think (& worry) about here, I think.

I wanted to mention that Jason Allen Ashlock, mentioned previously in this thread, who was responsible for almost all of the Marianne Strong Agency's deals in the last 12 months per Publisher Mktplace, has left to hang his own shingle: the Moveable Type Literary Group: http://www.movabletypenyc.com/
http://www.observer.com/2009/media/gentle-jason-ashlock-ignores-recession-opens-literary-shop
I'm sure this info belongs in a new thread for this agency, but I'm a newbie & not sure how to do that or if I'm allowed!

In any case, Jason took at least one author with him: Robert Rave, who writes a glowing recommendation on his PM page: http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jasonashlock/
This new agency has 2 sales so far per PM.

I'm not sure how to start a new thread either but I was curious if anyone else has any dealing with Mr. Ashlock. He requested my full a couple weeks ago and while I was thrilled I'm a little nervous considering the stuff above about Marianne Strong. He does have his own agency and it looks like they have sales.
Just curious if anyone else has any experience with him.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*split from Marianne Strong thread*

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
JamieB,

He is fast - I had the same experience when I sent my query.
Keeping those fingers crossed.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't he know to Google his proposed agency name before committing to it?

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people are going to spell it "moveable". Either way they spell it, they're going to run headlong into a bazillion Google hits for the Movable Type that's a popular content management system.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
A lot of people are going to spell it "moveable". Either way they spell it, they're going to run headlong into a bazillion Google hits for the Movable Type that's a popular content management system.

That's okay. If they spell it right, they'll run into a website with an extremely visually annoying style. At least to me.

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Well i heard back from Jason Allen Ashlock today. He said that my novel is very promising, that he has issues with the lack of action in the beginning because of the age group, that he loves the characters and that he would be interested in working with me on it. He did say that he honestly can't start revisions till the fall so for me to consider that in lieu of other readers/potential offers. He said for me to think about it and he'll call me next week.

I know that isn't an offer, but I'm still excited.
has anyone else heard from him?

JJ McCreary

Dream BIG!
Registered
Reaction score
I have not found Movable Type Literary Agency to be responsive at all. I sent Jason an email in Feb 2009. Then overnighted manuscript in April 2009. No response to either and it is now July 2009. 5 months- that is not responsive. Some kind of feedback would be great (yes, no, etc.). Somewhere I read that his average response time is 180 days- will have to find that link again...

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jason's currently waiting on my ms. I queried him in January and heard back from him late may, with an apology for the wait and request for the full if it was still available. By then I'd pulled the book back in for editing after I received interesting feedback from another agent. I let him know and he said to send when ready.

Seemed like a nice guy and he had a lot of success with his former agency. I'm looking forward to sending it along in a week or two.

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I have not found Movable Type Literary Agency to be responsive at all. I sent Jason an email in Feb 2009. Then overnighted manuscript in April 2009. No response to either and it is now July 2009.

I'm not sure I understand. You sent an email, got no response, then sent an unrequested MS and got no response?

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
About Movable Type Litarary Agency, where can their submission guidelines be easily found? For a guy from Jonesboro, AK--even though the Observer art quotes him saying he's from Memphis (maybe he was at the time of the article)--he certainly seems kinda pretentious with all the big words. But he's new and I think enthusiastic/crazy enough to jump in with the sharks and that's good.

You who've sent him mss., are they "big city" types? His published books don't look like his "agenda" sounds.

So please if you will, let me know what his or his fellow agents requirements are. My novel is literary "period"/historical. No need wasting time and hope on the wrong agent.

Merci Beaucoup,
still alive

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Great article! Mr. Ashlock has my full and I would love to have him as an agent. This shows he's a go getter and not afraid to put himself out there! Good stuff - thanks for the link.

Me too, Jamie! Maybe we can be agent sisters! LOL

still alive

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Jamie. I have another question. You said you sent a query letter, but his submission policy calls for ten pages and a one page synopsis. Is that what you did? Like most of us, I think, the word "synopsis" sends shudders down my spine!

And while I'm at it, great luck on your full. I won't try him until you have time to answer about the query letter or the pages.
Still Alive

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
No problem, JamieB!

Good luck to everyone with requests from Mr. Ashlock.

Loved the article on him, and his attitude. It sounds like having him as an agent would be like having a charming, personable, knowledgeable "outsider" on the inside.

As Nathan Bransford wrote, there are worthwhile advantages to having an agent who's new and hungry. After all, we ask them to take a chance on us, and we're new and hungry.

Mr. Ashlock actually critiqued the first ten pages I'd included with my query (no agent had ever done that before) and pointed out some wrinkles that not only make sense, but that will make my chances better with any agent -- all while praising me.

Because of the critique, I was sure it was a rejection -- until he asked for the full in the last sentence, praising the writing again.

If working with him would be like that, so positive even in the critique, count me in.

Good luck, everyone!

Em

Last edited:

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Fingers crossed!

me three. the last email i got from him said he would call sometime this week to talk about my book. i really hope that happens.

and as for mr. ashlock, I have found him to be very personable. Just from a couple of emails, I already feel like he knows what I am trying to do.
And as for genre, I'm middle grade urban fantasy. I got the feeling he's into anything that strikes him.

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
me three. the last email i got from him said he would call sometime this week to talk about my book. i really hope that happens.

and as for mr. ashlock, I have found him to be very personable. Just from a couple of emails, I already feel like he knows what I am trying to do.
And as for genre, I'm middle grade urban fantasy. I got the feeling he's into anything that strikes him.

Awesome Steampunk!!! Good luck - keep us posted!!!!

Still Alive,
I think I sent a query with the sample pages pasted in. I don't remember sending a synopsis...perhaps the guidelines have changed since I sent. I'm not certain...sorry. I know, 'synopsis' is worse than any four letter word I can think of! :)

Good Luck Horseback Rider!!!!

Lucy Dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
You all have me convinced Jason Ashlock's the greatest thing since Cherries Garcia ice cream so I queried him on my (dark, gritty, serious, agent scaring) YA.

Thanks for the tip.