• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Firedrakes Weyr Publishing

para

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this company: firedrakesweyr.com/

Coffeetime romance just feature them in their latest newletter, so I was curious. I've had a look around their site - feels a bit odd. As far as I can see from google.the editing staff has a couple of authors who write for Changling & Elloras Cave. Can't find out anything about the publisher or the rest of the staff. I thought it was interesting that the only review has actually been written by someone with the same name as the marketing person.

I should admit I have no interest in submitting to them. I'm just being nosey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to this one as well. It sounds like they're an e-book publisher based on their comments in the about us page, but I'm not positive.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Not much. New; ebooks only it seems. Peggy Roberts was an editor with Erotique Press a few years ago, and I think with a few other epubs...

The name is a bit off putting for me. I remember trying to google them and couldn't find them because I kept spelling the second word wrong.

THe web site is a bit awkward feeling and the main page of the 'bookstore' comes up with links to join their various groups...you have to click a link to the left to see the new releases. Kind of makes the books feel secondary.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Due to unfortunate family matters, Firedrakes Weyr Publishing is closed at this time. Hopefully circumstances might be worked around to allow it it reopen in the future. Thanks to all for your support.
Avast! warns of an IFrame Trojan on the site, so I'm breaking the link to it, just in case.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
eeeeee! they nicked my name!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's just because you're awesome. :D

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Er, the name itself would make me wary. It's like a group of Dragonriders of Pern roleplayers got together and said "wouldn't it be neat if we were publishers?". I might be completely wrong about them but that's the feeling I get.

Also, being a published writers does not make you automatically an expert in publishing.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Also, being a published writers does not make you automatically an expert in publishing.

QFT x infinity.

There really should be 'Writing And Publishing 101' classes EVERYWHERE that teach these things.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Just because you think you know how to put together a book does not mean you're necessarily qualified to put together and publish an ebook. Unfortunately, the apparent ease with which it appears it can be done is an open invitation to anybody with a computer and who thinks "I can do it better" to stick their toe in the water.

Believe me. I've been epublishing (various items) since 1995, way before most of the current crop of Bozo's even thought about it. It's tough and you have to have the time (and ability, which I don't) to edit the stuff you publish. Just slinging it out there virtually guarantees that someone's going to find a mistake and tell you about it (I had someone else edit most of the stuff I've sold over the years - and I really spend more money on the website than I make in sales and always have).

Unfortunatly, although I've learned how to do epublishing on at least a semi-professional level, there are a lot of folks out there who haven;t even done the research or spent the years I have trying to do it. There are way too many of them and, like firedrake, when I see a "publisher" that advertises itself relatively openly as a ripoff of Ann McCaffrey's works, I get more than a little leery, if not somewhat miffed.

Steer clear.