• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pandora Project Publisher

K.S. Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I recently stumbled across a new publishing house, Pandora Project Publishers, that deals in e-books. Googling the name, nothing turned up except for a few titles on Amazon.com that received fairly good reviews.

When I inquired for more information, this is the form response that I received:

Pandora Project Publisher is looking for short stories and novels in Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Historical Fiction, just about any genre. No erotica or excessive language please. We will be publishing the stories as e-books on Amazon Kindle, Mobipocket, and few other online stores. We pay royalties of 8% of retail on e-books. You keep the rights to your work. We ask that you allow us to publish your work for at least two years. We pay royalties twice a year.

If you are not 18 yrs or older let us know your age in the cover letter.
The minimum length is 3000 words.
You may submit more than one story. Make sure each one has it own cover letter.
Please only send work that is finished.
Make sure your work is polished (spelling and grammar).
You must have electronic rights to your work. If you are unsure (and the work is published) ask your publisher. If the work is unpublished then you do own the electronic rights.
We are only (right now) taking submission from the United States

Your submission:
1. Print a copy of your work and send it to us. Please include a SASE if you want the copy returned. Please number each of your pages. If we wish to publish your work we will request that you send us another copy electronically.
2. In your cover letter please include:
a. address
b. phone # (house number is preferred, but if you don't have one a cell is fine)
c. email (very important, this is how we will contact you if we are interested in your work)
d. genre (it can be more than one, example sci-fi/horror)
e. submit a one to three line blurb. This is the first thing the reader will see, so make it a grabber.
f. word count
g. submit a brief synopsis, telling the reader a little more of what the story is about.
h. keywords: when a reader uses a sites search engine what word or words might help the reader find your work. Limit key words to fifteen.
3. Do you have art work for your cover or a suggest on what image should be on the cover let us know.
4. Also we would like to hear how you will promote your short story.
-Do you have a website?
-Will you tell your friends and family by email?
-Or any other ideas you have.
5. Keep a copy of these for yourself (if we wish to publish your story, we will ask for these again to be sent by email)
6. ** e-mail [email protected] once you have mailed your submission.
a. Place in the subject of the e-mail the title of your work and your last name.
b. In the body of the e-mail place the date mailed and the state. We will notify you once we have received your submission.
7. We will contact by e-mail so add [email protected] to your contact list if you have spam blocker.

Mail submission to:

Pandora Project Publishers
12839 Kodiak Ave.
Hudson, FL 34667

Thank you for your interest
Pandora Project Publishers

If you have any questions, email us at
[email protected]

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this is a scam, legit operation, or waste of time? Thanks!

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Besides 8% for e-books is a little ridiculous. Don't most e-publishers pay 40%?

K.S. Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what e-book publishers pay, only that the going rate for paperback is anywhere from 6% to 7.5%, so that's what I was going off of. I wasn't going to make a rash decision, but this smelled fishy to me.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
I just pulled this off the TWRP site, but this is pretty on target.

At an average of 30% for ebooks and 6% for paperbacks...

Just food for thought.

K.S. Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so definitely not going down this route. I'm glad I came here for advice! Thank you everyone for your input. I got a little bit of an education on e-book royalties, too.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
A friend of mine sent this same ad to me when she found it on Craigslist. I could tell it was bunk by looking at it, but still thought I'd pop in and see what AW had to say about these guys.

I'm just glad no one on this thread has been taken by this outfit and that most people who see this ad will be smart enough to not fall for it.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I think a good rule of thumb is that legit agents and publishers don't tend to advertise somewhere like Craigslist. They don't need to.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
They are almost as impressive as the house I came across the other day who was claiming not to have "stereotypical point of views" on publishing and isn't about making money.

Their catalog links to an ebay page? I would stay far, far away from these guys.

Looking further, I see almost every book is written by the same person. Seems like a self-publisher who decided to try seeing if she could solicit some mss. as well.

Last edited:

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, every page is like a Google Ad or Amazon Affiliate link. And they are a publisher? Goodness, they certainly aren't trying to get readers, they are trying to get a buck anyway possible.
Doesn't look like a professional group at all, hopefully someone with experience with them will chime in. First impressions aren't good at all.

Edited to add: If they are a publisher why are they advertising vanity presses?
Also, they are "new"? Their website shows 2007 to now.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You know the publishers who published the last few books you bought (or the last few books you took out of the library)? Those publishers are looking for new authors, too.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
A friend just sent me this one as they are apparently looking for proofreaders. It took me about 10 minutes to get my mouth closed again after gaping. HORRIFYING.

KENFUSION

ABSURDIST ALERT BEWARE !!!
Registered
Reaction score
looking for work on craigslist i got this.

"Need artists to create covers for our books. Find out more by going to pandoraprojectpublisher.com/artist/artist.html "

compensation is listed as "per assignment".

the above link takes you to a "submission" page .
what , i'm supposed to send art and see if they want to pay me an unknown amount?

glad, i stopped in here first. i'm still such a NOOB even after all these years.

it really would have been cool to illustrate book covers of werewolves, aliens, and wizards. i would have done some really cool stuff for them too!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website's gone; never published anyone else. Still active on Kindle.