• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Metaphysical Circus Press

Lmack

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this press?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Link?

ETA: found it here. http://www.metaphysicalcircus.com/

Don't know 'em, don't write for their market. The usual caveats apply: who is running the show, how long have they been in business, how well are their books selling, is there worrisome batshittery in the publishers' social media and interactions with their authors, etc.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Curious about this one.

The downside:

1) they are new (soft-launching all last year);
2) there are things about their mission statement and their publishing model that make me wince (marketing is on the backs of their authors, for example)
3) they seem to have published only a collection of short stories (written by their Publisher/Editor-in-Chief)
4) their staff is composed largely of writers with impressive bios but not much actual publishing experience

On the upside, they seem to publish the kind of stuff I write. Think I'll subscribe to their newsletter and see what they produce in 2015.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I know, right? They caught my eye because I have friends who write dark magic-realism stuff. I don't like being railroaded into subscribing to a company's newsletter or community to get basic information about them. I cringed at the same things you did, most of all the implication that their authors will be a labor source.

Ah well, wait and see.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Springs2. I was thinking about submitting something - either just straight up or for their contest (the $5 entry fee is reasonable in comparison to other contests). I'm still on the fence about it, though.