Rising from the Ashes - Another Battle Against PA

narcolepticgi

SSSSShhhhh! I'm taking a nap!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whypublishamerica.webs.com
I'm going to give all of you an ear full.
I just got my W-2 / 1099!! heee,hee,he
It is for $17,96...yep, beat ya' all. Now, as my fav, Paul Harvey use to say, here's the rest of the story.
In Feb, I was paid the "standard $2.80" for royalties on the 1st period, and a whopping $17.96 for the second period which ends on the 31st of July.
In late Aug I got an e-mail stating that I had earned $0.00 because I had sold no books...I replied to their little e-mal with a Cut and paste of the e-mail promotion anouncing my book in hard covers and it specifically said I'd be paid royalties and I had bought 9 copies...thus the $17.96.
Two days later, the check arrived...ecept the stub listed the ISBN for the soft cover. I really didn't pay much attention until just recently when I started my online campaign to bet my conttract released.
On Dec 12, I received an emial stating that they had looked into my question about the royalties for the hard bound purchase and that there had been a computer glitch...I swear, go to my website and read it for yourself.
On Dec 22, according to the stamp on the envelope, I got a check signed by Larry boy himself, yep, for $17.96.
Well, if you add it up, I made a whopping $38.72....UUUhhhh, why is the W-2 for $17.96?

So I have come to the following conclusion.
My contract clearly states in Item 11 that pa agrees to keep "true and acccurate accounting"...NOT!!!

I'm in the processs of sending a copy of the W-2 to the IRS as additional information concerning my filing of the Referal for for information...If ther is a mistake this big on my W-2, then there is at least one more out there.

I am inviting anyone currently in the struggle with PA, and others who have given up, but still under contract to go to my website, look it over and start one similar to it.
I'll become the point man, if you'll join ranks with me.

For the newbies who have signed and are still in communication with PA, I sure hope frustration didn't get the best of you and you blew away all of the e-mails. If not move them to a special folder in your mail box. I have over 130 in mine.

One last thing, as badly as I despise these people, when i get an offer to receive a 45% discount and they will double the order, my book drops to $5.47 per copy. As shoddy as the copies are, I can't print the book through Lulu that cheap.
If you are considering a "professional careeer' avoid PA like the plague. As for me, I have come to the conclusion they won't get anywhere near my "rewrite", my newest fiction endeavor (which just passed the 30,000 word count and is abut 1/2 finished), my wood craft book, or any future endeavors.

If you look at it that way, and are willing to completely promote and sell the book yourself, wait for the 45% offers and buy a slew.
I'm stating an e-store very shortly and will give any PA author a link to their website and promote your books there if you become a member and support my efforts.

I am www.whypublishamerica.webs.com
Drop in and see me.
I was posting at at another forum, where I took a lot of abuse, and my friend that I found there pointed me back to the water cooler... narcolepsy plays funny tricks on ones memory but the forum was dtapx or something like that...

I freely admit that I am an ameature, but that has nothing to do with the lies that PA perpetrates...

I have not shown how many authors I hae onboard yet, as I don't want PA to have all of the info.
You can view the checks, contract, e-mails (not all of them I've only posted about 60+ there), contaccts with the FBI, IC3, and IRS, letters to NBC Today, and Target, and a little album giving you a little more info about Oui :)

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's me again.
I wish to apologize for my "fat finger" and "hyper typing" as I have a tendency to to submit before proofing. My fingertips are numb from the results of A-O related Neuropathy. I either hit the key too hard or too softly at times and things get spelled wrong..
I'm pasionate about things, and PA has pushed my pasionate button until the thing got stuck in the down position, lol :)

A NARCOLEPTIC IN THE UNITED STATES ARMY
ISBN 1-60563-294-5 published May 2008

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep, you're right!! :)
I don't file taxes, I'm one of those welfare bums, SSA put me on disability after my sleep doctor persuaded me to file for disability for severe Narcolepsy/Cataplexy in 2004. Details of the life long trauma, including 13 months working around ground aircraft and the infamous huey are in the book. I'm buying some more shortly and will sell anyone from the water cooler one at cost plus.
Thanks for the quick reply, I've never had a 1099 before.
Thanks to your observation, I actually read the stupid thing. Not only is it wrong, but I now have their Federal tax iD number, heee,hee, he :))

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! :welcome: I'm glad you made it here! :D What took you so long? lol Pull up a chair, browse around the rest of the water cooler. You will find a lot of friendly people, and a wealth of information here. If you have questions about pretty much anything, someone around here will either know or help you find the answer. Great to see you hear!!!! You might want to get comfy though... AW is a BIG place! :D

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe they make you report ten dollars. I think that is BS. Thankfully, I only made $8.40 so peace. I'm not reporting that.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Hey, rsearchguy!
Are you a publisher? If you don't pay royalties, how do you pay the author?
I have published a few books by authors other than myself. I pay royalties on those. Because of the record-keeping & tax-reporting nuisance (plus that the undertaking has not been notably profitable), I do not intend to publish any more books by other people (aside, possibly, from my wife when/if she completes a suitable book). And I don't have to pay myself royalties (but of course meticulously report all revenues and expenses and pay all taxes due (income, sales, and use).

An alternative would be to pay a flat fee in lieu of royalties, but I'd have to research applicable tax-reporting/filing rules. If it is not a royalty arrangement, I think the $600 figure would apply, not the ridiculous $10 figure. But the business is still too time consuming and, over all, unprofitable.

--Ken

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey guys!
Got my reply from the Maryland BBB today.
If you want I'll cut and paste it here.
The short of it is that they gave me a complaint # and sent a query to pA to answer my charges.
I've already sent Clopper three letters, each politically correct and professional, but the only thing I got was flac and an offer to release the contract if I purchase 50 copies of my book.
On my website I have posted the IC3 complaint, the letter to the IRS and the complaint to the FTC.
I wrote them a e-mail to hanna@ and it bounced, she was the one who sent me thee e-mail to "cease and desist".
I just don't get it. I'm a tick on their back, and I'm not turning loose. I'm going to put a hit counter on my site to see how manytimes it is viewed.
I would really like to see some of you become members at my site so they will see that we are closing ranks. If not, then you can use it as amodel to follow the road I plow.
Intersting thought about the "double set of books". That is definately illegal.
I don't know about your contracts, but item 11 of mine (viewable at thee website) clearly states "...a true and accurate acounting".
Someone mentioned that they hadn't received 1099's, and i guess that the $1 advance is the exception to the rule, but I should have received a royalty statement for the months of June and July 2008 when the book first hit the internet.

Thank you for lettingme vent, it's a lonly world at PA.
By the way, has everyone read the reviews concerning Willems book, facinating reads they are.
one more and I'll go. Someone said that Willem is planning a word tour in a helicopter; being an old army aviation hangarrat, I sure hope his crewchief hasn't published anything with PA!!

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tweaked formatting

OMG :-O
I just finished reading the rest of todays posts and thought you might enjoy this e-mail I received from my inquiry to Baker and Taylor

Cut and Pasted:

RE: Information Request‏
Sent: Wed 12/23/09 6:32 PM
To: [email protected]

How much would this report cost me? and could it include all sales of PA books??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: FW: Information Request
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:59:55 -0400
To: [email protected]

We unfortunately can't help you. Your publisher should be able to tell you how many books they've shipped to us. We don't provide specific customer information. We charge a report fee which would provide what 'market' your books sold into but normally that is sold to the publisher.

Lisa Vira

Manager, Publisher Relations

Baker & Taylor, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:16 PM
To: Buying
Subject: FW: Information Request

Please see the request below from an author. Thanks so much.

Angela Little

Order Entry/Information Services

1-800-775-1800 option 6

Live Chat www.baker-taylor.com

[email protected]

[email protected]

"When responding please include all previous correspondence"

for technical assistance please call 800-775-3700 or [email protected]

Information Services operates Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm

"Please be advised that we do have online capabilities where our customers can register for free at www.btol.com to place orders, view order information, track shipments and print invoices after setup! Once you get to the website click on "Register for BTOL today" to begin the registration process."

Be sure to sign up now for BOSS (Before On-Sale Shipping), our new early ship program, so that you receive hot titles prior to street date. Click here to download and print the agreement. http://www.btol.com/pdfs/EarlyShip_Agreement.pdf

Mind you that I went through the entire list fonud at the Ingrams Distibutors site and have only ereceived aa few replies, alibris acknowleged that they had 8 copies on hand, but no record as to how many had been sold, or to whom. We'll see if the 8 copies show on my royalty statement for this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just left my website where I posted 20 more items in an album called Feb 2010

The reply from the Maryland BBB is posted, by the way they do not even list Publish America LLLP at all. The phone number on my 1099 leads to nowhere,
PA sent them a lame response (posted) and I immediately responded to their claims that I was "disparaging", folks I had to look that one up. OMG :) I hurt their feeelings!

The jerks over at the other forum got me a little hot under the collar, so I jumped in with both feet and put 40,000 words in my latest endeavor, a fantasy fiction, and I'm loving every second of it. I had a problem while editing a while ago and word 2007 didn't save my changes. OH well!

May our experiences with PA make us all stronger and wiser. I've posted some of my attempts at writing poetry on the Poetry critique forum, so give me some of your pent up anger, I won't mind.

God bless us...everyone!

OH! almost forgot, I sent Lighting Source an e-mail giving them my web address, just in case they can find some ammo to shoot PA in the billfold with, heee,hee,he!

Last edited:

narcolepticgi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mr Gillhoughly,
How much do you charge to edit, say 60,000 words? Fiction fantasy-illustrated?

As for the PA e-mails, two in two days, that's a new record.
Got a reply from PA to my complaint with the Maryland BBB. I'll post it at my website tomorrow, along with my rebuttal.

As for sending letters to the people/companies noted in PA e-mail promotions. Who ever said it was a waste of time was right. I sentreaction letters to NBC Today, Apple iPOD, Target, and several others, and only Target replied, saying it was not a brand issue.

I have as yet not had any reaction to my polite letters to Mr Clopper and the rebuttal from PA to the BBB was the last of my kind endeavors.

Spring is just around the corner, so look for me on UTUBE as I make my protest hike from Kentucky to Maryland to seek justice via the media. Should be an intersting 566 mile long trek, as my right foot is numb through the arch and my right knee isn't in much better shape. I figure onmaking 30 miles a day, so 20 days on the road should stir up some media outlet looking for a human interest story.

The more they try to cover me with mud, the angrier I get. I invite anyone near route 50 to join with me as I pass through your town. I'll be starting on Ohio route 32 until I get to Chillicothe.

I'm going to buy some of my books to sell on the way so I can fly home...I hope!

By the way my contract says that PA can sell my publishing contract to another publisher. I have a problem with paying $49 for them to put it into the iPOD format. How will I ever track electronic sales when I can't even be sure if paperbacks are being declared? OMG:-( I hate this black hole of despair that PA has cast my book into.

Does someone have an ISBN number they want to sell me? Actually I need three. Is the US mail a good way to copyright a book? The Feds want $35.

I must say that I do enjoy the posts here. Where do you guys get the cute little do-dads you put with your messages?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Is the US mail a good way to copyright a book? The Feds want $35.

Your work is copyrighted as soon as you produce it. If you're worried about theft of an unpublished work, don't be. It's something that very rarely happens.

If you're going to publish the work then it might be worth your time to register your copyright with the government. Please see www.copyright.gov for more information.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Does someone have an ISBN number they want to sell me? Actually I need three.

Bowker has all that you might want. You can buy 'em in blocks of ten.

No one else can sell you one, since the ISBN not only identifies the book, it identifies the publisher.

No, it isn't. Only copyright is copyright. The mail-a-copy-to-yourself so-called "poor man's copyright" is worthless. A waste of time and money.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
And if you deal with the copyright office by email, the cost to you is less because they give a discount.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
As for the do-dads, click on the "Go Advance" option in the reply window. Then you'll see a little smiley at the top. Click on him/her and a window opens with a few choices. To see them all there is an option at the bottom of that little window.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Mr Gillhoughly,
How much do you charge to edit, say 60,000 words? Fiction fantasy-illustrated?

I edit, but not a freelance in the way you want. Try the "Ask the Editor" forum here to locate a good freelancer.

Unless you're self-publishing (which is still better than using PA) then you self-edit the best you can, get feedback from other writers, and sub to a publisher that puts out books similar to your own. Even if you don't sub to a publisher, get as much feedback as you can.

I have as yet not had any reaction to my polite letters to Mr Clopper

Don't expect any. He's only interested in getting money from you, not promoting your writing career, not producing books to sell in stores.

I have a problem with paying $49 for them to put it into the iPOD format.

Then DON'T. You will never make that money back, and it just makes it easier for e-pirates to copy and give away your book.

How will I ever track electronic sales when I can't even be sure if paperbacks are being declared?

Well, you may not be able to. They just want more money from you, and you will never see a return on it in royalties. Most self-pub books never sell more than 75 copies. PA books don't sell even that many, unless the writer buys them. They don't pay royalties on writer-bought books.

Which is a reasonable sum for official registration with the Library of Congress, otherwise it is automatically copyrighted and recognized as such in the USA.

"The purpose of copyright registration is to place on record a verifiable account of the date and content of the work in question, so that in the event of a legal claim, or case of infringement or plagiarism, the copyright owner can produce a copy of the work from an official government source." - from the Wiki article

Any legit publisher pays that for you as part of a normal publishing process, along with the ISBN number.

I must say that I do enjoy the posts here. Where do you guys get the cute little do-dads you put with your messages?

Click the smile icon on the bar at the top of the box when you're composing a post.

I suggest you get to the library and read everything you can find about self-publishing, otherwise your next work is just going to fall victim to some other scamming ploy by some other operation. Read the self-pub forums here on AW so they can help you keep out of trouble.