• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

49Publishing

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I got it to load but it did take a while. Others, elsewhere, have noted the same issue.

Plus, apparently it doesn't show up in searches.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Bots, yes, but I thought there was some way to 'register' (likely not the right word) your metadata into google and whatnot. That way you control your search terms...

Am I making this up?

Fae Sutherland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
faesutherland.com
They recommend you back up your ebooks to a CD or a floppy. *checks calendar* Are floppies even made anymore? I know none of my computers even have A drives.

Not trying to be mean, but you'd think a publisher whose commerce is based around computers and modern technology would be a tad more 21st century than that.

Last edited:

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net
They recommend you back up your ebooks to a CD or a floppy. *checks calendar* Are floppies even made anymore? I know none of my computers even have A drives.

Not trying to be mean, but you'd think a publisher whose commerce is based around computers and modern technology would be a tad more 21st century than that.

I don't even think you can buy an external floppy drive even if you want to. It's just no longer made as far as I know.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even think you can buy an external floppy drive even if you want to. It's just no longer made as far as I know.

Yep, you can still get both internal and external floppy drives. And yep, hardly anyone uses floppies these days.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Her credentials for starting her own e-press are that she has been a senior editor at one publisher and editor at another...and yet the site has multiple typos.

That would be concerning to me. Unless whoever designed the website and provided the content would not be the editor?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yep, you can still get both internal and external floppy drives. And yep, hardly anyone uses floppies these days.

*nods in agreement with Stacia*

And my peeve with new pubs in general is that the "About Us" doesn't tell us much.
ASIDE: 3M, one of the major manufacturers of floppy disks, will be phasing out production next year.

I'd nod in agreement with Stacia, too, but my neck hurts.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
And she's only given herself 6 months to turn a profit.
This. A publisher just starting up can easily go six-nine months without seeing any money coming in because indie and national accounts take their sweet time about paying. Any publisher waiting desperately for that money to keep their doors open is an underfunded, naive publisher.

para

Registered
Reaction score
I just visited the owners blog and in the first post I found out far more about her personal business than I needed to know. Also I saw this:
http://aspergerdiaries.blogspot.com/2010/12/49-today-and-sunny.html
Not much else...just excited about life right now...my business partner for the spy business and I and Puppy also have a great idea for that business, but we're keeping it quiet for now. I have to do a lot of research to see if its feasible, and to see if there is a real profit to be made.
How much free time can she devote to the publishing business when she's starting up another company? On the plus side she's expecting a large inheritance.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't we also have another e-publisher who also owns tanning salons in Fla or some such place/thing...

Tanning and books, now why didn't I think of that????

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net
Her credentials for starting her own e-press are that she has been a senior editor at one publisher and editor at another...and yet the site has multiple typos.

That would be concerning to me. Unless whoever designed the website and provided the content would not be the editor?

Shouldn't she at least "edit" her website content first before letting it go live like that?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't she at least "edit" her website content first before letting it go live like that?

That is my concern. I hope this does not sound like I am ragging, because it is not meant that way. Simply that as an author, I trust my editors to catch ALL my grammar mistakes. And if I am catching theirs? My world is upside down, yo.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sounds like a well-meaning but clueless publisher, trying to cash in on the e-pub romance trends. The market will either shake her out in a year or so, or she'll survive on other profits. I would worry about the publishing being a side-business. Most of the small publishers I know are 70-hour-a-week maniacs, because they love their work and it demands so much.

I'm giving this one some time to see what happens.

Filigree

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A year later, and her blog's gone and the domain's expired. No sign of anything published.