Specs on the size, dimensions of a corral

franniescan

Exploring the Last Frontier
Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just trying to work on a little bit of writing since the writer's block finally vanished for a bit. Am struggling to depict how a corral should look back in the 1800s in Colorado. Would it have been high enough so that a horse could not jump over it...

I'm working out of the country from where all my resources are so I'm struggling to find anything on the internet that might reveal what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Fran

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Size would depend on available land, number of horses, even wealth of the owner. It would also depend on whether the horses were stabled there or had range elsewhere for grazing. I've seen minimums of anywhere from 10x12 ft per horse (very small) to 80x80 ft per horse.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen few corrals that a good horse couldn't jump, but good ones are high enough to make the horse doubt it can make the jump. I've never seen one with a fence lower than four feet, or higher than six feet, with most being right at five feet. Once upon a time, I worked with wild mustangs, and those sons of guns needed a six foot high fence, and even this didn't always stop one.

Unless the corral is used as a very temporary outdoor stall, it should have enough space for a horse to move around, to trot, if nothing else. Too many skimp on corral size, and it does the horses no favors. Bigger really is better.

I knew a rancher back when I was young who never fastened down the top rail. He'd seen horses so injured by trying to jump a fence that they had to be put down, and didn't want it to happen to his. I like what he did. I've watched two horses try to jump a fence that was a little two high, and both had to be put down.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on corrals, present or past, but just in case you're not aware, be sure the corral is built of wood and not barbed wire. The one thing I do know is horses and barbed wire don't mix well.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on corrals, present or past, but just in case you're not aware, be sure the corral is built of wood and not barbed wire. The one thing I do know is horses and barbed wire don't mix well.

That's the absolute truth.

franniescan

Exploring the Last Frontier
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I apologize for not getting back sooner. I have been traveling in Southeast Asia and had little opportunity to get to internet. Have noted all the thoughts and will see what I can create.

Thanks!

Fran