pitching a personality profile

Lia_joy

Registered
Reaction score
When you pitch a personality profile idea to a magazine, do you first secure the interview? Or do you sell the idea and then pursue the subject?

My idea is for a local women's magazine and I'd like to profile a local professional, who I've worked with so it's not like I'm after a celebrity but I also don't know for sure she'd be interested.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
In a case in which the whole article depends on the person you hope to interview, you should definitely get the subject on board before pitching. If you don't, you risk getting the assignment, and then not being able to write the article if your subject won't agree to the interview. That would make you appear unprofessional to the editor.

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Unless it's a huge star, your subject will probably work with you. He/she will agree to the interview knowing a published piece is forthcoming, then with that secured, you can pitch the idea to the publication.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Right--my approach is to call or email the interview subject before I begin pitching with something like, "I'm preparing a pitch to xxx magazine. If I get the assignment, would you agree to an interview?" And then I go on to tell them a little about the query process (it could take several weeks before I know anything, I may pitch more than one mag, etc). I also let them know how much of their time I'll need for the interview, and ask if they'd prefer an in-person or a face-to-face interview (depending, of course, on whether or not a face-to-face is even feasible).