How do you extroverts get yourself to sit down and write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of an odd question.

I'm a writer, but I am also an extrovert (don't know if this is rare or not, haha).

I sometimes find it very hard to convince myself to sit down and write, even if a story is just begging to burst free. I don't like to just "sit down" at any other time, if I do I feel restless.

Anyone like this? What's the cure (unless the cure is some extreme self-discipline...)?

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Bit of an odd question.

I'm a writer, but I am also an extrovert (don't know if this is rare or not, haha).

I sometimes find it very hard to convince myself to sit down and write, even if a story is just begging to burst free. I don't like to just "sit down" at any other time, if I do I feel restless.

Anyone like this? What's the cure (unless the cure is some extreme self-discipline...)?

Well, they have an option out where you dictate into a recorder, then use voice recognition to put it into the computer, though you might need to print to edit, if you can't sit at the keyboard.

It would allow movement, while still having creative output.

One person from Maryland during NaNo used to dictate his book while he drove to and from work. (2 hour trip each way) Then he'd upload each night. Think he hit something like 900,000 words that way...? Don't remember any more.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Just think of it as the dues you have to pay in order to be able to do book signings and readings. ;)

IDGS

@LeaveItToIan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.iandgsandusky.com
I'm in the same boat as OP.

It really just comes down to how badly you want it. If you want to get the book down, you'll do it. If not, you'll find an excuse.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of an odd question.

I think you have to want to sit down and write. You have to enjoy it. Sitting down must be something you want to do, like to do, or what's the point. Many, many writers are extroverts, but still sit down to write with no problem, simply because it's what they really want to be doing. Sitting down to write simply has nothing to do with being an extrovert.

Feeling restless most often just means you'd rather be doing something else. Find out what that something is and do it. You'll be happier.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as OP.

It really just comes down to how badly you want it. If you want to get the book down, you'll do it. If not, you'll find an excuse.

Yeah :/ I mean, I've been writing for about 10 years now. But as I said in my original post, my progress has begun to slow down.

I think it may be because my life used to be a lot more sedentary. Also doesn't help that my latest WIP is something I should have trunked a long time ago.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking, why you trunked your latest WIP?

And regarding your original question... I am also an extrovert. And like people posted, there really isn't anything more to say than "it comes down to how badly you want it."

2 tricks I use.

1. Get used to saying "no" to people asking you to go out for lunch, dinner, to the bar, club, whatever. If you originally planned on writing that day, just tell them you're busy. They won't miss you.

2. Go write somewhere else. It helps when I drive out to a coffeeshop that's at least 5, 10 minutes from home. Once you're out, you get the "well I'm already here... might as well do what I came to do" feeling. The change of scenery's always nice too.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being an extrovert and having self-discipline are not mutually exclusive personal traits. If you can't sit down and do things that are appealing to you, your problem is something other than just being an extrovert. Either that, or being extroverted is just a convenient excuse to avoid doing the work of writing.

android415

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking, why you trunked your latest WIP?

And regarding your original question... I am also an extrovert. And like people posted, there really isn't anything more to say than "it comes down to how badly you want it."

2 tricks I use.

1. Get used to saying "no" to people asking you to go out for lunch, dinner, to the bar, club, whatever. If you originally planned on writing that day, just tell them you're busy. They won't miss you.

2. Go write somewhere else. It helps when I drive out to a coffeeshop that's at least 5, 10 minutes from home. Once you're out, you get the "well I'm already here... might as well do what I came to do" feeling. The change of scenery's always nice too.

Thanks for the tips!

And my latest WIP is actually a re-write of a finished manuscript. I thought I could re-work the story into something better, but I find myself growing bored with the story (which is, in essence the same, I just had to fix some major plot holes). I've been "halfway done" for about 6 months now.

I'm wondering if that's the true source of my problem, and perhaps I should start something else? Although I'm kicking myself for wasting all this time.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Bit of an odd question.

Wanted to add this link, as all this talk of introverts/extroverts made me think of it. I thought it was cute.

http://sveidt.deviantart.com/art/How-to ... -291305760

Enjoy!

Now back to your regularly-scheduled thread.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!

And my latest WIP is actually a re-write of a finished manuscript. I thought I could re-work the story into something better, but I find myself growing bored with the story (which is, in essence the same, I just had to fix some major plot holes). I've been "halfway done" for about 6 months now.

I'm wondering if that's the true source of my problem, and perhaps I should start something else? Although I'm kicking myself for wasting all this time.

I've never believed that any WIP is worth abandoning completely. I don't know if that's naive of me to say or not, but that's just my opinion. I see WIP's like play-dough. If it doesn't work one way, you can always mold it into something else. I mean, no one's limiting your creativity but yourself. There are no boundaries in where you can take your story.

But really, it's whatever gets the creative juices flowing. If starting from scratch is what it takes to get you writing, then by all means.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What makes it hard for you to convince yourself to sit down and write? Is it the fact that you have too much energy or something?

I'm an extrovert and I set aside my mornings to write. Then I have lunch with friends etc, so my need to socialize and bitch do not eat into my writing time.

I used to lack discipline...so what I did was get myself to a cafe with just my notebook and a pen and sit there for three to four hours. I was so undisciplined that I couldn't have my laptop with me because I'd just end up playing Minesweeper. Eventually, after I got used to spending that time to write, it became easier and easier and I find that writing is quite effortless now. Of course, this doesn't really have much to do with extro/introvert personalities...it's more of a penchant for procrastination. :D

madrynea

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thalanien.com
I've never believed that any WIP is worth abandoning completely.

I think there's one case, one that I've encountered--when you have absolutely no emotional attachment to any part of the manuscript. When you don't care about the characters, find all of it dull, and you don't care whether the story lives or dies. Then, I think, it's as well to start over with something new.

And yes, I wrote 120k about a story I felt that way about. Don't ask me how. My second name is discipline. :p

android415

Registered
Reaction score
What makes it hard for you to convince yourself to sit down and write? Is it the fact that you have too much energy or something?

I'm an extrovert and I set aside my mornings to write. Then I have lunch with friends etc, so my need to socialize and bitch do not eat into my writing time.

I used to lack discipline...so what I did was get myself to a cafe with just my notebook and a pen and sit there for three to four hours. I was so undisciplined that I couldn't have my laptop with me because I'd just end up playing Minesweeper. Eventually, after I got used to spending that time to write, it became easier and easier and I find that writing is quite effortless now. Of course, this doesn't really have much to do with extro/introvert personalities...it's more of a penchant for procrastination. :D

Good tips, thanks. :) And yeah, I have a lot of energy.

But on the plus side, I've written 300 words today! That's a start!

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Being an extrovert and having self-discipline are not mutually exclusive personal traits. If you can't sit down and do things that are appealing to you, your problem is something other than just being an extrovert. Either that, or being extroverted is just a convenient excuse to avoid doing the work of writing.
I agree. Being introverted/extroverted has nothing to do with concentration.

Now, time to actually write? That's a different beast. I'm not particularly extroverted or introverted, but when my schedule is full, I never have time to devote to my blog.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an extrovert and I still sit down and write every day. Self-discipline has never been one of my strongest traits, so I know that's not what keeps me writing. For me, it comes down to loving the act of writing.

Well, that and getting paid. Getting paid is nice, too.

Trevor Z

Learning About New Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorzawalich.com
I'm pretty introverted, but writing can still be draining. It doesn't really fill the "I need to be alone to recharge now" battery in the same way that reading or relaxing does.

The writing can be your work--you get to hang out with friends afterwards--just like any other job.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I'm very extroverted, and writing outside of home is my solution too. I take my laptop or my notebooks out and write in cafes, food courts, parks, in my car on the side of the road. Being out gives me the external stimulation that my brain thinks it needs. Once it's had its fill, I can go home and write at my desk.

Generally I have sensory overload when I'm trying to write, though - constant nagging of my extroverted children who want me to make their lives more interesting ;)

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I consider myself an introvert, but still find it difficult to sit down and write. I love to do it, it's just there are so many distractions. kids, housework, studies, reading, and the dreaded TV.

I think it all comes down to discipline and wanting to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.