• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

G Agency, LLC (Jeff Gerecke)

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Jeff Gerecke was with JCA Literary Agency, but now he does business c/o Gina Maccoby Literary Agency.

P&E has this: $ An agent (Literary, Adult) with Gina Maccoby Literary Agency.

PM lists 32 deals over the years including fiction and non-fiction, but nothing better than a "nice deal." Several of his deals are UK or Canada or foreign rights.

Can anyone please proffer a perspective on Jeff Gerecke for a newbie like me?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
PM lists 32 deals over the years including fiction and non-fiction, but nothing better than a "nice deal."

Here are the ranges:
nice deal: $1 - $49,000
very nice deal: $50,000 - $99,000
good deal: $100,000 - $250,000
significant deal: $251,000 - $499,000
major deal: $500,000 and up

I've queried him on 3 books. Two passes in one to three weeks, and one request for the MS in one week (as an email attachment), but if he ever replied on that one, I don't have a record of it.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Julie. I'm wondering if he can do any better than a "nice deal." When did you query him and was it for fiction or non-fiction?

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Thanks, Julie. I'm wondering if he can do any better than a "nice deal." When did you query him and was it for fiction or non-fiction?

A "nice deal" is often the "only deal" for a first-time author. Unless you're a published author or have that rare something with blockbuster potential (as agents and editors perceive it), you're not likely to garner an advance of $50K or more. Most debut authors settle for far less.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score

This was for fiction, and he asked for the full shortly after he went c/o.

As for the "nice deal" thing, does it have any meaning? If you had one "very nice deal," would you list it there where all your nice deal clients could see it?

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This was for fiction, and he asked for the full shortly after he went c/o.

As for the "nice deal" thing, does it have any meaning? If you had one "very nice deal," would you list it there where all your nice deal clients could see it?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. PM lists the deals of which they are aware and their website had a problem yesterday. I couldn't see the second page of listings. I sent them an email and they corrected it. I now see that Jeff Gerecke had a "good deal" in February 2002. That makes me feel better.

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
Just remember, the larger the advance, the better the book has to do to earn out, and sometimes, the publisher might have outsized expectations that are dashed. A "nice" deal
(up to 49k) is better than no deal.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else had experience with him? Thanks.

a.vij

Registered
Reaction score
has anybody had any experience with Mr. Gerecke lately? he's had my full for a month now, and the lack of activity on this thread is making me a tad nervous...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

a.vij

Registered
Reaction score
thanks CaoPaux, he did give me an eight week time frame, i still have three weeks to go before i can bug him!

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody heard from Jeff recently? From the listing on AgentQuery he is a very good match for my novel. I queried him last month but still no response. Since he says on PM that one nudge is OK I am planning on doing that in January.... Thanks!

jacquiegum

Author
Registered
Reaction score
My editor submitted a full to him in Feb 2010 and got no response. I just checked his Pub marketplace page and he struck out on his own June 1 2010. Sent a status inquiry - maybe he didn't get the full via emial or it got lost in the hub-bub. Here is the Pub Marketplace link
www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/jeffg/

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Good agent interview here with Mr. Gerecke

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I met Jeff at Killer Nashville in August. Very smart, pleasant, knows his business very well. He's on his own now and has started G Agency, LLC.

I queried him after meeting him in Nashville and he asked for the full immediately.

That was two months ago. I sent a follow up today (he said to nudge). He said he's taken on a reader to help him get through the reading and said he hoped to be back to me in the next few weeks.
He responded almost immediately to the nudge. He's swamped, so his response on requested material is a bit extended beyond normal.

Hopefully I'll hear from him in a few weeks!

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
So far, Jeff has been a great guy to me. I managed to get my full solicited by Random House; I told Jeff about this, and despite being swamped, he asked me to send my story right away. When he received it, he let me know that he'd start reading it immediately. He could have just as easily waved me off as a bullshit artist and have refused to look at anything from me from that point on, but he decided to trust me instead and give me a shot.

_Richard

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
A "nice deal" is often the "only deal" for a first-time author. Unless you're a published author or have that rare something with blockbuster potential (as agents and editors perceive it), you're not likely to garner an advance of $50K or more. Most debut authors settle for far less.
I certainly would. And I'd be ecstatic to win a $50,000 advance. I've never seen money like that before, and I could do a hell of a lot of good with it, I think, like put at least half of it in US government bonds -- the safest investment there is -- and start a 529 plan for my kids.

_Richard

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I attended a conference and met him there. A group of us had drinks together after one of the sessions, and he said, "go ahead. Pitch." So I told him about my book. He said "oh. So it's sort of literary. That could work." *grin*
We all had dinner together. He's a very smart, pleasant man. After the conference I sent him an email and he asked for my manuscript. I sent it. When I followed up with him he said he was buried under and was needing to hire a reader to get through it. I haven't nudged again. He was a very fast responder to email - query and follow-up, but swamped with agenting so a slow reader. Though it sounds like telling him that you have interest from a publisher might speed him up.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I queried him a few months ago and I'm still waiting to hear. He asked for my full the same day, which is the best response I've gotten so far! Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queried him just now. I'll keep in touch with any progress. Any word on if he'll launch a website? QueryTracker only gives an email.