What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpierae

the UnID
Registered
Reaction score
Or just finished reading? I know there are a lot of threads with recommended YA books, favorites and stuff, but I'm curious to know which books people here are actually reading (whether or not they would recommend them later on).

I just finished reading What Happened to Lani Garver by Carol Plum-Ucci.

I'd never heard of it, and was surprised by how much I liked it.
(Shady and reen, I think you two would especially enjoy it: Possible angels and gender ambiguities. What's not to like?)

Please let us all know, what are you reading?

xxxrae

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen.

It was well-written with some interesting, quirky characters, but a bit too much chick-lit for my taste (I read it more for homework than for entertainment).

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE What Happened to Lani Garver. So much that I went and bought it after I'd read it from the library. (I don't think Shady was crazy about it, though)

Right now I'm reading:

Nightwood by Patricia Windsor
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr (i haven't actually started this yet)
The Insiders by J.Minter

traininvain

bonafide hustler
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, parts of which I loved and parts of which I very much did not like. I feel like I'm the only one who didn't go crazy over it.

I'm currently in the middle of You, Maybe by Rachel Vail, a fast and fluffy read but enjoyable, and Nailed by Patrick Jones, which I will probably put down unless it picks up in the next chapter.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading City of Ashes by Cassie Clare. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the first one because it feels like Clare has settled into the story.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
Just finished Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen.

It was well-written with some interesting, quirky characters, but a bit too much chick-lit for my taste (I read it more for homework than for entertainment).

I wasn't a big fan of Keeping the Moon. I like her other work better. If you haven't tried This Lullaby, give it a shot. It's my favorite Dessen.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I'm reading City of Ashes by Cassie Clare. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the first one because it feels like Clare has settled into the story.

It's good to know you like the second book better, because I'm having a hard time falling in love with the first. It feels very Charmed to me, which isn't a bad thing, but it leaves me waiting for something really original to happen.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I started Lani Garver and couldn't get into it. I tend to have a problem with her books. Haven't finished any of them.

I'm actually not reading anything at them moment, but I'm just about to start The Burn Journals and I'm quite looking forward to it.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I read The Burn Journals and I liked it until the end. Then I was very disappointed. Only because it ended so...well, abruptly.

Still a good book, though.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
well I read Maybe and it was like ohmansignlanguagedramageeksorgasmmylife so yeah, I figured I'd better read this one.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott (I got an ARC) -- it's fabulous.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Specials by Scott Westerfeld, which is the third in a SF YA trilogy* and is depressingly good. Have just finished reading Un Lu Dun by China Mieville, which is wonderfully subversive take on many of the tropes you see in YA fantasy.

Trish - I know what you mean about City of Bones. I felt like I was having a constant attack of deja vu all the way through the book. City of Ashes is a better read because the material starts to be used in a more distinctive way and I'll probably try to get a copy of the final book in the trilogy when it comes out next year. If you're looking for something more different, then I'd recommend Un Lun Dun or Justine Larbelestier's Magic or Madness trilogy, which blew me away.

MM

* Which later became a quartet with Extras (and I'm going to read that next).

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'd Tell You I Love you But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter.

And a couple manga

LitFa

Writing Frantically
Registered
Reaction score
oh sage, I read I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You and Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy like 2 weeks ago, they are both really cute books. The book I just finished is Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, I enjoyed it and can't wait to read Ink Exchange.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower-- Shady Lane's recommendation and I loved it. And now I'm reading Elsewhere.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I have The Book Thief by my bed, but I haven't started it.

Truthfully, the only YA I've read recently is only a WIP - really rough, not even a complete draft - slated for the launch-list of a new imprint of HarperCollins. So, basically, I like to think I'm cutting edge.

I need to get reading... This thread makes me want to read more YA. Immediately.

MerryDay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
evemarieperry.com
I just finished This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I've only read one other SD book (Keeping The Moon, actually...which is mentioned above) and I must say this is my favorite of the two. She did a really good job making the two main characters realistic and completely sympathetic. Great book.

...sitting on my night stand waiting to be read are: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway and Airhead by Meg Cabot. From reading reviews, I have high hopes for both of these books. (And now just want finals to be over, so I can read them!)

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
It's good to know you like the second book better, because I'm having a hard time falling in love with the first. It feels very Charmed to me, which isn't a bad thing, but it leaves me waiting for something really original to happen.

Yes, I had problems with a lot of things in the first book, but the story starts becoming more her own in the second book. I haven't finished it yet, though, so I can only speak for the first third or so.

vfury

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Specials by Scott Westerfeld, which is the third in a SF YA trilogy* and is depressingly good. Have just finished reading Un Lu Dun by China Mieville, which is wonderfully subversive take on many of the tropes you see in YA fantasy.

I love those books by Scott Westerfeld. Un Lun Dun restored my faith that turning a lot of YA fantasy tropes on their head can be done extremely well. :)

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rereading Herbie Brennan's Purple Emperor. I really really really want to read Un Lun Dun, but I am having les difficulties locating it in my local BN so I might have to restort to Amazon.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I just finished This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I've only read one other SD book (Keeping The Moon, actually...which is mentioned above) and I must say this is my favorite of the two. She did a really good job making the two main characters realistic and completely sympathetic. Great book.

...sitting on my night stand waiting to be read are: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway and Airhead by Meg Cabot. From reading reviews, I have high hopes for both of these books. (And now just want finals to be over, so I can read them!)

I have not read Airhead, yet, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Audrey, Wait! It's one of my favorites of 2008 so far.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading HOW TO BE BAD by E. Lockhart, Lauren Myracle, and Sarah Mylnowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.