• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Tails of the Cowardly Lion and Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonTheistDirector

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.WogglebugLoveProductions.net
Chris Dulabone is not a nice man at all! I will always count allowing him to publishing my first book for me as among the worst mistakes I ever made.

For one thing, he claims to be a not-for-profit publisher who just wants to publish books totally in devotion to the Oz series. However, I am not so sure if the former part of this statement is truthful. I mean, he always publishes other people's books through Lulu.com and lists himself as the publisher. Although he does pay the illustrators of the books by other authors actually. From the beginning after my first book was published by him I honestly found myself thinking "Well, if publishing through Lulu was all he was going to do anyway, then what was the point of me ever allowing him to publish for me at all?"

Chris is one seriously delusional nutcase with a major ego problem. This fact is further supported by how, just as I completed the first draft of my manuscript for my next book, he insisted he found a better illustrator for me then Mike Leuszler. But when I saw the drawing of the Wogglebug he sent me from this other artist, it honestly looked so goofy it would be much more appropriate for some sort of ridiculous parody of Oz I would not even write. Even if I did write parodies, which I do not!

When I said no to Chris about replacing Mike as my illustrator, he kept on ranting and raving about how he much he hated Mike's illustrations. He claimed they sucked and were the worst he ever saw. Since I both, know that Mike's illustrations are beautiful and fit my visions splendidly, and have seen illustrations in books Chris published that have the look of scribbles done by a first grader, I thus had every perfect right to yell at Chris while announcing I'll never publish anything through him again, and then immediately demanded him to remove this edition he published of my first book from being in print.

I am pleased to announce I have republished my first volume all by myself through CreateSpace, with my own logo of WogglebugLove Productions on it. In which the original text is intact as I want it to be. And Mike is my illustrator of it still, and in addition to the first 18 pictures, he also did another 12. While also correcting a very minor flaw in his original design of the Wogglebug. I must encourage all to purchase a copy of my one and only genuine edition of this volume, and stay as far away from this disgraceful product put out only by Chris Dulabone.

When I admitted to Mike how Chris had betrayed me and him he responded: "What was wrong with my drawings for the first book the first time around? Besides the initial mistake I'd made then by drawing the Wogglebug's tongue out, which Chris ought to have pointed out to me, if anyone." That's right!

Mike said this mistake he made at first had been due to some sort of miscommunication on his part. Of course, one small mistake will never make any artist a bad one, or any writer for that matter, either. Especially if that mistake can be easily corrected. I made my mistake by publishing through Chris, and not just myself on my first try. That is now changed forever.

Mike also wanted to know this, "If he thought my art was crap, why did he use the first book's cover image as his Facebook avatar for so long?"

So therefore, writers who are actually interested in publishing Oz-based books intended to contribute to the series out of being a fan, I strongly advise you all to avoid publishing through Chris Dulabone at Tails of the Cowardly Lion and Friends! Also, all artists everywhere who want to work for a publisher who will actually appreciate their art the way it is, and also give constructive criticism when needed, and never deconstructive criticism when not needed, should seriously seek elsewhere as far from this guy as possible! Because Chris has proven he is not interested in the needs and visions of the authors he publishes for. But just interested in appeasing his own ego, which is one that is completely devoid of any common sense or intelligence!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Dulabone is not a nice man at all! I will always count allowing him to publishing my first book for me as among the worst mistakes I ever made.

For one thing, he claims to be a not-for-profit publisher who just wants to publish books totally in devotion to the Oz series. However, I am not so sure if the former part of this statement is truthful. I mean, he always publishes other people's books through Lulu.com and lists himself as the publisher.

If he is the publisher, then I don't see the problem here.

Although he does pay the illustrators of the books by other authors actually. From the beginning after my first book was published by him I honestly found myself thinking "Well, if publishing through Lulu was all he was going to do anyway, then what was the point of me ever allowing him to publish for me at all?"

This is why you should have researched the publisher before you signed with them.

Chris is one seriously delusional nutcase with a major ego problem. This fact is further supported by how, just as I completed the first draft of my manuscript for my next book, he insisted he found a better illustrator for me then Mike Leuszler. But when I saw the drawing of the Wogglebug he sent me from this other artist, it honestly looked so goofy it would be much more appropriate for some sort of ridiculous parody of Oz I would not even write. Even if I did write parodies, which I do not!

When I said no to Chris about replacing Mike as my illustrator, he kept on ranting and raving about how he much he hated Mike's illustrations. He claimed they sucked and were the worst he ever saw. Since I both, know that Mike's illustrations are beautiful and fit my visions splendidly, and have seen illustrations in books Chris published that have the look of scribbles done by a first grader, I thus had every perfect right to yell at Chris while announcing I'll never publish anything through him again, and then immediately demanded him to remove this edition he published of my first book from being in print.

It's best if you stick to specifics and don't call people names. You're coming across as very unprofessional, and difficult to work with.

I am pleased to announce I have republished my first volume all by myself through CreateSpace, with my own logo of WogglebugLove Productions on it. In which the original text is intact as I want it to be. And Mike is my illustrator of it still, and in addition to the first 18 pictures, he also did another 12. While also correcting a very minor flaw in his original design of the Wogglebug. I must encourage all to purchase a copy of my one and only genuine edition of this volume, and stay as far away from this disgraceful product put out only by Chris Dulabone.

This is meant to be a thread about the publisher in question, not a promotional thread for your book.

When I admitted to Mike how Chris had betrayed me and him he responded: "What was wrong with my drawings for the first book the first time around? Besides the initial mistake I'd made then by drawing the Wogglebug's tongue out, which Chris ought to have pointed out to me, if anyone." That's right!

Mike said this mistake he made at first had been due to some sort of miscommunication on his part. Of course, one small mistake will never make any artist a bad one, or any writer for that matter, either. Especially if that mistake can be easily corrected. I made my mistake by publishing through Chris, and not just myself on my first try. That is now changed forever.

Mike also wanted to know this, "If he thought my art was crap, why did he use the first book's cover image as his Facebook avatar for so long?"

So therefore, writers who are actually interested in publishing Oz-based books intended to contribute to the series out of being a fan, I strongly advise you all to avoid publishing through Chris Dulabone at Tails of the Cowardly Lion and Friends! Also, all artists everywhere who want to work for a publisher who will actually appreciate their art the way it is, and also give constructive criticism when needed, and never deconstructive criticism when not needed, should seriously seek elsewhere as far from this guy as possible! Because Chris has proven he is not interested in the needs and visions of the authors he publishes for. But just interested in appeasing his own ego, which is one that is completely devoid of any common sense or intelligence!

Insults, ranting and self promotion. Also, you appear to be a sock puppet. Goodbye!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I know the books are in public domain, but does the fact that the movie isn't have any bearing on books being written in that world? I feel like I'd heard that the movie rights holders were very strict about making sure nothing resembled the movies. I'm just wondering if setting up a publisher around Oz could have legal ramifications.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am pretty sure it is public domain now. The series had multiple authors from very early on and there are a lot of Oz books from various publishers on Amazon.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
I know the books are in public domain, but does the fact that the movie isn't have any bearing on books being written in that world? I feel like I'd heard that the movie rights holders were very strict about making sure nothing resembled the movies. I'm just wondering if setting up a publisher around Oz could have legal ramifications.

I read about that previously too. There was an issue with things that were invented for the movie, and some "visual representation". (I even heard that there were lawyers present during the filming of the "remake" to make sure there was a different shade of yellow on the yellow brick road.)
You get a lot of hits by googling "the wonderful wizard of oz movie remake copyright", this one is perhaps one of the most relevant to this discussion. (Could be others, I didn't look at everyone.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The author's rant above is also her review on Amazon.

This reeks of Golden Word Syndrome. Honestly, even if a publisher is terrible, this is not the way to respond to it. It just makes the author look bad.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I read about that previously too. There was an issue with things that were invented for the movie, and some "visual representation". (I even heard that there were lawyers present during the filming of the "remake" to make sure there was a different shade of yellow on the yellow brick road.)
You get a lot of hits by googling "the wonderful wizard of oz movie remake copyright", this one is perhaps one of the most relevant to this discussion. (Could be others, I didn't look at everyone.)

Yup, this is what I was talking about. I'm sure it's possible to write a book based around the Wizard of Oz that doesn't infringe on any rights, but it seems a bit like walking a tightrope. I'd hope that the publisher in question had a very good legal team and understanding of exactly where the lines were drawn with regards to the law.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It's a bit like Robin Hood. Stick to the old stuff and avoid modern movies, cartoon foxes etc.

I should tell this to my students when they write their book reports and the plot sounds suspiciously similar to a certain Kevin Costner film... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.