• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Stairway Press

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely not geared toward writers. The submission information is bare bones ("send us a query," more or less) and contains this rather odd phrase:

Stairway Press is not a vanity press. All checks are signed by us and have an author's name on the 'Pay to' line.

If I'm reading it right, they seem to offer "book publishing services" - but I can't tell whether that's separate from actual publishing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why/how the books in their bestseller list aren't all published by Stairway Press.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I queried to see and I quickly got a R, saying they don't take YA. So that rules that out.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why/how the books in their bestseller list aren't all published by Stairway Press.
Those are its imprints (Curva Peligrosa, The Armchair Adventurer, and Shadow Lake Press)

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They have a bare bones contract, and give a 1K signing bonus (it's not an advance), plus royalties, but I can't remember what else. They are owned by a larger company that's not a publisher. I've seen a copy of one of their books. Very compact and very good looking. Haven't read it yet, so I don't know what the editing is like.

The author is very pleased with the treatment he got from this press. His book is doing quite well.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Those are its imprints (Curva Peligrosa, The Armchair Adventurer, and Shadow Lake Press)

Oops! I'd looked for a thing about imprints and just didn't see it. I must have totally overlooked that. Entirely possible considering how stupidly insane last week was.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, how cool, Christy. So when did you submit? Was it a long wait?

I was bummed out when they said they didn't take YA. They look like a good place.