Saving documents as word docs on Mac.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move your thread slightly, Michelle. This is more of a "tech talk" discussion, I think.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I use Pages. It has the ability to read .doc and .docx and write to .doc. (and .rft, etc.)

I like Pages a lot, but that may be because the program I use most often to wrangle text is FrameMaker, due to my day job (technical writing). Pages has some of the neat layout features of Frame while being more word-process-y, too. It's a good tool. And it doesn't try to do things for you, like Word wants to.

However, if you're doing a lot of back-and-forth with someone using Word with change tracking turned on, that can get a bit glitchy. Hence, I have both Pages and Word on my Mac.

Deleted member 42

I don't actually Like Microsoft Office; I use it as required.

I like Pages, quite a lot. Also Scrivener, and BBEdit, and TextExpander, iPhoto, iMovie.

There are some nifty free apps:

TextWrangler from Barebones software
Bean
Growly Notes
DropBox
Seashore

MichelleJean

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Alleycat for posting in the incorrect area!

I use Pages. It has the ability to read .doc and .docx and write to .doc. (and .rft, etc.)

I like Pages, quite a lot. Also Scrivener, and BBEdit, and TextExpander, iPhoto, iMovie.

Amergina and Medievalist - I have pages and it must be me, but I do not know how to save copies as word docs. I really don't want to buy Office (if it came down to that - I'd probably just buy a super cheap netbook with Office starter).

I have pages, scrivener and openoffice and even in openoffice I cann't save anything as a word doc. It always gives me error messages. My husband and I have had our dual Macs for about four years and everything is relatively perfect except for this one issue I've been having (I won't go into the issue I've been having with the plastic parts by the keyboard and trackpad right now!)

I really do appreciate the responses since I need to figure something out rather quickly.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was no problem whatsoever. We just try to find the best fit for a thread when we can. Besides being pests at times, that's what the moderators are here for.

Moving a thread isn't a problem.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Amergina and Medievalist - I have pages and it must be me, but I do not know how to save copies as word docs. I really don't want to buy Office (if it came down to that - I'd probably just buy a super cheap netbook with Office starter).

I have pages, scrivener and openoffice and even in openoffice I cann't save anything as a word doc. It always gives me error messages. My husband and I have had our dual Macs for about four years and everything is relatively perfect except for this one issue I've been having (I won't go into the issue I've been having with the plastic parts by the keyboard and trackpad right now!)

I really do appreciate the responses since I need to figure something out rather quickly.

Yeah, it's an export, rather than a save-as:

1. In Pages, from the File menu, choose Export.
2. In the box that drops down, click on the Word document.
3. Click Next.
The Save As dialog box displays.
4. Choose a location for the document, then click Export.

Voila! Your document is saved as a .doc.

MichelleJean

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an export, rather than a save-as:

1. In Pages, from the File menu, choose Export.
2. In the box that drops down, click on the Word document.
3. Click Next.
The Save As dialog box displays.
4. Choose a location for the document, then click Export.

Voila! Your document is saved as a .doc.

You are my favorite person today for this - thank you so much!!!!

Bean. Out of every word processor I've used on the Mac, Bean has been the best.

http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

I'm going to check this one out as well - thank you!