Europeans Abroad Thread!

Tyler Danann

Registered
Reaction score
Any other Euro's overseas in foreign lands?

I find writing comes more naturally when I'm actually away from Europe!
Weird I know but that's how it is.

If I'm in the states or elsewhere it's good, but Europe is just not in the groove alas.

Anyway, do any Euro folk on here get into writing when they are on holiday, travel and so on?

I'm in Asia right now, pretty neat place and plenty to 'muse'
at too.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Well I'm still in Europe but Irish living in France. I find writing the same no matter where I am to be honest, but I do worry that I don't speak English every day, so I'm afraid my writing will suffer. When I speak to family I sometimes stumble looking for the right word. When writing I think it's OK cause I have time to remember the word I'm looking for.

Eibhy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Well I'm still in Europe but Irish living in France. I find writing the same no matter where I am to be honest, but I do worry that I don't speak English every day, so I'm afraid my writing will suffer. When I speak to family I sometimes stumble looking for the right word. When writing I think it's OK cause I have time to remember the word I'm looking for.
Hey! Funny story. I'm French and I live in Ireland. In my case, moving meant I also switched writing language. I now write exclusively in English. I much prefer it. I find English less rigid than French and after seven and a half years living here, it just comes more naturally to me.

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Eibhy,
That's strange for me because I couldn't imagine writing in French (too much effort getting accords right) but a friend of mine told me the same as you. She's French and has written a book in English and would like to translate it into French but can't be bothered herself, too much like work. I really can't understand it!!

Eibhy

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's because English offers so much more freedom than French. English is much more precise, much more nuanced and allows for much more freedom than french does. I can use just one preposition in English when it would take a whole subordinate proposition in French. I can take a lot of nouns and use them as verbs or turn them into adjectives, which is impossible in French. And English is in the Guinness book for the greatest number of words of any language.
Not that you can't write great things in French too, but once I'd tried English, I just couldn't go back.

Artifex

Registered
Reaction score
Any other Euro's overseas in foreign lands?

I find writing comes more naturally when I'm actually away from Europe!
Weird I know but that's how it is.

If I'm in the states or elsewhere it's good, but Europe is just not in the groove alas.

Anyway, do any Euro folk on here get into writing when they are on holiday, travel and so on?

I'm in Asia right now, pretty neat place and plenty to 'muse'
at too.

I am a Finn living in the United States at the moment. I like writing best when I travel. If I could, I would probably travel four months of the year. I would get a lot more done. :)

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Goede middag!

Hey all, I'm an American girl transplanted to Holland. I'm originally from California, and also trying to find my writing groove in Europe.

KemalKinali

Registered
Reaction score
I was born, raised and living in Denmark, although I am Turkish of blood :D

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'm a Scot, now in Canada (Newfoundland ) since 2007.

The Newfie accent is just as strong as the strongest Scottish ones, and makes for interesting conversations.

Noniej

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Irish living in New Zealand and I write more here than I ever did back home, or in London, or in The Netherlands. :)