Errr, how exactly do you find out how big a market is?

scribbledoutname

Nobody said I couldn't.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my new MS and I'm letting it sit. I've got a bunch of ideas for what to start next and the future but there isn't really anything to compare them to. My stories don't really seem to line up with anything that's out there.

So is it safe to assume that a story has a big market if you can see a lot of people enjoying it? I can't really say any of them are niche exactly. Mostly action/adventures based on different themes (strife in a witch's world, kitsune troubles spilling over into the human world, a gryphon shapeshifter community and their troubles... fantasy stuff) with a little bit of romance thrown in... but they're not really similar enough in storyline to say This one'll be good for fans of Graceling or That one'll be good for people who like Northern Lights. They're not PNR either, so I can't really pass it off as me switching out the MC's supernatural lover with another mythical creature.

I'm not doing anything experimental with my writing style or story structure and like I said, they're about the characters. So how do I tell if certain stories will have a big market, especially when nothing similar has been done?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Well assuming you're going to query it, you don't really need to figure out the size of the market. Comparable titles aren't a requirement.

But if the writing is good and the story interesting, but not marketable you'll get a lot of query responses that say something like "I love this, but have no idea how I'd place it."

If it's not niche, then agents will be excited to read something new. Also try getting a few beta readers that read a lot of YA, specifically your genre. They may suggest comp titles.

But yeah, I wouldn't stress over it. How marketable something is doesn't necessarily depend on the size of the market. A lot of factors play into it.