• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Apex Book Company / Apex Magazine

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking for a home for my first novel, and was unsure about one of the small presses. I emailed to ask them some questions, and they posted the answers on their blog. Here's the info, FWIW, but I'm sure you writer-types can probably spot twenty more questions I didn't ask.

http://www.apexbookcompany.com/blog/2009/04/answer-to-your-questions-apex-books/

I'm still not sure if I should submit, or if I should continue to wait for a better deal...it's a horror novel, so it's a tough sell.

--Dev

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Ingram and B&T are wholesale, not distributors. They don't sell books to bookstores and libraries, they just fulfill orders coming in. So I'd be curious as to how exactly they get into independant stores. Also, I'm curious about how well they do with their no returns, given that I've heard a lot of bookstores tend not to deal with books that are not returnable. More questions are warranted I think.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're a small press, but quite respectable, and I've heard only positive feedback about them. The fact that Jen Pelland, whose story was on the Nebula shortlist, chose them to publish her collection also makes me think well of them.

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Samurai especially.

Anyway, it's my first novel, and it hasn't sold yet. I've been sending out queries and partials (and one full!) for about six months, and I'm I'm 60k words into my second one, and I've got some ideas growing for a third, but I was hoping finding a professional publisher for the first one would be easier...silly me.

Any advice, Samurai?

--Dev

JenPelland

Storm in the form of a girl
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferpelland.com
They're a small press, but quite respectable, and I've heard only positive feedback about them. The fact that Jen Pelland, whose story was on the Nebula shortlist, chose them to publish her collection also makes me think well of them.

Actually, to be honest, they chose me. I hadn't been planning on a collection, but they contacted me and told me they'd like to put one out, and my ego wouldn't let me say no :)

Seriously, though, they're a good outfit to work with. If you have any questions about what it's like to work with them, please email me.

apexjason

Editor, Writer, Hillbilly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apexbookcompany.com
So I forgot my old AC id, so it looks like I'm new, but that's quite not the case. :) Guess I'm new again.

Anyhow, thanks for all the statements of support and approval. It's nice to know somebody thinks we're doing something right.

Look at Jen Pelland playing coy. She likes to tell people I approached her on my knees, tears in eyes, begging to publish her collection. I won't say if what she says is true or not. I'll just say publishing Jen's book has been one great decision on my part.

As to M.R.J.'s question...right, thank you for pointing out that Ingram and B&T are wholesalers. I modified the incorrect statement in my blog post.

How do we get into independent bookstores? 80% of it is me and one of my editor minions reach out to the stores via a call or email. 20% of it is the stores contacting us about carrying our books.

How do we get into libraries? They order our books mostly through Brodart. We've had a number of our titles reviewed in the trade journals (specifically Publisher's Weekly and Booklist) so I would surmise that generates many of those sales.

I'm happy to answer any further questions anyone might have about Apex Books.

Ingram and B&T are wholesale, not distributors. They don't sell books to bookstores and libraries, they just fulfill orders coming in. So I'd be curious as to how exactly they get into independant stores. Also, I'm curious about how well they do with their no returns, given that I've heard a lot of bookstores tend not to deal with books that are not returnable. More questions are warranted I think.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I'd be curious to hear an expanded discussion on your no-returns policy.

Deleted member 42

How do we get into independent bookstores? 80% of it is me and one of my editor minions reach out to the stores via a call or email. 20% of it is the stores contacting us about carrying our books.

How do we get into libraries? They order our books mostly through Brodart. We've had a number of our titles reviewed in the trade journals (specifically Publisher's Weekly and Booklist) so I would surmise that generates many of those sales..

Just wanted to point out that Apex has been at just about ever SF related convention I've gone to in the last two years, with a booth, selling books to fans and to book sellers, who also go to the cons.

Given the nature of SF/Horror/Fantasy readership, this is important.

An awful lot of books are sold to individuals and libraries by niche booksellers for for the SF/Spec fic and Mystery genres. Apex is very visible. And you will find their books at your local store, and your libraries.

Last edited by a moderator:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. (And not just because they published one of my stories!)

Sadly, they've recently announced the magazine is is going on hiatus.

Happens to a lot of good mags

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI that Apex is up and going again.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Just a note to add that my eBook is with Apex, and they do this nifty thing with a shared google doc, wherein I can track my sales in real time.

I've never heard of any company doing that before, and I wish more did. It increases transparency dramatically.

My experience has been very good, so far, with the eBook of LAST DRAGON.

And, my story in Apex Online was paid for promptly and according to the terms of the contract.

Two thumbs up from me.

annetookeen

has a hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
the-sword-that-speaks.blogspot.com
Just a note to add that my eBook is with Apex, and they do this nifty thing with a shared google doc, wherein I can track my sales in real time.

I've never heard of any company doing that before, and I wish more did. It increases transparency dramatically.

Two thumbs up from me.

That's so cooooool!

apexjason

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apexbookcompany.com
Distribution

I wanted to add that we've now signed on with a small distributor and, as such, now have a more traditional publishing model.

Actually, it's sort of an cross-breed of POD and traditional, as some of our titles (the more...eclectic and specialized stuff) will go through POD-only. But major releases, such as DARK FAITH, Dru Pagliassotti's AN AGREEMENT WITH HELL, and Gary Braunbeck's novel we'll be releasing through Pathway and printed via offset.

Thanks for the nice words. This is a tough business and sometimes...you need to see that type of stuff.

Jason

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
I see on their site that Apex is currently closed to submissions. Does anybody know what's going on there, or when they might be opening up again?

apexjason

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.apexbookcompany.com
I see on their site that Apex is currently closed to submissions. Does anybody know what's going on there, or when they might be opening up again?

Hi Kyra,

The magazine remains open. The book side of the business is closed to submissions (and have been for awhile). We've been clearing the slate of inventory bought during our last open session for awhile. Maybe this year sometime we'll reopen? Hope so.

KyraDune

Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kyradune.weebly.com
Hi Kyra,

The magazine remains open. The book side of the business is closed to submissions (and have been for awhile). We've been clearing the slate of inventory bought during our last open session for awhile. Maybe this year sometime we'll reopen? Hope so.

Ok, thanks.

Nattering Nabob

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new about Apex Book. They seem to be struggling in this dog-eat-dog business.

I like their stuff so I hope their making it

Natt