• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fiction Factor (Lee Masterson)

Code_Name_Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Lee Masterson or his book, Write, Create, and Promote a Best Seller? He has some articles on his website that seem to be knowledgable, but the book promotion sounds like a typical "snake oil salesman". The website is http://www.fictionfactor.com/ if anyone wants to check it. The book is not very expensive, but I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks,

Joan

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Attempting to find Lee Masterson's books for sale on Amazon shows that she does not appear to have actually written any bestellers. In fact, her book looks as though it may be self-published and nothing written by her appears on Amazon at all. Some later searches indicate that she may have some magazine writing credits.

They also advertise a book by Rob Parnell on how to write novels. A search for books by Rob Parnell turns up lots of articles by him where he claims to have written many novels - but it turns up absolutely no indication that he has any actual novels that he has written and published.

It would appear that neither of these people have any successful novels out. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:

DeePower

While we haven't written a bestseller ...yet

We did interview 24 bestselling authors and over 30 editors, agents, booksellers and experts for The Making of a Bestseller: Success Stories From Authors and the Editors, Agents, and Booksellers Behind Them.

Dee

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
That is true, interviewing bestselling novelists can be as useful a qualification as actually being one when it comes to working on a book on writing bestsellers. And the fact that your book was picked up by a fairly well known commercial publisher and attracted favorable reviews of its own shows that you know how to write.

In this case, however, we have a book that was written about writing bestsellers that was self-published, instead of attracting the attention of a commercial publisher. And someone who is touting a system that enables anyone to write novels, devised by someone who apparently is not using this system at all - or is, but can't use the system to write a publishable novel. I'm not sure which is worse.

That does not in and of itself say this book is bad, but it really makes me wonder.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
After a long hiatus, revamped and relaunched in Nov '13.