• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Off the Wall Plays

ejr

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if any playwrights have heard of, or had experience with Off the Wall Plays:

www.offthewallplays.com

They want to publish plays online -- which sounds a bit insecure to me --and give the author 50% of the royalties. How are they going to stop people all over the world from producing the work without paying for the rights?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not mainly a playwright, but I would never go for this. Unlike screenplays, playwrights and their publishers are ardent about keeping the scripts offline, so they can continue to sell copies and performance rights.

If I had a play languishing that I was ready to just give away, hoping others might perform it without compensating me in any way, maybe then--but who'd want to produce a play like that?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

ejr

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. It didn't smell right to me. I've been an actor for close to 30 years. I've been writing all my life, but only recently decided to pursue it as a sideline. Very frustrating. Like starting from square one again.

Claire Demmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offthewallplays.com
Hi there,

Claire Demmer - playwright and editor - Off The Wall Plays. Although the site has been an idea since 2010, we just launched it properly in July 2011 and it is really brand new, so at the moment any feedback we get can only help.

We are an online play publishing house meaning we don't have a physical printing side - all the plays are E-Plays but we don't publish the plays online or show the full play on site - they are kept on a remote server, as otherwise people would download them without paying for them and this would be counterproductive to running a business.

In creating the business, we followed the format followed by Maverick Musicals, Australia. Basically what we do is we give people access to less than 50% of a script - and then if they like what they read, they pay for the whole thing and we e mail it to them. That way people don't pay for a nice sounding idea, and a terrible script.

The amount people pay for plays gets them the script and license to perform the play twice.
Scriptwriters are required to sign a contract with us that protects both parties. 50% of the royalties is what was advised by our lawyer as the standard rate authors receive from publishing houses. Gone are the days when authors would get 10-20% of the sale of their work!

I am glad you brought this to my attention, because it means that other people might be similarly confused. The website is undergoing an upgrade, and we will alter the language used on the site so that people are more clear as to what we do.

Hope that clears things up a bit and any other feedback would be more than welcome.

Claire Demmer
www.offthewallplays.com

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Claire, thank you so much for clarifying (oh, duh, I wasn't trying to make a pun) that the impression we got from the website is not indeed the case, and that you're updating the website to eliminate confusion like ours.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

DBohr

Registered
Reaction score
Off the Wall Plays has accepted one of my plays for publication, and because of so many online scams of one nature or another, I am trying to see if anyone has had any dealings with them. I saw this post, and I wonder if the original writer found out any more about Off the Wall?