• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Hi,

I just received a letter from the Andrea Brown Agency requesting the first three chapters. Does anyone know anything about them? It doesn't appear as though they are an AAR member. The address I used was in Salinas, CA and was obtained through a book at the bookstore. The address the Andrea Brown agency gives on their website is in Palo Alto, CA. The woman requested submission by email. I can't find her on the Writers' Yearbook site. I also did a search on the agency here and couldn't find anything, which surprised me.

Sooo... in conclusion :tongue ... does anyone have any information??? Thanks so much for any help! I don't want to get my hopes up if they aren't legit.

Edit: I just found them on the 'another realm' site and they have a $ and 'recommended' by their name. It's not that I doubt that site. But, any ideas as to why I can't find them elsewhere?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Why are you sending a query to an agency you know nothing about?

scully931

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
waylander said:
Why are you sending a query to an agency you know nothing about?

It was sent months ago. When I went into this, I didn't know much about it. So, I got the Writer's Digest and looked there. I now know much more about researching the agencies, etc. and no longer send queries to agencies without learning about them first. However, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity just because I didn't do it right the first time. Thanks for asking though! :)

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
They are HUGE in children's lit. Congrats on getting a request from them. Good luck!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea Brown is one of the big dogs in YA and children's lit. That is an excellent request.

scully931

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
Oh, good! I really appreciate the comments. Odds are it won't go anywhere, but at least now I know its a good thing. Thanks so much! Anyone else paranoid that if someone wants their stuff, the agency must not be legit?

Last edited:

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Which agent is it? Michelle Andelman requested a partial from me. In the end, she passed, but she provided a few paragraps of helpful constructive criticism. She said that if I made some changes, she'd look at it again.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
Which agent is it? Michelle Andelman requested a partial from me. In the end, she passed, but she provided a few paragraps of helpful constructive criticism. She said that if I made some changes, she'd look at it again.

I hope you are thinking very seriously about making those changes. Agents do not usually bother saying that they'll look at stuff again unless they think that your writing has real promise.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering it. I still have many agents I'm waiting for replies from, but if I don't get any offers of representation, I plan on making those changes and sending it to her again. If I go with her changes, it would be a major rewrite, including changing the POV for the whole novel, which would take me a while.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
I'm considering it. I still have many agents I'm waiting for replies from, but if I don't get any offers of representation, I plan on making those changes and sending it to her again. If I go with her changes, it would be a major rewrite, including changing the POV for the whole novel, which would take me a while.

There's no harming in starting the changes right now. keep a copy of the novel as is, but start another copy with the changes. It gives you something to do instead of waiting, and you'll be ready to give it to her.

This is one of the big dogs, and whne they bark is always good to listen, even if you also keep pursuing other dogs at the same time.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I've taken your advice. You've persuaded me. I actually quite like the changes too!

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Andrea Brown is a solid agency; a couple of years ago they were listed by Writer's Digest (or Poets & Writers, I forget which) as one of the top 25 agencies for unpublished writers. Laura Rennert (no relation to Amy Rennert of the Amy Rennert Agency, by the way) is a solid agent and super-smart besides.

Good luck.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
What are your experiences with how long it takes to hear back from them? I gave one of their agents a requested 3 chapters a month ago, and haven't gotten a reply. Is this normal?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I can't help with that, Maddy, but do know you can find them at agentquery.com
It also gives some helpful links about the agency on there as well.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Maddy, originally Michelle took around two days to reject my partial. She's had the rewrite since August 11th and I still have no response. That's probably not that helpful at all.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... two days. That's really fast, and obviously she liked it since she suggested the rewrites, etc. Gahh, this is making me sad. :( Was your partial also three chapters? And around how many pages is that?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
FYI

MIchelle Andelsman is in the process of moving to New York, where she'll be the East Coast rep for Andrea Brown. This may account for some of the slow responses.

She hopes to be in touch after 9/5/06.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she told me that, but thanks for bringing it up anyway. :) It's not so much that I'm impatient for an answer, but that I figure it's probably a "no" since I haven't heard from her yet. :( Toni, do you have stuff out with her as well?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know that before. It's realy great to know that. Thanks.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI--this is tradionally the slowest time of the year for agent responses. They take vacations and such in the summer too. Editors are the same way right now. Many in the publishing industry are playing catch up and gearing up for the fall. I wouldn't worry overly about three months. At least it isn't a rejection. They've had my query for three weeks now. Good luck :)

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
>>Anyone else paranoid that if someone wants their stuff, the agency must not be legit?

Yeah, LMAO. I'm so used to rejects that if someone asks to see something I have to do extra checks on them.

rodolfo

Andrea Brown Agency

After a fast response to three chapters, she's had my full for nearly two months. It's good to hear everybody else is in about the same place. I do know she recently rejected a full that she received after mine.