• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Books To Go Now

V. Greene

Ditching the pseudonym
Registered
Reaction score
http://bookstogonow.com/

I just had them come up on Duotrope and was considering sending them a novella of mine which has gone out of print. Aside from their two different length requests, anyone see anything peculiar, scary, or just vaguely redolent of seaweed?

(And did I seriously find them first?)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, their "about us" page doesn't tell you anything about them, and their submissions page gives me the creeps. I don't think typing a bunch of words makes one automatically deserving of respect; I don't think one can learn the craft within hours; I don't want a publisher boo-hoo-ing over my rejection letters; and I sure as heck don't want to be part of a publisher's "family". I want a publisher whose mission is to publish great stories and sell heaps and heaps of them to the public.

Our mission is to make sure that as a writer, you get the respect you deserve as a published author. The writing business is tough sometimes. Rejection, rejection, rejection.

Here at Books to Go Now, we understand your passion for writing. We wouldn’t be here with out you, the writers.

We want you to join us in this growing market that is changing daily. As we said earlier, it’s all about respect. As you put in hours honing your craft, we are spending hours promoting your work.

If you’re successful, we’re successful!

We would like you to be part of our publishing family.

Also, they can't seem to make up their mind what length of stories they want and how they're going to publish them. These two are not compatible:

At this time Books to Go Now is only considering books between 2,500- 10,000 words for print.

As for now Books to Go Now is ONLY looking for

* Short Stories: 8,000 to 20,000
In the future we may look at longer works, but for now we are focusing on our short story ePub market and apps eBook downloads.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Click on BTGN's covers for a brief description of the contents. If the poor grammar, spelling mistakes and punctuation abuse represent the quality of the company's editing, I'd give this one a miss.

Here's an interview with Carolyn Schuster, BTGN's managing editor:

http://www.duotrope.com/interview.aspx?id=5043

As Carolyn Spencer she's the author of two BTGN e-books.

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I noticed about their website that turned me off was the poor quality of the writing as far as grammar, punctuation, etc. went. Not a good sign to my way of thinking.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I ran away screaming from those hideous covers.

I'm probably not the only one.

Give 'em a pass. There are better places for your words.

Never start at the bottom when shopping your book.

Start at the TOP with the biggest house on the block and work your way down.

By the time you reach this barrel-scrape of a publisher you'll have three new books finished and ready to shop.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I didn't see it before, but the language use on the site is poor now and some of the covers are, IMHO, terrible. So it is probably about the same now as it was then. Some of the blurbs are borderline incomprehensible.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
*click*

God, the covers are hideous.

*click*

I'm alarmed by the language on the submissions page:

Our mission is to make sure that as a writer, you get the respect you deserve as a published author. The writing business is tough sometimes. Rejection, rejection, rejection.

A publishing company whose mission statement is validation of the author? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No thanks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Their covers are still terrible, and there are still problems with the writing on the site. I'd give this one a miss.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Covers are still terrible. If you're seriously considering this publisher, I suggest you head over to Amazon and look at the sales rank for any of their books. Pretty sad.