Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
giphy%201.gif

Hi everyone, and welcome to the June goals thread! We had a great group last month, with a bunch of new participants, so I hope to see all of you here throughout the month of June.

I'll get us started, as usual. I just fired off my final draft of Book #4 in my fantasy series to my beta readers. They're usually pretty prompt at getting back to me, so I'm hoping to get Goal #1 crossed off my list by mid-month. Meanwhile, I'm going to get cracking on Book #5. I've already started reading the first book for Goal #3 (E.L. Doctorow's The Waterworks), and a side goal is to finish the last three books in Pratchett's Discworld series (I've enjoyed it so much, I hate to see it end).

1. Incorporate beta feedback for Book #4 as needed
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been
3. Read five books
4. Finish reading "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series
5. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5
6. Decide whether to participate in July Camp NaNo
7. Start planning my social media push for the release of Book #1 in August

What are YOUR plans for June?

Last edited:

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting a new thread! :)

My goals for the month:

1) Finish the first draft of the novel #4 (approx. ~26,000 words to go).
2) Do 3-4 Beta reads for the Beta Project.
3) Finish 5 books, including the 3 I had in progress when I started the MayNoWriMo craziness (there were 4, but I finished one last night).
4) Make a few edits to novel #3 and send it out on another round of queries.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
*sneaks in a side door*

Um... Hi. I think I've been here before, although probably a long while ago. So, I guess whether or not I'm a newcomer depends on if anyone remembers me?

After having a not-too-bad April with Camp NaNo and then a terrible May trying and failing to keep up my April momentum, I've decided I need a place where I have to publicly say yes or no to the "Have you written today?" question. Also my writers' group is really quiet at the moment and I'm getting lonely.

My goal for this month is going to be a simple NaNo-style one: I want to write 15k.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember you, SianaBlackwood. Welcome back! And lianna williamson, it's good to have you with us again!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Ah man, the last three Discworld books... That's Snuff, Raising Steam, and Shepherd's Crown, right, or are you reading out of order? Prep tissues if you are on the last last three. Just sayin. I sobbed like a damn baby when I had to say goodbye. Probably overdue a reread for some of them. Mama needs her occasional trips to the Disc.

My goals for the month:
1) Finish this draft of WIP within the next two weeks
2) Get said draft out to betas
3) Do own Beta Project offers
4) Submit at least two short stories somewhere
5) Begin query and synopsis for WIP
6) Read 3 (non-comic) books

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Maggie Maxwell!

I jumped ahead and finished Snuff last month because I needed a Sam Vimes fix. I've got Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown still to read. I go through the Discworld books like potato chips - gobble them up and reach for more. I know it's going to hurt when I get to the last page of the last one. ::sniffles in anticipation::

ETA: So ummm...yeah, that would be the last four Discworld books. Might not get to them all this month - in fact, I think I want to delay the end as long as possible...

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Welcome back, Maggie Maxwell!

I jumped ahead and finished Snuff last month because I needed a Sam Vimes fix. I've got Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown still to read. I go through the Discworld books like potato chips - gobble them up and reach for more. I know it's going to hurt when I get to the last page of the last one. ::sniffles in anticipation::

Snuff and ISWM are so good. UA is probably my least favorite of the series, but it's not bad. I'm just not much of a sports fan. RS and SC... they feel like goodbyes. Even though he had more stories planned, they feel like closure, which is good. It's what we needed.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to write 2,000 words a day, at least. I am hoping that will help me finish three books (all at various word counts), but if I do 2k a day, it won't be enough to finish the third book. Close, but not quite. I'm going to try to push to get that third book done, but if that doesn't happen I won't be too beat up about it.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the cheering on! I'm going to need it!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Welcome back everyone!

June Goals:
[ ] Clean my office.
[ ] Make some webpage updates.
[ ] Finish short story.
[x] Pick July Camp NaNo Project.
I decided to put this on the list this morning and then picked something just before lunch. So I'm crossing it off right away, just because. :tongue

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle.
[21] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I need more concrete goals this month, ones I can keep track of easier:

1. Write 1,000 words a day
2. Outline my fantasy novel
3. Read 3 books
4. Write 2 Blog Posts

I have high hopes. Let's see how I go...

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I felt like perhaps I should sign in here to, just to try and keep myself on track. My concrete goals this month relate to my WIP novel (duology book #2) which is currently sitting at 35k, and an extra project.

1. Write 15k more in book #2
2. Complete the full outline for my newest plot bunny, a dark fantasy novel

Here goes nothing! :) Good luck to everyone on here and their writing goals!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hello Junebugs!

My goals:

Writing
[ ] Write 10k of new WIP.
[ ] Write 10k of m/m project revision.
[ ] 30k total wordage.

Reading

[ ] Beta-read one book.
[ ] Read three books.

Health
[ ] Weigh-in at 145lbs.
[ ] Hit -55lbs lost.

TV
[ ] Catch-up with Steven Universe
[ ] Catch-up with Sense8
[ ] Watch OITNB.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to have so many people in the thread! Go go go everyone!

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Skipped a month because of all the revising!

June is gonna be kind of my personal write a novel in a month, because I'm on this twitter drafting thing and I actually want to finish, so goals are lofty :D

-Plan, Start, and Finish WIP2 draft at over 40K words

-Revise and edit WIP 1 according to feedback

-Participate in #pitmad:partyguy:

-Query out WIP 1 if Revision 4 is completed

Good luck everyone on their goals! Hopefully this is our monthhhh

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Golly-gee-willickers! June already!? :eek: I'm late, I'm late, I'm late i'm late im latte!

My goals:
[ ] Finish the damnable second section of mah novel already, like, geeze, dude... DUDE!
[ ] Read a book. (I'm so slow about reading it's really not productive, maybe I should go back to audio... :/)
[ ] Write at least 20k total in anything!
[ ] Beta for people with the hot intensity of ten thousand sunsbecause they need it and I need it and it's generally a mutually beneficial thing to do -- helping people improve -- because I learn from teaching others as much as from being taught.
[ ] Be better about replying to people in a timely fashion.... :eek:

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
My goals don't change much from month to month. I'm pretty boring. I've already made a good start though: I spent yesterday editing a chapter.

I need to either write a new story or edit one of my random finished drafts or pick an old story for a submission deadline at the end of the month.

Otherwise I am going to read all the books.

1. Edit four chapters. 1/4
2. Read eight books. 0/8
3. Write/Edit/Choose a short story.
4. Game stuff.
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. Ticky so far.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
End of the first (albeit partial) week of June. I ended up having to go on for Patti LuPone for both performances of WAR PAINT tonight, so naturally no reading/writing was accomplished. However, the month is off to a good start. I got started on the first draft of Book #5 - not a lot, but a start - and I'm about halfway through my first book of the month.

1. Incorporate beta feedback for Book #4 as needed
2. Explore NYC with at least two more jaunts to places I've never been
3. Read five books
4. Finish reading "My Writing Day" essays from The Guardian series
5. Get at least 10k words written on rough draft of Book #5 - currently 1,311
6. Decide whether to participate in July Camp NaNo
7. Start planning my social media push for the release of Book #1 in August

And you?

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
First week-ish check-in!
[ ] Clean my office.
[ ] Make some webpage updates.
Started! I've got the child theme set-up and added the format type support. Now I just need to get the different formats to look the way I want.​
[ ] Finish short story.
Started as well! I've done a bit more thinking, but at this point I'm going to have to sit down and create an outline so I can sort through everything I have written.​
[x] Pick July Camp NaNo Project.

Constant Goals:
[ ] Changing sleep cycle.
[22] Write 1K words a day (for 52 weeks).

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
I'm late to the party, but I have been tracking my goals! Even if I'm only now getting them on here . . . Also, can someone fill me in on what the July Camp thing is a couple people mentioned (bdwilson and mrsmig)?

Real job is still ridiculous, so sticking with relatively easy goals this month again.

1. One blog post per week (4 total)
So far . . . 0
2. Write 17K words on my current WIP (this is a weird number, but many maths went into it)
So far . . . 3,200
3. Finish reading Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
So far . . . I got distracted half-way through.
4. Start reading Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress once I finish #3

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SKStark - NaNoWriMo has two yearly "Camps," one in April and one in July, which have the same basic format as regular NaNo but differ in two ways: 1) you make your own goal instead of being locked into writing 50k words (and the goal can be editing, reading, whatever), and 2) you have the option to be placed in a Cabin with other writers, where you can enjoy their companionship and encouragement during the month.

AW usually has at least two Cabins during Camp, and I expect there'll be a new thread in this subforum soon, announcing sign-ups. If you want to participate, you'll need to go to the Camp Nano website and create your project. Then, when cabins assignments start, you can ask to be included in one of the AW cabins.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Must remember to keep an eye out for the Camp stuff. I signed up last-minute in April and went solo, which was very quiet.

Writing progress so far this month: 1260 words. I've also written about 1700 words of planning/general commentary on what I've done and I think I've realised that what I've been doing is sort of a compromise between a few different ideas resulting in a sort of 'lowest common denominator' effect where the story has only the most boring bits of the original ideas. I guess I need to do a bit (okay, a lot) more planning, and I'm looking at the possibility of just pulling out the fragments I'm happy with and rebuilding from there.

PS - 666th post!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.