Book Recommendation

IkhlasHussain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I hope this is the correct place to post this...

My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book but have no idea what! I know how gruelling med school can be, and so I want to give her something uplifting, maybe funny, and inspirational.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so that's why I'm kind of stuck. She likes Malcolm Gladwell's stuff, but she's already got them all!

I know I can just check Amazon, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you have.

Thanks so much! :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Comic strip books. Calvin and Hobbes. Pearls Before Swine. Get Fuzzy. The Far Side. Bloom County (it would help if she remembers the 80s, though, since Bloom County could be topical at times)

During grad school I needed a light, mindless escape. It was as necessary as coffee and ramen noodles.

JHUK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingalchemy.wordpress.com
My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book ....

Not so sure it would fall into the "inspirational" category, but I think she might find "Cutting for Stone" (by Abraham Verghese) fascinating. It involves a lot of medical info for characters in a third-world country. One of them eventually comes to the US for medical school. It's one of the best books EVER in my opinion, but the members of my reading group agreed with me so I can recommend it without hesitation.

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
"The Medicus" by Noah Gordon. It deals with medcine in Europe, but also in Baghdad in times of Ibn Sina. It has two sequels, but the first part makes really fascinating reading - although maybe not for someone who hates histo.

pattycat

Registered
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for Cutting for Stone. It's not inspirational non-fiction, but it is an amazing read that a medical student would really enjoy. One of my all-time faves.