PDA

View Full Version : "America's not ready for a black/woman president"...

Bravo
03-23-2008, 05:31 AM
"so my vote would be wasted"

this is what i hear from so many people, how do you respond to someone who says that?

i need some good ways to counter it.

thank you

William Haskins
03-23-2008, 05:34 AM
i'd probably just opt for "you're a fucking idiot".

but then i'm not the most tactful person.

Bravo
03-23-2008, 05:36 AM
yea this is for friends and family.

lol.

mscelina
03-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Usually when I find myself in that situation Bravo, I mention something ot the effect of "And America never will be as long as people think they are 'wasting their votes.'"

SC Harrison
03-23-2008, 05:43 AM

"Yeah, you don't want to throw that vote away; you might need it sometime later."

Rolling Thunder
03-23-2008, 05:44 AM
The only wasted vote is the one never cast.

Snowstorm
03-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Opinionated garbage is best answered with facts. According to a poll I saw (I think it was yesterday--okay, my memory stinks) on CNN Internet, Either Dem candidate would beat McCain and another headline was they were tied. If America wasn't ready for Obama or Clinton to be president, then how could this be? True, we have to take polls with a huge grain of salt, but it's one indicator.

Plus, I confess I don't understand "America's not ready for black/female president" philosophy. One WILL win the Dem candidacy. Since Dems are a part of America, the speaker is very close to being proved wrong.

Another thing I like to do to opinionated statements like that is to ask questions: where do they get that fact? WHY do they think America's not ready?

Come January, my bet is we'll have a black president.

William Haskins
03-23-2008, 05:45 AM
yea this is for friends and family.

lol.

oh.

just drop the expletive then.

Joe270
03-23-2008, 06:06 AM
"America's not ready for a black/woman president"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is what i hear from so many people, how do you respond to someone who says that?

Perhaps coaxing them into realizing their own error will help.

Can women/blacks drive cars? Can they fly airplanes? Can they be astronauts? Can women/blacks run corporations?

What, in particular, about running the country are women/blacks incapable of doing?

Hopefully that will cause them enough reflection that they'll see their own issues.

That said, as I have said often, I don't consider Hillary worthy of my vote. I might go with Obama, but I'm still on the fence.

How 'bout Condi Rice for president? She's a woman and black, plus she seems smarter than the whole pack running right now.

Vote Rice!

Bird of Prey
03-23-2008, 06:08 AM
I would just tell them to vote for a white man no matter what. For some reason I can't explain, it seems to shut everybody up.

Oh. And I never stay for dinner.

Williebee
03-23-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm with Mr. Haskins on this one, friends, family, whatever. But I'm not much on tact, either.

If you have the right to vote, you have the responsibility to do so.

rhymegirl
03-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Well, you could say, if America isn't ready for a black man president or a white woman president, how about a black woman president?

rugcat
03-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Well, you could say, if America isn't ready for a black man president or a white woman president, how about a black woman president?Oprah!

She could give us all cars.

Siddow
03-23-2008, 06:45 AM
A stunned expression followed by the words, "You VOTE?" should do it. Shame them into the polls, where they'll hopefully vote Republican. :D

John Paton
03-23-2008, 07:22 AM
well I think the rot set in when blacks and wimmin were given the vote in the first place ! ;)

eldragon
03-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Look at this mess. We're definitely ready for a woman president!

Mumut
03-23-2008, 07:34 AM
If that's their attitude, I consider their vote wasted anyway.

William Haskins
03-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Oprah!

She could give us all cars.

and, like her audience members who received them, we could all be drowning in tax bills.

brokenfingers
03-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Just say: "America's not ready? Or is it that you're not ready?" Then shake your head and walk away.

robeiae
03-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Eh.

They're gonna vote the way they're gonna vote. I'd just laugh and shake my head...maybe mutter "moron" under my breath (no offense, BF).

Kunery
03-23-2008, 07:56 AM
You might try to explain that their vote is "wasted" (in the sense of "pointless, useless, and a complete waste of time") in any event. So they shouldn't worry overmuch about the issue.

Instead, they might well worry about the implications of living in a society where untold millions of people truly imagine they have some effect on public policy by voting. That's scary!

Sending letters to the Easter Bunny; or flagellating, fasting, and praying; or thinking warm and positive thoughts about human brotherhood -- yeah, sure: what harm could it do? But voting??? Wow. . .

HeronW
03-23-2008, 08:02 AM
"so the same old white boy clone can do better?"

blacbird
03-23-2008, 08:22 AM

thank you

Republican America isn't ready for it. One more reason not to elect Republicans.

caw

Bravo
03-23-2008, 08:25 AM
yes most of these people would be republicans but they are disgusted with bush and the war in iraq.

Joe270
03-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Republican America isn't ready for it.

The GOP right might not be ready, but I had a party Thursday night and one guy, a card carrying repub, was talking positively about Obama. He was unsure of McCain, and he said McCain was bound to commit a major gaffe soon to ruin his shot.

Obama represents a change in the democrat party from the Clinton mold. He might carry some middle-road gop votes. Then again, McCain represents a change to the middle for the gop, too.

NikeeGoddess
03-23-2008, 11:06 AM
"so my vote would be wasted"well, what state do you live in? and who received the most votes in the primaries? did either hillary or obama get more popular votes than mccain?

but they may be right -- this country is not ready. if this country was ready then we wouldn't have the crazy sexist and racist rhetoric flaring up in the news every other day. maybe this country is not ready but we trying to make it so. have both a black man and a woman driving the race forward at the same time is completely overwhelming for some of the old school republicans. but hey, we're taking the bull by the horns and it's a hell of a ride!!!

efreysson
03-24-2008, 05:48 AM
What I don't understand about this statement is: What the heck does READY mean? Is someone seriously worried about mass panics if Barack or Hillary make it to the Oval Office? A civil war? A military coup? I don't get it.

blacbird
03-24-2008, 06:35 AM
What I don't understand about this statement is: What the heck does READY mean?

Nothing, basically. It's the same level of empty rhetorical slogan that the Clinton people are charging Obama with when he says "change".

caw

billythrilly7th
03-24-2008, 06:38 AM
What I don't understand about this statement is: What the heck does READY mean? Is someone seriously worried about mass panics if Barack or Hillary make it to the Oval Office? A civil war? A military coup? I don't get it.

I think it means..

"Do you have a bullhorn and can you stand on a pile of rubble and make us feel good?"

I mean, we can get you the bullhorn if you don't have one, but that inner power to raise spirits is something that can't really be taught. It must come naturally.

And I think Obama is right person for that job.

xhouseboy
03-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Is someone seriously worried about mass panics if Barack or Hillary make it to the Oval Office? A civil war? A military coup? I don't get it.

I don't know about that.

But in the UK we spent years sweating over the possibility that if anything happened to Tony - Johnny Boy then stepped up to the plate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQDnGTcc4A

And a common misconception here is that he jabbed this guy because of the egg-throwing incident. Not so. It was actually the mullet hair cut that enraged him.

StoryG27
03-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Have you ever just thought to ask them why they think that? What is their reasoning behind it. I bet you'll get a lot of blank stares and long "uhhhhh"s back. Just ask them why they think what they think. And if they still talk like morons after that, oh well, shrug laugh and go on with life.

nighttimer
03-24-2008, 04:12 PM

thank you

"So when do you think America will be ready?"

Ten years? Maybe in twenty years? After we've had a woman or Black vice-president?

Hollywood's had Black and women presidents for years. When is real life gonna catch up?

:Shrug:

Jcomp
03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Ask them to elaborate.

NikeeGoddess
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Ten years? Maybe in twenty years? After we've had a woman or Black vice-president?when all the races interbreed to the point that we all look the same.

rugcat
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Ten years? Maybe in twenty years? After we've had a woman or Black vice-president?I think the question is partly a way of asking, "Will America ever vote for and elect a woman or a black, of whatever political persuasion?"

Ten years ago I would have said no way. Now, I'd say the chances are good. I've been wrong before, though.

maestrowork
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
How about "racists and sexists will never be ready, but are you?"

No, I'm not tactful either.

Voyager
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
when all the races interbreed to the point that we all look the same.

It's happening already in California. Soon, the entire state is going to be a stunning shade of mocha.

Next time someone tells you, America's not ready for a black/woman president, just stare them straight in the eye with a sort of, wtf, Scooby Doo, look and say, whereas America always has plenty of room in her heart for another idiot.

KikiteNeko
03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
"Oh golly gee, not them blacks and women folk running for PRESIDENT. Next they'll be talking about learning to drive!"

donroc
03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I want Condi, the one and only "two for the price of one."