PDA

View Full Version : Richardson endorses Obama

blacbird
03-21-2008, 11:12 PM
The Dem leaders are beginning to settle the hash.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23740104

caw

blacbird
03-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Dawno: Merge thread with the earlier one by Whistlelock if you wish. Or just kill it. I didn't catch it because of the cryptic title.

caw

Voyager
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Orale! You want to hear something really sad? I had no idea he was the only hispanic governor in the nation. I'm so ashamed. Where the hell is Hispania, anyway?

rugcat
03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
The Dem leaders are beginning to settle the hash.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23740104There were a lot of pundits a while back saying Hillary was finished, asking if she should perhaps just concede. Then, recently, a lot of talk of Obama being in real trouble, Hil on the resurgence. Now, a boost for Obama. Don't count either one of them out just yet.

chartreuse
03-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Orale! You want to hear something really sad? I had no idea he was the only hispanic governor in the nation. I'm so ashamed. Where the hell is Hispania, anyway?

Just out of curiousity, what is your objection to the term Hispanic?

whistlelock
03-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I know, I'm awsome at the cyrptography.

Voyager
03-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Just out of curiousity, what is your objection to the term Hispanic?

I don't have one.

InfinityGoddess
03-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Apparently, Mark Penn is saying that this is no big deal. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/21/clinton-aide-richard-end_n_92781.html)

Like hell it isn't. The Clinton campaign was also trying to woo him.

blacbird
03-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Richardson, I assume, is also a SuperDuper. One more mark on the Obama side of the scoreboard.

As an aside, I'll venture this: In general, hesitations about endorsing/supporting Obama are based mainly on what is not known about him. Hesitations about endorsing/supporting Clinton are based mainly on what is known about her.

caw

TerzaRima
03-22-2008, 01:54 AM
This is good news. I like Richardson, and I caucused for him here. I'd be all over an Obama-Richardson ticket.

Shady Lane
03-22-2008, 02:59 AM
This is good news. I like Richardson, and I caucused for him here. I'd be all over an Obama-Richardson ticket.

Wow. I hadn't even considered that. Yeah, I'd be on that like white on rice.

...or am I not allowed to say that anymore?

Autodidact
03-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Here's my dream ticket: Obama, and the oldest, whitest Dixiecrat still in the party.

whistlelock
03-22-2008, 03:39 AM
bob dole?

William Haskins
03-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Wow. I hadn't even considered that. Yeah, I'd be on that like white on rice.

...or am I not allowed to say that anymore?

you're allowed. just insert "typical" before "white" and you're fine.

Shady Lane
03-22-2008, 03:47 AM
Can I be "typically on that" instead? I like adverbs.

William Haskins
03-22-2008, 03:48 AM
Here's my dream ticket: Obama, and the oldest, whitest Dixiecrat still in the party.

robert byrd.

he's so white, you can hold him up in front of a light bulb and count his polyps.

Voyager
03-22-2008, 03:49 AM
robert byrd.

he's so white, you can hold him up in front of a light bulb and count his polyps.

Finally, an activity the entire family can enjoy.

billythrilly7th
03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
It sucks to be a stand up guy in a Clinton World.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/23/richardson/index.html

Facing fire from some fellow Democrats for his decision to endorse Sen. Barack Obama, Gov. Bill Richardson said Sunday he still considers himself loyal to the family that helped make his political career.
Gov. Bill Richardson endorsed Sen. Barack Obama, but says he is very loyal to the Clintons.

http://i.l.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/2.0/mosaic/base_skins/baseplate/corner_wire_BL.gif

"I am very loyal to the Clintons. I served under President Clinton. But I served well. And I served the country well. And he gave me that opportunity," Richardson told "Fox News Sunday."

Richardson, who abandoned his presidential bid January 10, endorsed Obama (http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/candidates/barack.obama.html) on Friday as the Democratic nominee. He called Sen. Hillary Clinton Thursday to tell her of his decision, Clinton's campaign said.

Richardson was asked Sunday about James Carville's comment that Richardson's Obama endorsement "came right around the anniversary of the day when Judas sold out for 30 pieces of silver." Carville is an adviser to Clinton's presidential campaign and a CNN political analyst.

"Well, I'm not going to get in the gutter like that," Richardson said. "And you know, that's typical of many of the people around Sen. Clinton. They think they have a sense of entitlement to the presidency."

I hear ya, Gov. They suck.

Robert Toy
03-23-2008, 11:39 PM
You have to give Richardson some credit for going fuzz face faster than Gore did.

William Haskins
03-23-2008, 11:56 PM
obama should definitely be grooming richardson for a VP slot.

he is going to desperately need the latino vote.

Voyager
03-23-2008, 11:59 PM

Desperate...yeah, I like that word. Hehe, just one more step in our bid to take over the world.

Robert Toy
03-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Link first:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/23/richardson/index.html

Until he wasn't offered the VP slot.

Voyager
03-24-2008, 12:06 AM
"But you know ... it shouldn't just be Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton," he said.

Right, it can't be all paper, rock, paper, rock. Someone has to be the scissors. Now there's some stunning logic for you. WTF!?

dolores haze
03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I wonder if Richardson has already been offered the VP spot. I can't imagine he would break with the Clintons for any other reason. Or maybe I'm just cynical.

Robert Toy
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I wonder if Richardson has already been offered the VP spot. I can't imagine he would break with the Clintons for any other reason. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
I'm as cynical as you. Clinton's say no, Obama says yes/maybe.

billythrilly7th
03-24-2008, 12:50 AM
No one wants to be on the wrong side of history.

"Grandpa, did you support King Obama, greatest President in American History?"

"Nope. I supported Hillary."

"Ooooh."

"I know."

But if you support Obama, and Hillary wins, it's no big deal. No one would fault you for it, especially after 4-8 more years of the Clinton Shenanigans.

Voyager
03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
That leaves such a bad taste in my mouth (shut up). Just...sleazy, ick.

dolores haze
03-24-2008, 03:43 AM
That leaves such a bad taste in my mouth (shut up). Just...sleazy, ick.

It doesn't really bother me. Whether he's motivated by his conscience or his ambition - it's just the nature of the political beast.

I am confused about one thing, however. Didn't Clinton win New Mexico? And isn't the Obama campaign recommending that the super delegates follow the will of the people, and endorse the candidate that they voted for?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm kind of confused about this whole super delegate thing.

clintl
03-24-2008, 03:45 AM
I still think Biden would be a better VP choice for Obama. But Richardson is probably the next best possible choice.

blacbird
03-24-2008, 03:46 AM
I am confused about one thing, however. Didn't Clinton win New Mexico? And isn't the Obama campaign recommending that the super delegates follow the will of the people, and endorse the candidate that they voted for?

Clinton did "win" New Mexico, but it was historically close, in fact not decided until a week or two after the vote, and then only by some hundreds of votes, as I recall. Meaning that, in a proportional Democratic vote, Clinton and Obama essentially split the New Mexico pledged delegates.

caw

William Haskins
03-24-2008, 03:57 AM
n.m. was close (1 point) and the vote was within 2000 people. clinton received 14 delegates and obama 12.

a more interesting case study is massachusetts, where clinton won by 15 points, and received 17 more delegates (55-38), and a state where both senators are vocal obama partisans.

dolores haze
03-24-2008, 04:02 AM
Clinton did "win" New Mexico, but it was historically close, in fact not decided until a week or two after the vote, and then only by some hundreds of votes, as I recall. Meaning that, in a proportional Democratic vote, Clinton and Obama essentially split the New Mexico pledged delegates.

caw

OK. So because it was such a close vote the Obama campaign can, in good conscience, embrace Richardson'e endorsement. But what about other states - such as Massachusetts - where Clinton won by a larger percentage?

And thanks for explaining stuff, blacbird.

ETA: Thanks also, William.