PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Basis?

ExposingCorruption
03-13-2008, 06:37 AM
An agent asked for my book proposal after I sent him my query. He also stated, "I prefer to read material on an exclusive basis, and return the courtesy by agreeing to consider your work in a timely manner."

There are agents who are already reading my proposal. The submission guidelines required a proposal when querying. And one well-known agent that I queried simply asked for the manuscript without asking for a proposal.

Was this agent who asked for the "exclusive" talking about reading the proposal on an exclusive basis? And if he was, what should I tell him regarding the other agents who are reading the proposal and the agent who is reading the manuscript?

DeadlyAccurate
03-13-2008, 06:55 AM
"Other agents are currently reading the proposal and another is reading the manuscript, so I'm unable to grant an exclusive at this time. I'll be happy to send the material on to you anyway, and should I receive an offer, I'll contact you before making any decision."

IceCreamEmpress
03-13-2008, 07:05 AM
What DeadlyAccurate said. Obviously you can't give one agent an exclusive if other agents are already reading the MS or proposal, so your choice is clear.

Glad to hear you're getting so much interest!

Julie Worth
03-13-2008, 08:03 AM
An agent asked for my book proposal after I sent him my query. He also stated, "I prefer to read material on an exclusive basis, and return the courtesy by agreeing to consider your work in a timely manner."

There are agents who are already reading my proposal. The submission guidelines required a proposal when querying. And one well-known agent that I queried simply asked for the manuscript without asking for a proposal.

Was this agent who asked for the "exclusive" talking about reading the proposal on an exclusive basis? And if he was, what should I tell him regarding the other agents who are reading the proposal and the agent who is reading the manuscript?

The language sounds like William Clark. Notice that he uses the word "prefer." Not "demand."

ExposingCorruption
03-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Thank you all for your input. The input from this forum is great!

cambeaux
03-15-2008, 04:41 AM
He wrote the same thing to me when I was querying...........

Dr. Musgrave
03-16-2008, 01:54 AM
WC only wants email queries but then wants the book proposal in hard copy. Anyone know why?

Prevostprincess
03-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey Dr. M:

I assume it's because it's easy to read a quick equery. But, with a 50ish or so page proposal, some might want to print out to read. Since they request considerably more than they end up taking on, they'd rather you eat the ink and paper costs.

Also, DeadlyAccurate is just that. When I was querying, I had several agents ask for exclusivity. I always responded in the way DA suggests (although frankly, not as eloquently) and I never, ever had an agent say, "Well, forget it, then."

finewritingfinewine
03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
What if an agent asks on her submission guidelines to be informed if you are submitting simultaneously?

I had no intentions of being dishonest, but just forget so hard was I trying to get the query right. She ended up asking for a partial, and then a full. However, a couple of other agents have the full as well. This was a few weeks back now.

Should I write and let her know or at this point just deal with it if it becomes an issue?

thanks!

triceretops
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
WC only wants email queries but then wants the book proposal in hard copy. Anyone know why?

I don't know. But my agent works like this too. Email queries, but partial and full hard copies.

Tri

finewritingfinewine
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
In answer to the above, that's been my experience as well. At least 3 or 4 agents have requested paper partials in response to an equery. The fulls, interestingly enough, have mostly (all but one) been emailed--for which I'm quite thankful as I'm out of the country and that would get pricey fast.

It's a very different feeling reading on paper as oppose to screen. The heft, the print...makes it feel more finite somehow.

Julie Worth
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM
What if an agent asks on her submission guidelines to be informed if you are submitting simultaneously?

I had no intentions of being dishonest, but just forget so hard was I trying to get the query right. She ended up asking for a partial, and then a full. However, a couple of other agents have the full as well. This was a few weeks back now.

Should I write and let her know or at this point just deal with it if it becomes an issue?

thanks!

Don't sweat it. A good fraction of queries coming in probably don't mention it, some because the authors know better, and some because they got the information from a list that didn't include that guideline. If she asked this when she requested material, that would be different.

finewritingfinewine
03-17-2008, 01:01 AM
thanks, Julie!

It's good to put at least one concern to rest.

ExposingCorruption
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM

I think it's a computer security issue. Email attachments can contain viruses. I've seen lots of agents who specifically state: "DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS. THEY WILL NOT BE OPENED. THEY WILL NOT BE READ."

Newport2Newport
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Don't sweat it. A good fraction of queries coming in probably don't mention it, some because the authors know better, and some because they got the information from a list that didn't include that guideline. If she asked this when she requested material, that would be different.

Wondering...When you send your manuscript to a requesting agent, is it best to mention in the cover letter that others are considering your materials?

Julie Worth
03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Wondering...When you send your manuscript to a requesting agent, is it best to mention in the cover letter that others are considering your materials?

I don't, figuring if they wanted to see it, they'll know that others will as well.

cate townsend
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM

Not unless they ask. If they do, then you should be honest. As to how much info you should divulge, that's up to you.