PDA

View Full Version : Have automakers no shame?

JoeEkaitis
01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Seems you can't pick up a newspaper or tune in the local news without another story about innocent bystanders mowed down by street racing slimeball punk jerk a-holes.

So, what's the latest marketing tool in TV commercials for cars? Yup, street racing.

A Cadillac spot ends with a yuppette cooing that the most important thing you can do with your CTS is "Show up the Boys Club" as she tears away from a green light and leaves behind a Mercedes Benz full of befuddled dudes. Since the street scene is computer generated, there is no "Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt" disclaimer.

Isuzu and Volvo show their cars, with disclaimer, careening merrily through that same "Closed course" that cleverly looks like a typical busy city street.

Yes, it's true automakers aren't responsible for how their products are used, but it's irresponsible to suggest that they be used this way. Screw you and your disclaimers.

reigningcatsndogs
01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Ford's new slogan that came out about two weeks ago was "Drive it like you stole it" -- the tv ads shows a young man totally out of control behind the wheel. The following day there were full page ads in Canadian newspapers demanding they pull it. Withing 24 hours they did, but their new one isn't much better.

nerds
01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Agree with all the above. (Anyone see the article about the BMW wreck in Ocala, Florida over the weekend? Five young guys launched themselves off of John Travolta's neighborhood airstrip down there. Results: not good.)

Anyway. These ads are nuts, and irresponsible as all get-out.

-----------

There was one running recently, I think it was for Chevy Malibu, depicting bank robbers using one as a successful getaway car. So I guess bank robbery is now cool, also.

benbradley
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Here's that BMW story:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/26/five-young-men-killed-when-bmw-flies-off-runway/

Shadow_Ferret
01-29-2008, 12:01 AM
There was one running recently, I think it was for Chevy Malibu, depicting bank robbers using one as a successful getaway car. So I guess bank robbery is now cool, also.
If I'm thinking of the same commercial, the bankrobbers were NOT using a Malibu. They were using some non-descript car and they drove away with the cops there because the cops didn't NOTICE the car. The point was that the Malibu is an exciting car, but everything else won't get you noticed.

I guess though that I haven't really noticed any street racing ads. Nor am I all that upset that they use it as advertising fodder. Speed has been the name of the game since the 60s at least.

nerds
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
If I'm thinking of the same commercial, the bankrobbers were NOT using a Malibu. They were using some non-descript car and they drove away with the cops there because the cops didn't NOTICE the car. The point was that the Malibu is an exciting car, but everything else won't get you noticed.

I guess though that I haven't really noticed any street racing ads. Nor am I all that upset that they use it as advertising fodder. Speed has been the name of the game since the 60s at least.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Clearly I missed the point of the ad and misunderstood it. I stand corrected, my error. Thanks SF. :)

JimmyB27
02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Nor am I all that upset that they use it as advertising fodder. Speed has been the name of the game since the 60s at least.
Nor am I. Sounds like more of the blame game culture to me. "Sorry Officer, it wasn't my fault I drove like an idiot and killed those people, the Ford ad made me do it."

GeorgeK
02-05-2008, 01:27 AM
In a similar vein I saw a Chevy ad on TV a few days ago advocating how much they are helping the environment with their fuel efficient cars. They mentioned an electric car and several hybrids before extolling their SUV's. I paused the commercial to read the tiny white lettering under every one of the fuel efficient cars which read, "Concept car, production models not available."

paprikapink
02-05-2008, 01:38 AM
When your brain is splattered all over the inside of the windshield, apologizing to the officer is not going to help.

I think that in addition to drivers' training and drivers' ed, drivers ought to also be required to pass a course in elementary physics. If an object this heavy is going this fast and stops this suddenly, what will happen to the hard parts of the object? What will happen to the soft parts? What will happen to unsecured objects inside the fast heavy object? What will happen to objects struck by the fast heavy object?

You can't negotiate with the laws of physics.

I agree that it's disgusting that automakers would glamorize racing*. I'm not blaming the manufacturers for how their products are used. To clarify: I'm saying their advertising techniques are disgusting and morally bankrupt. It's comparable to razor blade makers glamorizing the use of razor blades to slice yourself up.

*ETA: I mean street racing. Real auto races with professional drivers, that's different.

HeronW
02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Speed is addictive and idiots have been doing it on foot, by horse, chariot, carriages, cars, whatever. These morons don't think about bystanders, insurance or death. We all go to see the movies for the car chases and 'The Fast and the Furious' adrenaline rush. Car makers just pitch the ads the same way people buy cars: for looks, adding sex appeal, speed.

Joe270
02-05-2008, 04:23 AM
There's a worse ad out there, Joe. I can't recall the car model, but it show three or four twenty somethings driving recklessly, describing the car as jazzy. They pass a garbage truck and other vehicles dangerously. At the end one guy tosses his keys to a valet attendant. Then the narrator says something like 'what kind of people drive. . .'

Assholes, if your ad has any reflection on them.

DamaNegra
02-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Nor am I. Sounds like more of the blame game culture to me. "Sorry Officer, it wasn't my fault I drove like an idiot and killed those people, the Ford ad made me do it."

I agree with this. Ultimately, people are responsible for their actions. I'm fed up of watching stupid people with absolutely no common sense who should just remove themselves from the gene pool and be done with it blame 'the media', 'violent movies', 'videogames', etc. for their moronic actions. That's just.......... argh.

Ok, so the advertising agencies should not be making dangerous things such as car racing glamorous and blah blah blah, but, really, if people don't have common sense then it's their own fucking problem. Stupid people are just looking for excuses for their actions and other people are just looking to justify them.

"Oh, poor guy, he's a victim of ads!" Well, duh, nice riddance.

Little Red Barn
02-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Yeah, this again shows the mentality of the zoom -zoom agressive marketing advertisers, progressing forward w/o regard for public safety and soon-to-be drivers. They can papertowel the spilled blood with ol' Ben's face.

paprikapink
02-05-2008, 07:59 AM
The "stupid people deserve to die" notion is a fun philosophy, in theory... in practice, I don't think there'd be a person left on Earth if we got strict about it.

Let him or her who ain't never been stupid laugh the last lonesome laugh.

Bartholomew
02-05-2008, 11:28 AM
The "stupid people deserve to die" notion is a fun philosophy, in theory... in practice, I don't think there'd be a person left on Earth if we got strict about it.

I think the deservedness scales up with the level of stupidity.

P.H.Delarran
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
also disturbing is the commercial showing kids in a small car playing musical parking spots.

Broadswordbabe
02-05-2008, 01:50 PM
If idiots only killed themselves, I would be disinclined to care, frankly. Yep, take 'em out of the gene pool. Trouble is they do kill, cripple and bereave innocent bystanders.

And I think among the people who should take responsibility for their own actions, the people who make car adverts which are utterly irresponsible, and cars which are environmentally irresponsible, and cars with bull-bars which are...well, you get my drift. Everyone should take responsibility for their damned actions. Including, particularly, those who are perfectly well aware of what they're pushing and don't care because it'll make 'em a buck. /rant

DamaNegra
02-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Meh, you can take ME out of the gene pool if you want to. Really, I won't mind. And if there is no person left standing on earth, good. I don't care either.

And yes, I'm being a bitch.

JoeEkaitis
02-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Anyone who has lost a loved one or had a vehicle totaled thanks to witless morons attempting a 180-degree slide into a parking space will find Audi's newest A4 commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQesmX27AdY) a delight to view.

paprikapink
02-15-2008, 11:48 PM
It would be absurd to regulate stuff like this...what constitutes a reckless maneuver in an advertisement yadda yadda yadda. But if they did have a little shame, felt a little bit of civic responsibility, it sure would be nice. Clearly, that's not the case. This ad is zippy and cute, and will give ambitious men drivers Audi ambitions; that's all that matters to them.

Tiger
02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
When your brain is splattered all over the inside of the windshield, apologizing to the officer is not going to help.

I think that in addition to drivers' training and drivers' ed, drivers ought to also be required to pass a course in elementary physics. If an object this heavy is going this fast and stops this suddenly, what will happen to the hard parts of the object? What will happen to the soft parts? What will happen to unsecured objects inside the fast heavy object? What will happen to objects struck by the fast heavy object?

You can't negotiate with the laws of physics.

I agree that it's disgusting that automakers would glamorize racing*. I'm not blaming the manufacturers for how their products are used. To clarify: I'm saying their advertising techniques are disgusting and morally bankrupt. It's comparable to razor blade makers glamorizing the use of razor blades to slice yourself up.

*ETA: I mean street racing. Real auto races with professional drivers, that's different.

These lessons are simply going to tell new drivers what can happen to the other guys--the guys that will have accidents--not themselves.

Stargazer
02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
My wife is a driving instructor. She and I both believe in absolute safety at all times when driving... After all, driving is a privilege, not a right!

The street-racer concept is becoming rife all around the world and our little corner of it is no exception. In fact our local area is a major gathering place for these idiots who come from miles around knowing that there is a whole retail park free for them to run riot in without any fear of being hassled by lazy and slack police.

To try and prevent more young people falling into this reckless and stupid behaviour, Maria uses some interesting shock tactics to make people think about what is going on.

Among her methods are some frightening numbers. I don't pretend to know them so don't pull me up on this if it turns out to be wrong, but I think she said something along the lines of, at the legal speed limit on a normal road, 30mph, a head on collision will turn an average person in the back seat coming forwards with the force of an elephant.

And then you have things that often don't wear seatbelts like dogs or luggage that comes into the front of the car with the force of three grown men. It's worked on some of them... unfortunately, kids will be kids and one or two have gone on to lose their license by being irresponsible and careless.

I agree that advertising should not sell cars based on their street-racing credentials, but I feel that this isn't the real problem causing this behaviour. Society in general is less respectful than it ever has been before. Police are turning a blind-eye more than they ever have before and more customisations and parts are available for even more cars than ever before.

All this combined serves no purpose than to turn every public road into a dragstrip. Every roundabout into a drift marker and every car park a burnout and donut arena.

the only way to fix this would be for the driving test to be given a 3rd part. make sure that on top of the existing theory and practical test that each person pass extensive phychiatric evaluation before being allowed to control a car without instructor supervision.

Rob.

JohnB1988
02-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Speaking of Audi-- anyone remember a few years back when there were quite a few reports of Audi’s suddenly accelerating when the driver intended to stop? Some said it was a defect, others that the gas and brake were unusually close together. Audi said (paraphrased) it was because those drivers were idiots. And Americans still buy the brand!