situation - suggestions sought

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I'm normally just fine taking care of myself, but I have a situation for which solutions other than commission of a felony appear to be non-existent. Perhaps people here can give me a fresh set of eyes. I'll be as brief as I can.

I rent the entire top floor of a big house in a small town I'd rather not name in Tennessee. I am not from here, and let's just say things are done a little differently here than I'm used to. The first floor below me has two apartments side by side. In one of them is a young man with two male roommates, one girlfriend, and a dog. Why he has a dog is a question which no sane person can answer, except as an object of abuse.

This guy is Mr. Clean Cut responsible managerial-type job. Goes to work every day. Nice car. Nice clothes. Mr. Charm in public. He leave the poor dog in the apartment for up to 36 hours at a time. Sometimes the girlfriend comes to let the dog out, sometimes the roommates, sometimes no one comes. They're all out more than they are in.

This man and his girlfriend don't believe in leashes and walking of dogs. They let him out loose for ten seconds (no joke, not kidding) and scream epithets at him to "get back in the house ya f****n' b*****d", often giving the animal good hard kicks just for kicks. Then the dog is screamed at in the most vile, awful ways your imagination can come up with, they go on and on endlessly at him, until they leave again. Objects are thrown at him, doors are slammed, it's a nightmare.

This animal never, ever cries. Never says a word. Just takes it and takes it. I wish he would just go for this guy's throat and be done with it.

There is no SPCA here, only a crummy shelter where the dog guy does the best he can for them before they're put down or claimed. I've gone downstairs and spoken to Psycho Man myself and he's all Mr. Charm and "Gee Ma'am, you must be hearing things." Bastid. The cops won't go near it. I have to have photographic proof before they will. I never get that because they only let him out for ten seconds, there's never time. I did set up my video camera to pick up interior sound but the cops will not accept that, they say I could have a personal grudge and be setting him up for all they know. I've been to the landlord and to the rental office. They looked at me as if I had fifteen heads and snakes coming out of my eyes. One of the office people actually said to me, heh, you're from New England, buncha bleedin' hearts you people are. No one seems to care.

I've exhausted all avenues. I cry now every time this guy comes home and does this, they moved in six months ago and now I'm having fantasies which range from the mild - picking the lock, leaving the door open and letting the poor thing go - to much darker things, yes, dark things for this Mr. Clean Man.

What say ye? If I were at home, in Connecticut, I'd have avenues and legal assistance. Here, I have nothing.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
B and E and little ground glass in this cruel bastard's sugar bowl.

As a bleeding heart dog loving gal myself, I have no answers for you, but I am in tears for that poor dog. Do you know of any animal or dog rescue groups in your area? Could you offer to buy the dog? This is most likely a silly solution because then you would be stuck with an animal you most likely don't want, but you could perhaps find someone to house it.

I am sorry for you and that poor animal, hope you can find a solution and I hope that arse gets his.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, sad. My immediate thought would be to contact someone at a neighbouring town's SPCA if there is such a thing. Even if it is outside their direct jurisdiction, they may be able to give you advice.

A friend of mine is manager of our local SPCA, and animal abuse cases are being treated very seriously, as in potential imprisonment. There seems to have been a big shift in awareness of animal abuse over recent years. Not sure how it works there, but best of luck.

brer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, you messed up by complaining to the landlord and to the police. :(
Now there is a record, and the dog owner knows to look at you if the dog ends up missing.

Now you know better. Put it down to experience. The next time something like this happens, keep a low profile, and . . . perhaps let the dog "escape." And nobody would have looked your way. . . . That's the way the modern world is. :(

If the dog disappears now, even if you didn't have anything to do with it, they will be staring at you. It's probably best that you move soon.

P.S. Who knows, maybe the new tenant that replaces you might end up being a 350 pound all muscle animal lover who won't take kindly to what's going on downstairs. :D

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I would just take the creature in myself, but I have already taken in two abandoned cats since I got here plus I'll be going back home in two months. I'm not going home to an actual home, I'll have to rent for a bit when I get back. Two cats and a dog? pffffftttttt, I'll be sleeping with them on the street. Nobody wants to rent to someone with that many pets. If I were staying I would just go downstairs and tell the bastid I'm taking his dog or by hook or crook I make sure his ass is grass. He's a scary guy, but instinct tells me he wouldn't argue with that.

I am damned if I'm going to leave this animal in this condition when I go. There has to be something. I've met him, I've stepped out and run downstairs deliberately when I could, quickly as I could, to interrupt their abuse and let him just go to the bathroom FGS. But those chances are rare. He's a lovely, lovely dog, desperate for kindness. I wish I could take him.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you messed up by complaining to the landlord and to the police. :(
Now there is a record, and the dog owner knows to look at you if the dog ends up missing.

No, there's no record. No one cares. No one wrote a thing up, I was only given half an ear anyway by any of them. They could not have cared less. He was never contacted by anyone, nothing. This guy goes nuts if anyone of authority bothers him, nothing whatsoever happened. Nah. I'm not worried about that. But as tempting as it is, it would be a disservice to just let him out. Very very tempting, but not the best thing for the dog. Who knows how he might end up, hit in the street maybe. It's a fantasy to cheer me up, not a real solution.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Oh how I feel sorry for you. I don't know what I would do in such a situation, especially in a town that seems to care less. Perhaps when you leave you could just kidnap the poor thing and take it with you. When you arrive at your new place take him to the SPCA if you can't keep him. I'd hate to be in this situation. Some people should never be able to have children or animals. Please keep us updated on what happens. Best of luck. I'd probably get killed because I'd have to go all crazy on their worthless butts and steal the poor dog.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, that's terrible, nerds. I don't really know what to say, except that I hope everything works out for you! Please do keep us updated. :( Poor dog.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that sucks. I hate to hear stories of people abusing pets. I witnessed abuse of a dog once when I was young and timid and I regret to this minute that I didn't call someone about it. At least you know that you've done everything you can do. I can't believe there's no agency in the area that might advocate for the welfare of that poor animal. What about in the next county? The state must have some kind of state-wide policy, no?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That's so sad, Nerds. Wish I had a solution for you, but if prayers help, I'll send some your way and to the poor dog and even to those people so they'll not be cruel to a defenseless animal. Much good luck.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As was stated before, but to reemphasize:
1) Check the local laws. Call UTenn, other SPCAs, other police stations, anyone and everyone. State, local, county... A reputable rescue in your state might have ideas as well.
2) Raise stink (politely) until someone acts
3) Run like hell before the neighbor comes for you

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I did some searching on your behalf. Not knowing wher you live, i found this. Email in the paragraph:

Helping Abused Animals Of Tennesse Group
Once again I am the President of H.A.A.G. and I would like to share some thoughts with you. The animals that are abused in Tennesse deserve a chance, a better way of life, and a good home. If people can not give them food,water, and a warm place to sleep then the people that have them do not deserve them. My job and my way of thinking may not be like the general public's, but it is the truth. And I am going to do all that I can to ensure that the Animals of Tennessee are taken care of. If you are intrested in helping our orginaziton please email me Tara Biggs, at one of the following email addresses. [email protected], [email protected],[email protected]. Please email me with your contact information and I will email you my adress to send your check or money order! Thankyou for your time and we the H.A.A.G and all the poor animals of Tennessee look forward to hearing from you!​

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jason, that is outstanding, and I'll look into that immediately. THANK YOU. For all my googling and asking questions in person around this area I never found that.

And joyce, I'll consider your idea, too - this is why I needed fresh eyes - I'd not thought of just taking him along and finding him a nice home at home. Maybe I can do that, it's at least a ray of possibility. (Would be entertaining, traveling with two kittehs and a big dog. If I do that, guess I'd just drive straight on through rather than stay overnight anywhere. :D)

Truth is I'd love to personally give this "man" a month of the exact treatment he gives his dog. Oh yes. But that, too, must remain in the realm of fantasy.

Last edited:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've got a new grandson that my daughter brought home from college because he was neglected and left on the streets by his dumb as# owner. She was going to the dentist when this starved puppy comes up to her car begging for food. She called me and asked me what to do. At first I gave her the sensible statement"You really can't take care of a dog right now, call the Humane Society". Then she asks me what I would do...wrong question. I told her I'd put the dog in my car and take it home. A preacher helped her catch the dog and told her the owner was a crack addict and the poor thing had been begging on the streets for weeks. He's the sweetest thing and I believe he knows he was saved. The vet said he'd been dead within a week or two if left like he was. I just hate people who do this to children or pets. Best of wishes and I'm still all about just taking the poor thing and bringing him with you. Who knows, he just might save your life one day. Karma is a bitch and I'm sure whether you see it or not, life will get these worthless people in the worst way. Bless you for caring. Keep us posted.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
It may not be that hard to find a place for you and the cats and dog as you think. I thought it was going to be hella hard to find a two bedroom that would accept cats when I moved but once I started looking there were a ton of places that had no problems with animals at all.

And if nothing else you can take him in and then look into no kill shelters in your new area. That way at least the animal is out of the bad situation and has a shot at a good life.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again...people suck.

Sorry to hear about the pooch. I hope Jason's tips pan out and something can be done.

Best of luck, nerds!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you worried about places to stay on the way or finding an apartment at your destination? For the first, I'm sure there are many listings of pet friendly hotels. There are also 'horse hotels' throughout the US that might take you and your carnivores- no horse required (there are two main sites for looking these up for free. One uses the word motel instead). I mention this b/c sometimes they are cheap but satisfactory (you stay in a cabin or above the barn or something)

Cheers,
Christina

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mom. Thank you all. Somehow I will see this rectified. Any further thoughts/ideas are welcome, fer sher.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Are you worried about places to stay on the way or finding an apartment at your destination? For the first, I'm sure there are many listings of pet friendly hotels. There are also 'horse hotels' throughout the US that might take you and your carnivores- no horse required (there are two main sites for looking these up for free. One uses the word motel instead). I mention this b/c sometimes they are cheap but satisfactory (you stay in a cabin or above the barn or something)

Cheers,
Christina

It's only an 11-hour freeway drive straight through, but that's rather too much to ask of pets, and I'd wanted to take back roads home rather than interstates anyway. The older I get the more I hate interstate driving, plus I'd wanted to take a few days and see the world on the way back. The horse places, that's a great suggestion! Thank you! I'll check those out. (I grew up farming, sleeping in a barn is A-OK with me.)

:)

Last edited:

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend that lives in TN and she is constantly finding stray dogs that are abandoned. She ends up taking them in. TN is a hard place to find help for animals... my husband and I met a couple from TN and they were telling us all about the dog fighting that goes on there... It is a different frame of mind there. You may want to contact a rescue organization. What kind of dog is it?

If you live in a small town, you may want to contact the State Police.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend that lives in TN and she is constantly finding stray dogs that are abandoned. She ends up taking them in. TN is a hard place to find help for animals... my husband and I met a couple from TN and they were telling us all about the dog fighting that goes on there... It is a different frame of mind there. You may want to contact a rescue organization. What kind of dog is it?

If you live in a small town, you may want to contact the State Police.

Yes, I don't want to say too much but it is indeed a very different mindset. Now, in the small towns I grew up in in CT there is/was usually a resident State Trooper in each little town with a satellite Trooper barracks. They're very accessible, responsive, and good to deal with. The little towns don't have enough of a tax base to support their own local police force, so they rely on the Staties, and very little goes on anyway so it's fine. If I were there, that's who I'd call, and THEY WOULD RESPOND.

Then in Massachusetts where I lived for many years there was a mix of both local police and Staties working quite cooperatively. Again, they'd respond, along with an SPCA support person in most cases.

Down here, there's no Statie presence per se. Even the small towns have their own police force. TN has Staties, but they seem more involved in highway patrol, big drug sweeps and so forth, and not intermixed within the communities very much. They ain't gonna respond.

The dog is just a mutt, he's medium-big, but a mutt, maybe not Heinz 57 but Heinz 12 or so anyway.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do you have any friends in this heartless place? I was just thinking if you know someone, perhaps they could house the poor dog on the sly until you left. Trust me, if I lived closer to where you were I'd take the poor thing or at least house you on your way back north. Not that it will do much good, but I'm still thinking about this and how to solve the problem. I guess you could just kill the people and the problem would be solved. It'd make a great novel.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any friends in this heartless place? I was just thinking if you know someone, perhaps they could house the poor dog on the sly until you left. Trust me, if I lived closer to where you were I'd take the poor thing or at least house you on your way back north. Not that it will do much good, but I'm still thinking about this and how to solve the problem. I guess you could just kill the people and the problem would be solved. It'd make a great novel.

Okay, that works. I'll gladly dictate it from jail to any AWer who wants to write it. I've been here a year and have made many friends, but they're all from elsewhere, here mostly because there's a small college nearby providing teaching positions. They're all softies for critters too, and no one I know has room for one more pet. It's just endless abandoned and/or mistreated pets down here, I literally see new ones daily just in my own neighborhood. Poor joyce - don't worry, I'll get it figured out with all this good help from everyone. (And you're right, it's a fairly heartless place all in all. I'll be coming home with probably a whole other second book after this.)

:Hug2:

Last edited: