PDA

View Full Version : Why are British women so frumpy, why aren't they like Americans?

aruna
12-11-2007, 07:04 PM
...says this screenwriter in The Times.
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article3029451.ece

So now I need to create a poll. I am curious.

CaroGirl
12-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, I don't exactly know what "body culture" is, but I shower daily, wear clean clothes and use deodorant. Soap, shampoo, deodorant and makeup generally don't set me back more than $50 per month and I'd consider myself pretty well groomed. I'm neither American nor British, however.

aruna
12-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Body culture goes beyond basic hygiene, I think, to gym classes, exercize, Botox, plastic surgery and so on.

Jaycinth
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
How much money do I spend...or how much time do I spend at it?

The "Don't you dare go out of the house looking like that" 's
have been passed down for a couple generations in my family

It is possible to get a big bang for your buck!

$500 a WEEK???? come on.......

WendyNYC
12-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Body culture goes beyond basic hygiene, I think, to gym classes, exercize, Botox, plastic surgery and so on.

If you add in my yoga classes and gym membership, I'm probably much higher than the average. I prefer not to think about the cost and live in the ignorant bliss of believing it's all natural. :D

My-Immortal
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
It is possible to get a big bang for your buck!

$500 a WEEK???? come on.......

I didn't know it cost only a buck for a big bang, but at those rates I wouldn't want to be the spender or receiver of 500 bucks in one week....

;)

dpaterso
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I would have appreciated another poll option, "Do you think this know-all twat has his head completely up his backside?"

-Derek

My-Immortal
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
And of course, the poll doesn't include Orlando Bloom or Eggplants...

(those are required still in polls, right?)

CaroGirl
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Ah, I see. I had plastic surgery once but didn't pay for it. I have a winter ski pass and summer tennis membership, but don't consider those part of this "body culture" thing. I don't go to a gym or get a massage or do any spa-type things. I do wear makeup, but I just buy the cheap kind and apply it sparingly enough that it lasts a long while. Yup, I'll stick to under $50. I don't know why anyone would spend so much money on stuff that I don't believe improves one's looks all that much.

maestrowork
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Body culture sounds like something in a petri dish.

cletus
12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I would have appreciated another poll option, "Do you think this know-all twat has his head completely up his backside?"

-Derek
I would have voted for that one.

I'd also like to know where his actual samples came from.

Hollywood starletts vs Croydon council estate - yeah, there's going to be a difference.
But look at a random sample from across both countries and they're pretty damn even. The writer would know this if he pulled his head out of his ass and looked around.

C.bronco
12-11-2007, 07:48 PM
An active lifestyle, occasional vegetables and other negligible expenses are factors. I spend under fifty a month. If I had more money, however, I probably would go to the spa every month.

My-Immortal
12-11-2007, 07:49 PM

Would that also include Victoria's Secret bras, panties, etc vs generic underwear/garments?

C.bronco
12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
They sell it near the go-gurts and yoplaits in your neighborhood supermarket. Now available in citrus splash!

dolores haze
12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
-Derek

Well, I certainly think that's where he should insert his head. That, or hurry up and acquire the vain, self obsessed trophy wife he is obviously pining for.
I can hardly take this seriously - a writer in search of publicity?

Southern_girl29
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM

-Derek

Yeah, me too. I could barely make it through the entire article due to his arrogant thinking. Ugh.

Toothpaste
12-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Hmm . . . I'd have to say that Keira Knightly and Kate Moss are kind of the total opposite of frumpy. And Kate Winslet is just darn elegant. And wasn't Helen Mirren serenaded by three gents at the Oscars wanting to take her home?

I'd say that British women may appear not as glamorous as North American women because they actually cast normal looking women on their television shows as opposed to the glossy North American everyone is a size 0 casting. I mean that's where the stereotype comes from I imagine. Seeing as when I am out in the real world I see a lot of frumpy (along with gorgeous). I applaud British tv for allowing normal women to be seen, and not even seen, but an average sized woman to actually be considered sexy.

Perks
12-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Wow. This guy's still single?

And said lonely-and-disdainful heart is delusional if he thinks L.A. is representative of anything other than, well, L.A.

I can't comment on your average British bird, and I know my vanity rides my budget like the only horse in the barn, but that guy is an asshole.

Elodie-Caroline
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
A couple of years ago, a middle-aged and very educated lady that I used to talk to, told me I looked like an American girl. I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or an insult? :D

Elodie

Jaycinth
12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Shampoo, Conditioner, electricity for the hair dryer in the winter, dry skin cream. UH????

Nail polish and remover. Basic cosmetics. Toothpaste and brushes. Body wash. NUH????

That might add up to $500.00 a year for my entire family, and my daughter can use her some nail polish, let me tell you!

Ok, I guess some people pay for gym memberships and fancy haircuts.

Still...who, aside from models, who spends $1,000 a week? That's like the income for a year for a family of four in most of the world.

melaniehoo
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM

-Derek

This gets my vote.

waylander
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I note that the author is single.
It would be better for the human race if he stays so.

kalel32
12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey all women are beautiful in their own way.

Some on the outside, some on the inside, some both.

Not everyone has the say definition for frumpy or not frumpy.

This is just insulting.

san_remo_ave
12-11-2007, 10:58 PM

-Derek

You said it!

Toothpaste
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Okay this may be petty of me, but I did a bit of research about the author and turns out he writes screenplays. Here's a link to the RottenTomatoes page about one of the movies he wrote (RottenTomatoes is a movie reviewing site, where they post all reviews about a certain movie). Not a single positive review: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007156-long_weekend/?show=all

Also looks like the plot of his movie goes very much hand in hand with his opinions about women.

Sounds like a grade-A loser to me.

WendyNYC
12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Okay this may be petty of me, but I did a bit of research about the author and turns out he writes screenplays. Here's a link to the RottenTomatoes page about one of the movies he wrote (RottenTomatoes is a movie reviewing site, where they post all reviews about a certain movie). Not a single positive review: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007156-long_weekend/?show=all

Also looks like the plot of his movie goes very much hand in hand with his opinions about women.

Sounds like a grade-A loser to me.

Rep points for whoever posts a picture of him so we can judge HIS looks.

aruna
12-11-2007, 11:52 PM

-Derek
Sadly, I forgot that option.

Hmm . . . I'd have to say that Keira Knightly and Kate Moss are kind of the total opposite of frumpy. And Kate Winslet is just darn elegant. And wasn't Helen Mirren serenaded by three gents at the Oscars wanting to take her home?

And then there's Kirsty Allsop, who has a very succesful property development TV show, and is quite a big girl--and very confident and unashamed.

I just could not believe that $1000 a week thing, tha's why I changed it to month. I am not glamorous and have no aspirations to be so. I eat healthy and do Yoga sometimes, but not in class-- by myself, at home. I walk for about an hour a day (having a dog is good for yourt health!) and wear no makeup and few products. I spend under $50.

BenPanced
12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Rep points for whoever posts a picture of him so we can judge HIS looks.

No pictures, but have fun with the backlash! (http://www.google.com/search?q=tad+safran&gbv=2&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw)

This one in particular (LANGUAGE WARNING!) (http://www.dollymix.tv/2007/12/tad_safrans_misogynistic_disgu.html)

aruna
12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I read the original print article and it had a photo of him. He's no Orlando Bloom.

kalel32
12-12-2007, 12:24 AM
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/profile5/174/2/s657111861_60.jpg

This is the only thing I could find. Sorry I don't know how to upload pic

Foinah
12-12-2007, 12:38 AM

or a song by Moby.

Skippy
12-12-2007, 12:42 AM
If you are using those two women in the link as an example...I'd vote for the british chick over Paris *cough* tramp* cough Hilton.

The ideal woman is not some toothpick chick that needs to spend 2 hours grooming before she is suitable. The ideal woman is someone who is comfortable inside her own skin, who doesn't live for others and who is confident in what she can do. I personally couldn't spend two hours grooming...dang there is just too many things I want to do in life than spend it grooming.

ClaudiaGray
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
...says this screenwriter in The Times.
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article3029451.ece

I keep reminding myself not to get angry when I see such ignorant sexist crap getting published in big newspapers.

I keep reminding myself that surely I can sell stuff freelance, if they're so desperate that they're buying articles THIS STUPID.

Tiger
12-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Brits are absolutely smashing, baby... Yeah!

Angelinity
12-12-2007, 02:09 AM

no, it's idol worship.

wasn't that sin?

Provrb1810meggy
12-12-2007, 02:47 AM
And he thinks his rich friends are typical examples of American women?

Psh.

And I think it's better to be frumpy than to be shallow and vain.

Ha, and now he's calling not being a shallow idiot A SOCIETAL ILL. Wow.

WendyNYC
12-12-2007, 02:57 AM
http://profile.ak.facebook.com/profile5/174/2/s657111861_60.jpg

This is the only thing I could find. Sorry I don't know how to upload pic

Thanks! Hmmm...he's a little spindly for me. Like someone's kid brother. Perhaps a few more hours per day in the gym might help. And a chin implant. And a brow wax.*

*I really don't normally pick people apart like this. He was asking for it.

kalel32
12-12-2007, 03:11 AM
His older brother, Peter, is a big name producer.

Maybe thats why they printed his asinine drivel.

Seriously this guy has to be the biggest assbag on the planet.

If you need proof that his words lie just look at Truelyana and Scarlettpeaches. nuff said

Devil Ledbetter
12-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Anyone who thinks American women are not frumpy should spend a little time in Montreal. Those ladies know how to turn themselves out. We are completely inferior in our hooded sweatshirts and running shoes.

scarletpeaches
12-12-2007, 03:36 AM
His older brother, Peter, is a big name producer.

Maybe thats why they printed his asinine drivel.

Seriously this guy has to be the biggest assbag on the planet.

If you need proof that his words lie just look at Truelyana and Scarlettpeaches. nuff said

Aw, bless. :D

scarletpeaches
12-12-2007, 03:40 AM
I voted $151-$524. I hope I've got the conversion rate correct. It was more when I was blonde and had to pay for highlights every few weeks, but well worth it.

I don't care how rich or poor you are, there's never any excuse for not being clean and well-groomed.

Bear in mind I'm not saying you have to wear the most expensive clothes or jewellery, just that being clean and tidy costs nothing.

But GHD's are f***ing expensive.

Worth every penny, though.

aruna
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't care how rich or poor you are, there's never any excuse for not being clean and well-groomed.

Bear in mind I'm not saying you have to wear the most expensive clothes or jewellery, just that being clean and tidy costs nothing.

ONe thing that struck me in India, in rural areas: even the poorest people are clean; their clothes, though torn and faded,are washed regularly. The mothers spend ages combing their daughters' hair, and you will see even little beggar geirls with flowers in their plaits.
Also, they keep their homes clean and neat. Even if they have only a mud floor, it is swept every morning and sprinkled with water to keep away the dust.

aruna
12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
OK, now own up to your shame: who spends $1000 a month???

scarletpeaches
12-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Haskins.

And that's just his lipstick budget.

aruna
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought so.