12 Publishers Commit Suicide

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
In 1995, Rowling finished her manuscript for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on an old manual typewriter. Upon the enthusiastic response of Bryony Evans, a reader who had been asked to review the book’s first three chapters, the Fulham-based Christopher Little Literary Agents agreed to represent Rowling in her quest for a publisher. The book was submitted to twelve publishing houses, all of which rejected the manuscript. A year later she was finally given the green light (and a £1500 advance) by editor Barry Cunningham from Bloomsbury, a small British publishing house in London, England. The decision to publish Rowling's book apparently owes much to Alice Newton, the eight-year-old daughter of Bloomsbury’s chairman, who was given the first chapter to review by her father and immediately demanded the next. Although Bloomsbury agreed to publish the book, Cunningham says that he advised Rowling to get a day job, since she had little chance of making money in children’s books. :D

Deleted member 42

This is fascinatingly similar to the story of how Tolkien got the Hobbit, his first non-scholarly book, published; the son of the publisher read and liked it--and later became one of Tolkein's editors.

Last edited by a moderator:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There's a reasonable chance that if any of those 12 had published it, the book would not have taken off as it did. No way to tell....

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
That's interesting. I'm wondering if this was 12 full reads, and did not include pitches/synopsis or partials. I'm assuming it was 12 fulls, since that is the way agents send out their manuscripts once they recieve a green light. You've still got to ask yourself what happened here? Is subjectivity that diverse that a dozen publishers failed to see the potential in this book? Just goes to show you--man there ain't no damn formula for picking out a great book.

I've also heard that during that year of submissions, the manuscript was revised and polished per comments from the rejecting editors and, hence, when it hit the 13th house it was pretty damn tight and ready to go. Has anybody heard anything to support this analogy?

Tri

Reaction score
Maybe those twelve publishers just didn't like the book? It's allowed, you know.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of karma. . .

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Old story, I think I heard it back in '01 or '02, or whenever the first film came out. Quotation source?

-Derek

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Bloomsbury will probably never stop kicking themselves for signing over the USA rights to Scholastic.

That strikes me as funny but I'm not sure why. What's the missing link, Joe. I know it's there. ...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
That's interesting. I'm wondering if this was 12 full reads, and did not include pitches/synopsis or partials. I'm assuming it was 12 fulls, since that is the way agents send out their manuscripts once they recieve a green light. You've still got to ask yourself what happened here? Is subjectivity that diverse that a dozen publishers failed to see the potential in this book? Just goes to show you--man there ain't no damn formula for picking out a great book.

Tri

It is certainly subjective. If I'd been an editor I would not have chosen it... I thought it an OK book, but not spectacular. I think there are times when the public is just ready for something, and part of the job of an editor is to gauge the public spirit. This was such a case. if so many rejected it, then it was not an obvious winner.