Can you look at chapter two? I want some opinions on this along with critiques.(1608)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Chapter two: Werewolf’s curse.[/FONT]

After seeing Lily and the man walking away in the distance, my surroundings transformed back to where I originally was. The cat was resting on my leg again, purring peacefully. I scratched her head and then she stood up and looked at me.

“Did you find anything important?” She asked. “Like you name?”

I think so,” I answered. “Is this name Lily Rosewood?”

Yes it is,” replied the cat delightedly, “That little girl you seen in that memory, she was you! You were so cute, but please don’t tell anyone. I’m not supposed to peek in someone’s memory without permission.

“Um, okay

All of a sudden, there was a loud, yet recognizable scream. I stood up and looked around the forest with alertness.

You don’t have to look around so much.” Said the cat, “Do you remember what this man in your memory said about you possessing great ability?”

He said something about that, yes,” I said, trying to wonder what the cat was trying to say, “Why?”

Do you want to know what that ability is?

Yes I do

Close your eyes, and remain calm

I did what the cat told me. Staying calm seemed so easy. My environment appeared in black with a blue outline. I looked around the forest until I saw two moving living beings which were blue in color, one of them seem to be a girl fleeing from the other being that I could not identify. I knew the one being pursued was Aiyana, but she is so far-off. I opened my eyes and looked down at the cat.

That girl, do you know her?” asked the cat, “She must be in trouble, let’s go help her. There’s something else that I want to show you.

The cat ran ahead through the bushes and I soon followed without hesitation. Not running for very long, I began to notice of a cluster of trees just up ahead.

I think we should jump across those trees” insinuated the cat, “That way we should get to the girl much more quickly. See that tree over there? On the count of three, we’ll jump on that big branch. And keep your eyes closed so you can pinpoint this girl’s location. Ready, One…..Two……..THREE

I sprung forward and ascended and perched upon a large solid branch. I felt something land on my right shoulder. I turned and saw the cat, who looked back at me.

Don’t worry about me,” she said, “you should be focusing on helping your friend. Now let’s keep going, and keep your eyes closed and focus. You can still see where you’re going.

I closed my eyes again, and heard panting. It sounded like it was coming from every direction, making it difficult to follow the sounds. The two blue images returned to my mind, heading in my direction. I leaped forward to the nearest tree branch, and kept going until I brought myself to the ground. I watched them patiently.

Pretty smart move getting ahead of them,” said the cat, impressed “Now to show you what I promised. Are you left handed or right handed?”

Do you expect me to know that?” I snapped.

Okay never mind then, as I recall, I think you are right handed, right? Yes you are definitely. Sorry, forgot. Reach out your right hand and focus your energy through your fingers.”

I extended my right arm forward. Looking at it, I envisioned some sort of electrical surge emitting through my fingers. Immediately there appeared a swirl of blue light which formed into a blue ball. The ball of light grew larger and brighter which each passing second. I could hear the two figures approaching, so closing my eyes to see their outlines wasn’t really necessary. My eyes widened to see the first one running out in the open to be Aiyana, followed by some grotesque looking creature chasing her. She looked at me with a gaping mouth.

“Get down!” I barked.

Aiyana jumped forward, landing in the dirt on her stomach. The creature came at us with its feral hostility. For some reason, it stopped running. The creature was huge and muscular standing on two legs. Blood and drool dripped from his canine-like face. Yellow stained his teeth and his claws were not only razor-sharp, but were also trickling in blood. I aimed the ball of light at the creature, shaking violently as I looked into his golden eyes. The creature gave a deafening roar. He swiftly moved toward me with ferocity, which is what I was waiting for. My energy rushed through my hands with just enough force for the ball of light to blast the creature backward into a tree. I watched the creature carefully for a moment, and noticed it sitting there motionless. I took a deep breath and looked down at Aiyana who was quivering and whimpering like a frightened puppy. She stopped moving and looked up at me. She smiled, but at the same time tears slowly rolled down her face. She quickly got on her feet then wrapped he arms around me grasping me tightly.

“Oh, my God,” she panted, “You’re okay. “This place, I don’t like it here.”

“Lily,” I whispered. “It’s Lily.”

“What? Who’s Lily?”

“My name is Lily.”

Aiyana’s hug was even tighter and it started to become painful.

“Nice to meet you Lily,” said Aiyana, who finally stopped crying. “Let’s go home.”

Aiyana released her grip. We turned around and started walking. I stopped walking after hearing a thumping sound. Aiyana was lying on the grass, which was covered in a pool of blood. I walked towards her to get a closer look at her. I turned her over and saw a large wound gushing with some thick red substance. A wound so deep, that a small part of white bone became visible under the flesh. Looking a wound this deep made me shudder. Aiyana sat up and frowned.

“I’ m sorry.” she said, “That creature, you should have seen how sharp those claws are, and how foul he smelled .He slashed my leg, which now as you already know, quite disturbing to see. It really hurts to walk.”

I continued to examine the injured leg.

“I don’t think we are too far from the city.” I said.

The sky transformed into a yellowish gold color and the clouds were dark purple. White lights flickered between the clouds followed by a noise. Aiyana shivered and her tears became visible.

“I warned you this place is dangerous!” She said barked and cried even harder, “Mum must be so worried. Judging by the sunset it must be five o’ clock. She could have called the police, we could be dead here. And—Lily, why are you-”

I glanced back at Aiyana, who all of a sudden stopped sobbing.

“What’s wrong?” I asked

“You’re not like the other people I’ve met,” replied Aiyana

“Really? How so?”

“At a time like this, an average person would panic. But you, you’re just the opposite, you’re so…. So… calm. Stubborn…yet…very calm. I like your personality, now you have calmed me down already.”

Aiyana looked to another direction

“Look over there,” She pointed at the black cat, who I haven’t noticed since the encounter with the beast.

The cat walked forward and meowed. Aiyana reached out her hand to pet her.
“What’s this kitty doing here?”

“It’s my cat,” I replied.

“Oh, really, does he have a name?”

The cat rolled over meowing and purring, seeming to enjoy being stroked. she quickly got up and jumped backward, hissing loudly. Her back arched, and her tail twitched sideways.

“Something is wrong,” said Aiyana, “When cats behave like that, that means something must have spooked them. But what-”

Her eyes expanded after she looked up. She shivered then collapsed. I noticed a shadow between me and Aiyana, growing larger and wider.

I turned around to see the monster in the air with its mouth open, plummeting down at me fast. I could have darted out of the way, but doing so will hurt Aiyana, so I stood my ground. Before there was enough time to defend my self, the beast landed on me and pushed me onto the ground. Blood dripped from my right shoulder after the creature’s fangs impaled it. I could not move my other arm, while it’s being pressed down by the rest of my body. Struggling free was impossible. The creature’s teeth dug deeper into my shoulder tearing my muscle tissues. The excruciating pain made my teeth and my eyes watery.

“Mew” The cat ran in front of me. There was a flash of bright light and there stood a girl, with hair as black as mine, with eyes as yellow as the creatures and with catlike ears on top. She looked down and winked at me. She jumped backward and extended her arms forward with widened hands.

“ I call upon the fire dog spirit, breathe thy fiery breath, to scorch the wickedness that pollutes our land. I SUMMON THEE!”

Out of nowhere appeared three dog-shaped flames encircling the girl. The dogs faced my direction and one of the charged jumping on the creatures back and bit him. The creature released his grip and struggled to get the fire dog off, but the dog didn’t budge. Following the first dog, the two dogs rushed in and each one grabbed an arm. I turned around and watched helplessly as flames spread around them, morphing in to a fiery sphere. The beast howled in pain. The sphere began to expand slowly until it made a sudden explosion, leaving no remains.

Well, some people liked it, some people have a problem with the cat, but they wouldn't tell me what's wrong. Does this piece protray the Dues Ex Machina, or what ever that means?

What do you think? what can be improved from this piece.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm afraid the errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation interfere with my reading of this piece. Many sentences lacked full stops at their ends, verbs don't agree with their subjects and the tense went from past to present at least once. I'm not sure if this is because you know better but were in a hurry to post this, or because you weren't certain about what the correct punctuation and so on might be. Either way, though, I tried to read the story but just couldn't get very far and ended up skimming it. You've got a lot of action going on, and I'd like to immerse myself in the narrative and enjoy the ride, but the story is so poorly edited that I keep noticing things like these :

“Like you name?”

One example of a typo.

I said, trying to wonder what the cat was trying to say, “Why?”

Repetition of the word "trying". Besides, why does the narrator have to "try" to wonder? What prevents him from actually wondering?

I stood up and looked around the forest with alertness.

If someone screams and if someone else looks around after the scream, readers can deduce that the second person is alert. There's no need to spell it out.

I think we should jump across those trees” insinuated the cat

Just use "said". Characters cannot "insinuate" words.

Pretty smart move getting ahead of them,” said the cat, impressed

This is another example of over-explanation. If the cat says that the narrator made a "pretty smart move", I can tell that the cat is impressed.

I turned her over and saw a large wound gushing with some thick red substance.

If this is blood, just call it blood. Referring to it as "some thick red substance" makes me imagine paint, crushed cranberries and bone marrow.

"He slashed my leg, which now as you already know, quite disturbing to see."
"I like your personality, now you have calmed me down already.”

This isn't natural dialogue. People don't normally speak in this scholarly fashion.

She said barked and cried even harder

Some sentences really need to be edited. You have a workable idea for a story, with the shapeshifting cat and the creatures hunting for them. Correcting some of the errors in the narrative would allow readers to focus on that story without being distracted. Good luck with the writing.

Last edited:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid the errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation interfere with my reading of this piece. Many sentences lacked full stops at their ends, verbs don't agree with their subjects and the tense went from past to present at least once. I'm not sure if this is because you know better but were in a hurry to post this, or because you weren't sure about what the correct punctuation and so on might be. Either way, though, I tried to read the story but just couldn't get very far and ended up skimming it. You've got a lot of action going on, and I'd like to immerse myself in the narrative and enjoy the ride, but the story is so poorly edited that I keep noticing things like these :

If this is blood, just call it blood. Referring to it as "some thick red substance" makes me imagine paint, crushed cranberries and bone marrow.

That means i'll say blood a second time.Is that okay?

This isn't natural dialogue. People don't normally speak in this scholarly fashion.

Aiyana does, she's a smart, pedantic and bookish person. Is that still alright

Some sentences really need to be edited. You have a workable idea for a story, with the shapeshifting cat and the creatures hunting for them. Correcting some of the errors in the narrative would allow readers to focus on that story without being distracted. Good luck with the writing.

This is so hard. Writing this whole story.Especially the errors I can't even see. (ETA): I can't write nor speak in sentences properly. and english is my first language. Sorry If this piece turned out bad. This is really hard for me to write with all these writer's blocks.

Thank you Queen of Hearts.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
This is so hard. Writing this whole story.Especially the errors I can't even see. (ETA): I can't write nor speak in sentences properly. and english is my first language. Sorry If this piece turned out bad. This is really hard for me to write with all these writer's blocks.

I sympathize. Have you considered working on your grammar, spelling and punctuation, rather than trying to tell a long and complex story? The former is like counting while the latter is like calculus; if you haven't mastered the one, mastering the other is going to be that much more difficult. On the plus side, you take criticism very well. Kudos to you for the mature and positive attitude.
That means i'll say blood a second time.Is that okay?

No need to mention blood twice, then.
Sometimes, less is more.

Aiyana does, she's a smart, pedantic and bookish person. Is that still alright

On the one hand, you need to convey that your character is smart and pedantic. On the other hand, you don't want people to stop reading the story, saying, as I did, that this isn't natural dialogue.

So how about having her say something smart and pedantic instead? Take Henry from the show Ugly Betty - he can say the circumference of the earth off the top of his head, and when people give him odd looks, he says, "It's just something I know." That's smart and pedantic without being unnatural. Likewise, don't waste Aiyana's intelligence on complicated sentence construction or psychology-talk.
Use it to show something about the creatures that we didn't know before, or use it to devise a brilliant plan. That way, the readers will know she's smart and it will seem much more natural.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I sympathize. Have you considered working on your grammar, spelling and punctuation, rather than trying to tell a long and complex story? The former is like counting while the latter is like calculus; if you haven't mastered the one, mastering the other is going to be that much more difficult. On the plus side, you take criticism very well. Kudos to you for the mature and positive attitude.

No need to mention blood twice, then. [/color]Sometimes, less is more.

[/color]
On the one hand, you need to convey that your character is smart and pedantic. On the other hand, you don't want people to stop reading the story, saying, as I did, that this isn't natural dialogue.

So how about having her say something smart and pedantic instead? Take Henry from the show Ugly Betty - he can say the circumference of the earth off the top of his head, and when people give him odd looks, he says, "It's just something I know." That's smart and pedantic without being unnatural. Likewise, don't waste Aiyana's intelligence on complicated sentence construction or psychology-talk.
Use it to show something about the creatures that we didn't know before, or use it to devise a brilliant plan. That way, the readers will know she's smart and it will seem much more natural.

Ah. I'm good with grammar, but I tend to make careless mistakes. And never pay attention to what I'm doing. And hey, I'm getting used to the critiques I get. but when I see someone who point out something wrong at my piece, like simple tense mixing or spelling errors I get really mad at myself for not seeeing it.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I'm good with grammar, but I tend to make careless mistakes. And never pay attention to what I'm doing. And hey, I'm getting used to the critiques I get. but when I see someone who point out something wrong at my piece, like simple tense mixing or spelling errors I get really mad at myself for not seeeing it.

Try printing your work out in Courier 12 pt font. Mistakes jump off the page when Times New Roman sometimes hides them.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Try printing your work out in Courier 12 pt font. Mistakes jump off the page when Times New Roman sometimes hides them.

I think i made enough changes to the piece. I think. I'll post this later anyway, besides the grammar. What do you think I should Improve on?

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net

Here's what leaps out at me:

And never pay attention to what I'm doing.

It's easy to make mistakes when you're not paying attention. The problem is, your readers won't really care.

To quote Alastor Moody: CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

I'm great at mathematical concepts but make careless mistakes in arithmetic. My report cards were riddled with Cs in math, despite that I can do multi-variable calculus. My professors didn't care about my elegant proofs if at the end my units didn't match up or I wrote 3+2=6. I barely passed many classes as a result. Your readers will be even more vicious.

If you can't even read what you're writing as you're writing it, that bodes ill for everyone else involved.

Things to help you on your path to grammar greatness:

(1) Slow down. Just write slower. Read each sentence after you finish it. Ask yourself if it is correct. Diagram it. I mean that honestly. Diagram your sentences if that's what it takes for you. Questions you should ask yourself: Do my subject and verb agree? Did I use proper punctuation? Is everything spelled correctly? Did I use the correct words (eg their there they're)? And I mean it: after every sentence.

(2) Re-read what you write when you finish. And don't just read it like you'd read a book you pulled off your bookshelf. Read it like you're critiquing someone else's paper in class. Hunt for mistakes. Print it out and grab a red pen if needs be. You're not done until you can't even read the original writing under all the proofing comments. And if you don't know proofreading marks, look them up.

(3) Read. Read critically. There are a lot of good books out there, filled with sentences done properly. When you read as a writer, you read differently. You observe how people break up chapters, how characters speak, the writing style, et cetera. Read a book like you're proofreading it. And read good books. If you're unclear on what qualifies, ask your teacher. Or me. I've read a few books.

Don't try to tackle differential equations before you've managed algebra. If you don't feel a vague compulsion to write formally in your IMs you need to keep trying. Poor grammar should just feel wrong. Get your grammar down to the point that you can't even write without writing properly. Proper grammar should be as natural as breathing.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It''ll be a minute I'm editing this stuff right now. I'll post the revision up as soon as i'm done. Sorry for the grammar errors, I didnt see them

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Revision Complete

Chapter two: Werewolf’s curse.

After seeing Lily and the man walking away in the distance, my surroundings transformed back to where I originally was. The cat was resting on my leg again, purring peacefully. I scratched her head and then she stood up and looked at me.

“Did you find anything important?” She asked. “Like your name?”

“I think so,” I answered. “Is this name Lily Rosewood?”

“Yes it is,” replied the cat delightedly, “That little girl you seen in that memory, she was you! You were so cute, but please don’t tell anyone. I’m not supposed to peek in someone’s memory without permission.”

“Um, okay”

All of a sudden, there was a loud, yet recognizable scream. I stood up and looked around the forest with alertness.

“You don’t have to look around so much.” Said the cat, “Do you remember what this man in your memory said about you possessing great ability?”

“He said something about that, yes,” I said, trying to wonder what the cat was trying to say, “Why?”

“Do you want to know what that ability is?”

“Yes I do”

“Close your eyes, and remain calm”

Staying calm seemed so easy. My environment appeared in black with a blue outline. I looked around the forest until I saw two moving living beings which were blue in color, one of them seem to be a girl fleeing from the other being that I could not identify. I knew the one being pursued was Aiyana, but she is so far-off. I opened my eyes and looked down at the cat.

“That girl, do you know her?” asked the cat, “She must be in trouble, let’s go help her. There’s something else that I want to show you.”

The cat ran ahead through the bushes and I soon followed without hesitation. Not running for very long, I began to notice of a cluster of trees just up ahead.

“I think we should jump across those trees” insinuated the cat, “That way we should get to the girl in no time. See that tree over there? On the count of three, we’ll jump on that big branch. And keep your eyes closed so you can pinpoint this girl’s location. Ready, One…..Two……..THREE”

I sprung forward and ascended and perched upon a large solid branch. I felt something land on my right shoulder. I turned and saw the cat, who looked back at me.

“Don’t worry about me,” she said, “you should be focusing on helping that girl. Now let’s keep going, and keep your eyes closed and focus. You can still see where you’re going.”

I closed my eyes again, and heard panting. It sounded like it was coming from every direction, making it difficult to follow the sounds. The two blue images returned to my mind, heading in my direction. I leaped forward to the nearest tree branch, and kept going until I brought myself to the ground. I watched them patiently.

“Pretty smart move getting ahead of them,” said the cat, “Now to show you what I promised. Are you left handed or right handed?”

“Do you expect me to know that?” I snapped.

“Okay never mind then, as I recall, I think you are right handed, right? Yes you are definitely. Sorry, forgot. Reach out your right hand and focus your energy through your fingers.”

I extended my right arm forward. Looking at it, I envisioned some sort of electrical surge emitting through my fingers. Immediately there appeared a swirl of blue light which formed into a blue ball. The ball of light grew larger and brighter which each passing second. I could hear the two figures approaching, so closing my eyes to see their outlines wasn’t really necessary. My eyes widened to see the first one running out in the open to be Aiyana, followed by some grotesque looking creature chasing her. She looked at me with a gaping mouth.

“Get down!” I barked.

Aiyana jumped forward, landing on her stomach. The creature came at us with its feral hostility. For some reason, it stopped running. The creature was huge and muscular standing on two legs. Blood and drool dripped from his canine-like face. Yellow stained his teeth and his claws were not only razor-sharp, but were also trickling in blood. I aimed the ball of light at the creature, shaking violently as I looked into his golden eyes. The creature gave a deafening roar. He swiftly moved toward me with ferocity, which is what I was waiting for. My energy rushed through my hands with just enough force for the ball of light to blast the creature backward into a tree. I watched the creature carefully for a moment, and noticed it sitting there motionless. I took a deep breath and looked down at Aiyana who was quivering and whimpering like a frightened puppy. She stopped moving and looked up at me. She smiled, but at the same time tears slowly rolled down her face. She quickly got on her feet then wrapped he arms around me grasping me tightly.

“Oh, my God,” she panted, “You’re okay. “This place, I don’t like it here.”

“What? Who’s Lily?”

“My name is Lily.”

Aiyana’s hug was even tighter and it started to become painful.

“Nice to meet you Lily,” said Aiyana, who finally stopped crying. “Let’s go.”

Aiyana released her grip. We turned around and started walking. I stopped walking after hearing a thumping sound. Aiyana was lying on the grass, which was covered in a pool of blood. I walked towards her to get a closer look at her. I turned her over and saw a large wound gushing with some thick red substance. A wound so deep, that a small part of white bone became visible under the flesh. Looking a wound this deep made me shudder. Aiyana sat up and frowned.

“I’ m sorry.” she said, “That creature, you should have seen how sharp those claws are, and how foul he smelled .He slashed my leg, which now as you already know, quite disturbing to see. It really hurts to walk. We don’t know how to get out of here. ”

“I don’t think we are too far from the city.” I said.

The sky transformed into a yellowish gold color and the clouds were dark purple. White lights flickered between the clouds followed by a noise. Aiyana shivered and her tears became visible.

“I warned you this place is dangerous!” She barked and cried even harder, “Mum must be so worried. Judging by the sunset it must be five o’ clock. She could have called the police, we could be dead here. And—Lily, why are you-”

“What’s wrong?” I asked

“You’re not like the other people I’ve met,” replied Aiyana

“Really? How so?”

“At a time like this, an average person would panic. But you, you’re just the opposite, you’re so…. So… calm. Stubborn…yet…very calm.”

Aiyana looked to another direction

“Look over there,” She pointed at the black cat, who I haven’t noticed since the encounter with the beast.

“Oh, really, does he have a name?”

The cat rolled over meowing and purring, seeming to enjoy being stroked. She quickly got up and jumped backward, hissing loudly. Her back arched, and her tail twitched sideways.

“Something is wrong,” said Aiyana, “When cats behave like that, that means something must have spooked them. But what-”

Her eyes expanded after she looked up. She shivered then collapsed. I noticed a shadow between me and Aiyana, growing larger and wider.

I turned around to see the monster in the air with its mouth open, plummeting down at me fast. I could have darted out of the way, but doing so will hurt Aiyana, so I stood my ground. Before there was enough time to defend my self, the beast landed on me and pushed me onto the ground. Blood dripped from my right shoulder after the creature’s fangs impaled it. I could not move my other arm, while it’s being pressed down by the rest of my body. Struggling free was impossible. The creature’s teeth dug deeper into my shoulder tearing my muscle tissues. The excruciating pain made my teeth and my eyes watery.

“Mew” The cat ran in front of me. There was a flash of bright light and there stood a girl, with hair as black as mine, with eyes as yellow as the creatures and with catlike ears on top. She looked down and winked at me. She jumped backward and extended her arms forward with widened hands.

“I call upon the fire dog spirit; breathe thy fiery breath, to scorch the wickedness that pollutes our land. I SUMMON THEE!”

Out of nowhere appeared three dog-shaped flames encircling the girl. The dogs faced my direction and one of the charged jumping on the creatures back and bit him. The creature released his grip and struggled to get the fire dog off, but the dog didn’t budge. Following the first dog, the two dogs rushed in and each one grabbed an arm. I turned around and watched helplessly as flames spread around them, morphing in to a fiery sphere. The beast howled in pain. The sphere began to expand slowly until it made a sudden explosion, leaving no remains.

“Are you okay?” The girl walked towards me and reached out her hand. Her voice was so familiar.

I grasped her hand and was pulled up to my feet.

“Thanks,” I said.

The girl gave an obeisant bow.

“No problem, Nya” The girl smiled “Happy to help you, Master.”

The last word that she just said made me conclude that she was the black cat. There was a burning sensation coming from my injured shoulder, spreading throughout the arm. My palm turned red and became sore and every time I would move my finger.

“You’re hurt,” said the cat girl

“Don’t worry about me,” I said then turn to Aiyana, who passed out. “I think I should take Aiyana out of here.”

“I can help you with that. I know a teleportation spell. I can get you out of this forest. Is that alright?”

I turned to the cat girl and nodded.

“Go to that girl, then. I’ll get the spell ready. Where do you want to go?”

At first I thought of going to Aiyana’s house, but I changed my mind when I took another look at her injured leg. She needed medical attention quickly.

“ Can you warp us to two different places?” I asked.

“Only if you tell me where,” answered the cat girl,

“I’m going Home.” I replied, “But after I get warped I want you to teleport this girl to a place where she can get medical care.”

“As you wish.” The cat girl bowed.

The girl stood in front of me, placing her hands together like she was praying. Her hands glowed in a light blue color.

“Teleportus” She said

The wind began to blow and I felt somewhat buoyant. A few seconds later, I ended up in front of Aiyana’s house standing at the front door. I turned the knob and walked inside to hear someone sobbing. It seemed to be coming from the Kitchen.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Blue,

Don't take "a minute." Take a day. A week. Walk away from what you've written. Read something. Learn how to properly punctuate dialog. Then come back.

Most people will tell you it takes about three months of not looking at what you've written to gain distance. Between your initial post and your revision are thirty hours. At least give yourself a full day before you go back and edit.

There are still a good deal of grammatical errors. When you have several people telling you to slow down and relax, take that advice to heart. Even Jackson Pollack took his time, and he just threw paint on a canvas.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Blue,

Don't take "a minute." Take a day. A week. Walk away from what you've written. Read something. Learn how to properly punctuate dialog. Then come back.

Most people will tell you it takes about three months of not looking at what you've written to gain distance. Between your initial post and your revision are thirty hours. At least give yourself a full day before you go back and edit.

There are still a good deal of grammatical errors. When you have several people telling you to slow down and relax, take that advice to heart. Even Jackson Pollack took his time, and he just threw paint on a canvas.

I have

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com

I'm sorry, Blue, but a quick glance at the most recently posted version of your chapter shows some of the same mistakes that I pointed out earlier, which have not been corrected. I don't feel like making the same comments twice, therefore I won't be critting this again. Your writing can only improve if you take more time to work on the piece.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stop moaning!

What you get out of anything depends upon what you put into it.

SLOW DOWN. You are drowning us in these submissions and they're all the same. Re-read all the crits you have received and try adopting a different, more positive attitude. Spend time practising what you read in the crits - then resubmit.

From your non-submission posts, it's clear you can speak and write perfectly well when you want to.:Hug2:

I'm sorry I tried to dit it. This is so hard.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I'm sorry I tried to dit it. This is so hard.

Lots of things about writing are hard, but they grow easier with practice. Work on your spelling, grammar and punctuation first. Pick out sentences of yours and identify the technical errors in them. Rushing another poorly edited version of your story into this forum is not going to help you as much as a good solid grounding in the basics.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of things about writing are hard, but they grow easier with practice. Work on your spelling, grammar and punctuation first. Pick out sentences of yours and identify the technical errors in them. Rushing another poorly edited version of your story into this forum is not going to help you as much as a good solid grounding in the basics.

Queen is right. Work on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation first. Go here for a free online version of Strunk and White's Elements of Style if you can't afford to pay for a copy. (It's a very old version, but the basics of English change very slowly.)

You might also want to try using the latest version of Adobe Reader and have it read the story to you. (It's a computer voice, which isn't exactly the greatest, but it's not too bad.) Some word processors have the ability to print to a PDF (like Open Office, which is free). Make, say, the first couple of pages into a PDF, open up Adobe Reader, and turn on Reader's reading capability, and you're all set. True, this won't help with punctuation, but maybe you'll be able to hear what sounds good to you and what doesn't, and go from there.

And take a few days to let this sink in rather than reposting the next day: Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither were most good stories.

Good luck! :)

~Nancy

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay then I'm really sorry, for being obnoxious. I just want to be better. You tell me to revise and I did. Which is something I always do before I write. But everytime I revise there's still errors, which is annoying.

To Jersey Girl: Thanks I'll look into to acrobat.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
EDIT: Don't worry about being obnoxious (saw it in another thread). Just slow down. Slow down.

I noticed you made a post asking about forced dialog. Asking this question is one step farther from what you need to fix.

I'm going to break this down for you in steps. You mentioned autism. This might make it easier.

Ten Steps to Fixing Your Writing

Step One

Buy a grammar book with exercises in it. Go to your local Teacher's Supply Store. Make sure it isn't too easy or too hard. Do all exercises, cover-to-cover.

Step Two

Pick a book you've read before. Read it again.

While reading, pay attention to the grammar. Try to link what you're reading to the exercises you did in Step One.

Step Three

Use what you learned in Step One in everything you write. Everything. Forums posts. Chats. Instant Messages. Text Messages. Blogging. Email.

Every time you put words down, follow the rules of grammar.

Do this forever.

Step Four

Write slowly. After you write a period, read the sentence you JUST wrote. Think about the exercises in Step One.

Step Five

NOW come back to us with what you've written.

Step Six

Outline the major points of the feedback you get. Write it down, as an outline. Use pen and paper.

If you don't understand what someone means by a comment, ask them.

Until you know better, take just about every comment you get seriously. Especially from mods or published authors. (Note: I am neither a mod nor a published author.)

Step Seven

Don't look at what you wrote for at least a week. Seven days. No cheating.

Step Eight

Take the comments you received, and go through your work. Slowly.

SLOWLY.

Keep an old copy, to compare with your newer, edited copy.

Wait another week. Go through it again.

Step Nine

Do Steps One through Eight until you stop getting critiques on your grammar.

Step Ten

Now you can move on to bigger things, like dialog, storytelling, plot, and characterization.

===========================​

I don't mean to sound like an asshole. This is just what it takes. Grammar first. If you can't get that far, you won't get anywhere.

There's a huge difference between being a storyteller and a writer. You may have a great story to share, but until you get the framework of your native tongue down, nobody will hear it.

Show us you care enough to develop your grammar. We'll show you we care enough to read your story.

Last edited:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Grammar first then story? I do have a grammar book on me that I just finished.

EDIT: I already know the dialog punctuation. and I very well know how to spell and I know grammar, but the problem is you pointed out errors that I didn't see(not your fault). But not to argue, is it possible to be redundant in your without realizing the sentence is redundant?

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Good. Now take the principles you learned in the grammar book you just finished and apply them to your story. Slowly, as in one-sentence-at-a-time slow. It does get easier with practice, but you have to actually DO it. It's like trying to learn swimming -- you can read about it, but eventually you have to get in the water. Good luck!

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good. Now take the principles you learned in the grammar book you just finished and apply them to your story. Slowly, as in one-sentence-at-a-time slow. It does get easier with practice, but you have to actually DO it. It's like trying to learn swimming -- you can read about it, but eventually you have to get in the water. Good luck!

Okay. SLOWLY. I just read the MS once and correct things as I go. then start writing, is that stil rushing? 'll take my time this time.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Grammar first then story? I do have a grammar book on me that I just finished.

EDIT: I already know the dialog punctuation. and I very well know how to spell and I know grammar, but the problem is you pointed out errors that I didn't see(not your fault). But not to argue, is it possible to be redundant in your without realizing the sentence is redundant?

I spotted four grammar mistakes in your post. I meant what I said about step three.

Until grammar is as natural as breathing, until typing things incorrectly just feels wrong, you're not done. If you'd like, I can just do a complete grammar scan of your writing (pick one post). I usually avoid doing that (it comes across as pedantic and for all my desire to help I just look like an asshole) but if you want, I can. I'm new here too and thusly have the "I'm new!" energy.

But get the grammar down so you do it without thinking. The best way to proofread: write it down correctly the first time.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I spotted four grammar mistakes in your post. I meant what I said about step three.

Until grammar is as natural as breathing, until typing things incorrectly just feels wrong, you're not done. If you'd like, I can just do a complete grammar scan of your writing (pick one post). I usually avoid doing that (it comes across as pedantic and for all my desire to help I just look like an asshole) but if you want, I can. I'm new here too and thusly have the "I'm new!" energy.

But get the grammar down so you do it without thinking. The best way to proofread: write it down correctly the first time.

that's fine with me, you can try the revised post. And your not an asshole is you just wanna help.

geardrops

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Okay, here goes. Grammar only. I'm not touching style, facts, pacing, flow, characterization, dialog, nothing. Just the mechanics.

===================​

Chapter Two (capitalize): Werewolf’s Curse (capitalize).

After seeing Lily and the man walking away in the distance, my surroundings transformed back to where I originally was. The cat was resting on my leg again, purring peacefully. I scratched her head and then she stood up and looked at me. (awk: make this two sentences)

“Did you find anything important?” she (lowercase) asked. “Like your name?”

“I think so,” I answered. “Is this name (awkward: 'this name' should be 'it') Lily Rosewood?”

“Yes it is,” replied the cat delightedly. (period) “That little girl you seen (verb tense: saw) in that memory, she was you! You were so cute, but please don’t tell anyone. (awk: make this into two sentences) I’m not supposed to peek in someone’s memory without permission.”

“Um, okay. (period)

All of a sudden, there was a loud, yet recognizable scream. I stood up and looked around the forest with alertness. (awk: 'with alertness')

“You don’t have to look around so much, commasaid (lowercase) the cat. (period) (tag belongs with previous dialog) “Do you remember what this man in your memory said about you possessing great ability?”

“He said something about that, yes,” I said, trying to wonder (someone asked earlier how a person can try to wonder. You didn't fix that. You're not noting what others say about your work.) what the cat was trying ('trying' twice - again, not paying attention to comments) to say. (period) “Why?”

“Do you want to know what that ability is?”

“Yes I do. (period)

“Close your eyes, and remain calm. (period)

Staying calm seemed so easy. My environment appeared in black with a blue outline. I looked around the forest until I saw two moving, (comma) living beings which were blue in color (awk: just say 'two blue, moving beings' - most of the time things that move are living, especially if they're 'beings'), one of them seem (verb tense: seemed) to be a girl fleeing from the other being that I could not identify. I knew the one being pursued was Aiyana, but she is (verb tense: was) so far-off. I opened my eyes and looked down at the cat.

“That girl, do you know her?” asked the cat. (period) “She must be in trouble. (period) Let’s (capitalize) go help her. There’s something else that I want to show you.”

The cat ran ahead through the bushes and I soon followed without hesitation (awk: 'soon followed without hesitation' - drop either 'soon' or 'hesitation'). Not running for very long, I began to notice of a cluster of trees just up ahead.

“I think we should jump across those trees, (comma)” insinuated (once more, read the comments you receive) the cat. (period) “That way we should get to the girl in no time. See that tree over there? On the count of three, we’ll jump on that big branch. And keep your eyes closed so you can pinpoint this girl’s location. Ready, One…..Two……..THREE”

I sprung (verb tense: sprang) forward and ascended and perched (awk: too many verbs, cut 'ascended') upon a large solid branch. I felt something land on my right shoulder. I turned and saw the cat, who looked back at me.

“Don’t worry about me,” she said. (period)You (capitalize) should be focusing on helping that girl. Now let’s keep going, and keep your eyes closed and focus. You can still see where you’re going.”

I closed my eyes again (deleted comma) and heard panting. It sounded like it was coming (verb: came) from every direction, making it difficult to follow the sounds. The two blue images returned to my mind (awk: do you mean she thought of them or she could see them once more using this unexplained ability?), heading in my direction. I leaped forward to the nearest tree branch, and kept going until I brought myself to the ground. I watched them patiently.

“Pretty smart move getting ahead of them,” said the cat. (period) “Now to show you what I promised. Are you left handed or right handed?”

“Do you expect me to know that?” I snapped.

“Okay never mind then. (period) As (capitalize) I recall, I think (awk: if he recalls, he's obviously thinks it) you are right handed, right? Yes you are, (comma) definitely. Sorry, forgot. Reach out with (missing word) your right hand and focus your energy through your fingers.”

I extended my right arm forward. Looking at it, I envisioned some sort of electrical surge emitting through my fingers. Immediately there appeared a swirl of blue light which formed into a blue ball. The ball of light grew larger and brighter which each passing second. I could hear the two figures approaching, so closing my eyes to see their outlines wasn’t really necessary. My eyes widened to see the first one running out in the open to be Aiyana (awk), followed by some grotesque looking creature chasing her. She looked at me with a gaping mouth (awk).

“Get down!” I barked.

Aiyana jumped (awk: verb should be dove, considering the following action) forward, landing on her stomach. The creature came at us with its feral hostility. For some reason, it stopped running. (awk: it came at them then stopped running) The creature was huge and muscular, (comma) standing on two legs. Blood and drool dripped from his canine-like face. Yellow stained his teeth and his claws were not only razor-sharp, but were also trickling in blood. I aimed the ball of light at the creature, shaking violently as I looked into his golden eyes. The creature gave a deafening roar. He swiftly moved toward me with ferocity, which is what I was waiting for. My energy rushed through my hands with just enough force for the ball of light to blast the creature backward into a tree. I watched the creature carefully for a moment, and noticed it sitting (verb: sat) there motionless. I took a deep breath and looked down at Aiyana who was quivering and whimpering like a frightened puppy. She stopped moving and looked up at me. She smiled, but at the same time tears slowly rolled down her face. She quickly got on her feet then wrapped her (posessive, and corrected gender) arms around me, (comma) grasping (wrong verb for the action) me tightly.

“Oh, my God,” she panted. (period) “You’re okay. (deleted open-quote) This place, I don’t like it here.”

“What? Who’s Lily?”

“My name is Lily.”

Aiyana’s hug was (awk: wrong verb, use 'became') even tighter and it started to become painful.

“Nice to meet you Lily,” said Aiyana, who finally stopped crying. “Let’s go.”

Aiyana released her grip. We turned around and started walking. I stopped walking after hearing a thumping sound (awk: 'a thumping sound' should just be 'a thump'). Aiyana was lying on the grass, which was covered in a pool of blood. I walked towards her to get a closer look at her. I turned her over and saw a large wound gushing with some thick red substance (once more, read your comments). A wound so deep, that a small part of white bone became visible under the flesh. (awk: sentence fragment; not stylistic, just incorrect) Looking (missing word: at) a wound this deep made me shudder. Aiyana sat up and frowned.

I’m (deleted space in 'I' m') sorry, (comma)” she said. (period) “That creature, you should have seen how sharp those claws are, and how foul he smelled. He (fixed spacing problems) slashed my leg, which now as you already know, quite disturbing to see. It really hurts to walk. We don’t know how to get out of here.(deleted space)”

“I don’t think we are too far from the city, (comma)” I said.

The sky transformed into a yellowish gold (awk: yellow and gold are in the same region of the spectrum, yellowish gold doesn't make sense) color and the clouds were dark purple. White lights flickered between the clouds followed by a noise. Aiyana shivered and her tears became visible.

“I warned you this place is dangerous!” she (lowercase) barked, (comma) and cried even harder. (period) “Mum must be so worried. Judging by the sunset it must be five o’ clock. She could have called the police, we could be dead here. And (space)(space) Lily, why are you-”

“What’s wrong?” I asked. (period)

“You’re not like the other people I’ve met,” replied Aiyana. (period)

“Really? How so?”

“At a time like this, an average person would panic. But you, you’re just the opposite, you’re so…. So… calm. Stubborn…yet…very calm.”

Aiyana looked to another direction. (period)

“Look over there. (period)” She pointed at the black cat, who (whom) I haven’t (verb: hadn't) noticed since the encounter with the beast.

“Oh, really? (question) Does (capitalize) he (gender: now, you could argue that Aiyana doesn't know the cat is a she, as was stated previously, but as she isn't corrected, I'm assuming this is an error) have a name?”

The cat rolled over, (comma) meowing and purring, seeming to enjoy being stroked. She quickly got up and jumped backward, hissing loudly. Her back arched, and her tail twitched sideways.

“Something is wrong,” said Aiyana. (period) “When cats behave like that, that means something must have spooked them. But what-”

I turned around to see the monster in the air with its mouth open, plummeting (awk: use a different verb, like lunging or diving) down at me fast. I could have darted out of the way, but doing so will (verb tense: would) hurt Aiyana, so I stood my ground. Before there was enough time to defend my(deleted space)self, the beast landed on me and pushed me onto the ground. Blood dripped from my right shoulder after the creature’s fangs impaled it. I could not move my other arm, while it’s being pressed down by the rest of my body (awk sentence). Struggling free was impossible. The creature’s teeth dug deeper into my shoulder tearing my muscle tissues. The excruciating pain made my teeth (made her teath... what?) and my eyes watery.

“Mew. (period)” The cat ran in front of me. There was a flash of bright light and there stood a girl, with hair as black as mine, with eyes as yellow as the creature's (posessive: added apostrophe) and with catlike ears on top. She looked down and winked at me. She jumped backward and extended her arms forward with widened hands (awk: 'widened hands').

“I call upon the fire dog spirit: (semicolon, I'd suggest) breathe thy fiery breath, to scorch the wickedness that pollutes our land. I SUMMON THEE!”

Out of nowhere appeared three dog-shaped flames encircling the girl. The dogs faced my direction (awk: 'faced me') and one of the (them) charged, (comma) jumping on the creature's (posessive: added apostrophe) back and bit him. The creature released his grip and struggled to get the fire dog off, but the dog didn’t budge. Following the first dog, the (missing word: other) two dogs rushed in and each one grabbed an arm. I turned around and watched helplessly as flames spread around them, morphing in to a fiery sphere. The beast howled in pain. The sphere began to expand slowly until it made a sudden explosion, leaving no remains.

“Are you okay?” The girl walked towards me and reached out her hand. Her voice was so familiar.

I grasped her hand and was pulled up to my feet.

“Thanks,” I said.

The girl gave an obeisant bow.

“No problem, Nya . (period)” The girl smiled. (period) “Happy to help you, Master.”

The last word that she just said (awk: 'That last word') made me conclude that she was the black cat. There was a burning sensation (awk: we usually associate 'burning sensations' with things not mentioned in polite company) coming from my injured shoulder, spreading throughout the arm. My palm turned red and became sore and every time I would move my finger (and every time I would move my finger... what? Incomplete sentence.).

“You’re hurt,” said the cat girl. (period)

“Don’t worry about me,” I said then turn (verb tense: turned) to Aiyana, who (missing word: was) passed out. “I think I should take Aiyana out of here.”

“I can help you with that. I know a teleportation spell. I can get you out of this forest. Is that alright?”

I turned to the cat girl and nodded.

“Go to that girl, then. I’ll get the spell ready. Where do you want to go?”

At first I thought of going to Aiyana’s house, but I changed my mind when I took another look at her injured leg. She needed medical attention quickly.

(deleted space)Can you warp us to two different places?” I asked.

“Only if you tell me where,” answered the cat girl. (period)

“I’m going Home (do you mean this to be capitalized?), (comma)” I replied. (period) “But after I get warped I want you to teleport this girl to a place where she can get medical care.”

“As you wish.” The cat girl bowed.

The girl stood in front of me, placing her hands together like she was praying. Her hands glowed in a light blue color.

“Teleportus, (comma)she (lowercase) said. (period)

The wind began to blow and I felt somewhat buoyant. A few seconds later, I ended up in front of Aiyana’s house standing at the front door. I turned the knob and walked inside to hear someone sobbing. It seemed to be coming from the kitchen (lowercase).

===================​

Make those corrections. Then print out what you wrote and re-type it, word by word, until you can't write without writing correctly.

And remember: I didn't go into style. I didn't comment on your writing at all. What is in bold above is the mechanics of writing. From there, there's yet more.

If anyone sees anything I missed, let me know. It's hard to proofread in a forum post editor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.