PDA

View Full Version : Say Mac, how much is in our AW Strike Fund?

Meerkat
11-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Just wondering, you know with holiday shopping just around the corner and all....

Haggis asked me to find out.

JLCwrites
11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
I only realized that there was a strike last night when Mr. Turkey informed me that "How I Met Your Mother" was going to be a re-run for the next few weeks. (Hmmm... maybe I should read the news more often.)

truelyana
11-14-2007, 01:20 AM
What's the strike in reason with?

Shadow_Ferret
11-14-2007, 01:31 AM
What's the strike in reason with?
Do you mean, "What's the reason for the strike?" ;)

Has something to do with intellectual property and being paid for it. I'm not following it that closely, but the writers believe they should be paid for DVD sales and for internet podcasts (which, I guess, the studios don't view as actual broadcasts, so they don't feel the writers should get paid).

truelyana
11-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Do you mean, "What's the reason for the strike?" ;)

Has something to do with intellectual property and being paid for it. I'm not following it that closely, but the writers believe they should be paid for DVD sales and for internet podcasts (which, I guess, the studios don't view as actual broadcasts, so they don't feel the writers should get paid).

Yes. :D Was setting out my historical speaking there. I can relate to the view of the writers. How comes a compromise has not come hand in hand yet? Is that why the strike is happening? To accomplish something? Is it happening all over the US?

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Yes. :D Was setting out my historical speaking there. I can relate to the view of the writers. How comes a compromise has not come hand in hand yet? Is that why the strike is happening? To accomplish something? Is it happening all over the US?The WGA (Writers Guild of America) is on strike for unfair practices in distributing monies from "other" markets to the writers who worked on these shows.

Residules. I support the WGA in their efforts to share in other market revenues. While the producers and networks make money from the sale of on-line sources they expect the writers to be happy with their current payments.

What the WGA is doing helps all writers ensure they receive a fair share of the profits from "ALL" sources of income.

That's my opinion.

Haggis
11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Just wondering, you know with holiday shopping just around the corner and all....

Haggis asked me to find out.

*Glares at Meerkat*

JLCwrites
11-14-2007, 01:48 AM
The WGA (Writers Guild of America) is on strike for unfair practices in distributing monies from "other" markets to the writers who worked on these shows.

Residules. I support the WGA in their efforts to share in other market revenues. While the producers and networks make money from the sale of on-line sources they expect the writers to be happy with their current payments.

What the WGA is doing helps all writers ensure they receive a fair share of the profits from "ALL" sources of income.

That's my opinion.
I agree.

truelyana
11-14-2007, 01:51 AM
The WGA (Writers Guild of America) is on strike for unfair practices in distributing monies from "other" markets to the writers who worked on these shows.

That's my opinion.

I understand. That's fair.

TrainofThought
11-14-2007, 01:57 AM

Haggis asked me to find out.Meerkat, Mac left me in charge of the AW Strike Fund, but Iím not at liberty to discuss amounts. I can tell you there was is PLENTY in there.

Birol
11-14-2007, 02:03 AM
WGA Strike Authorization Letter (http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2480)

SFWA Supports WGA Strike (http://sfwa.org/pressbook/SFWAPR/071110a-StrikeSupport.html)

Why The Striking Writers are Right (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20159387,00.html)

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Meerkat, Mac left me in charge of the AW Strike Fund, but Iím not at liberty to discuss amounts. I can tell you there was is PLENTY in there.Sorry, I used the money for my woman last night and a six pack of beer. I'm not sure which cost more though.

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 02:05 AM
WGA Strike Authorization Letter (http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2480)

SFWA Supports WGA Strike (http://sfwa.org/pressbook/SFWAPR/071110a-StrikeSupport.html)

Why The Striking Writers are Right (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20159387,00.html)Always on top of things, eh? Good job Lori.

Shadow_Ferret
11-14-2007, 02:09 AM
She doesn't really expect us to read all that, does she?

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 02:13 AM
She doesn't really expect us to read all that, does she?Just pay the nickle and be happy.

TrainofThought
11-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Sorry, I used the money for my woman last night and a six pack of beer. I'm not sure which cost more though.My guess is the beer.

Shadow_Ferret
11-14-2007, 02:15 AM
My guess is the beer.
Well, you wouldn't want to go cheap on refreshment.

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 02:15 AM
But which one tasted better the next morning?

TrainofThought
11-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Well, you wouldn't want to go cheap on refreshment.True. Itís important to have good beer at all times.

But which one tasted better the next morning?Donít. Answer.

nancy sv
11-14-2007, 03:09 AM
What is the AW Strike Fund?

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 03:23 AM
What is the AW Strike Fund?*sigh*

JLCwrites
11-14-2007, 04:24 AM
But which one tasted better the next morning?

Warm beer and cold pizza... breakfast of champions.
So I am gonna say the beer tasted better. :)

SpookyWriter
11-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Warm beer and cold pizza... breakfast of champions.
So I am gonna say the beer tasted better. :)Ever work at a morgue?

Meerkat
11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Ever work at a morgue?

...exactly the direction we anticipate this thread to take. All too predictable...

zahra
11-15-2007, 01:08 AM
...exactly the direction we anticipate this thread to take. All too predictable...
WE ROCK!!!!!

(that is your point, innit, Meerkat?);)

MacAllister
11-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Heh. Meerkat, it depends on the week. :)

SpookyWriter
11-15-2007, 02:26 AM
Heh. Meerkat, it depends on the week. :)Or the weak? :tongue