Study Finds Abstinence-Only Programs Ineffective

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find the link either, but yeah, I'm really not surprised at the results of the study.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Does this mean, according to the abstinence only advocates, that I am inspiring my daughter to be sexually active when I explain sex (and the potential ramifications) to her?

I find the article interesting, but not suprising.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
World of Warcraft is a better preventative measure than abstinence education. If you really wanted to curb youth sexual activity, issue all students free subscriptions to their favorite MMORPG.

Also, a bag of cheetos. A very big bag of cheetos. The sodium exacerbates the acne, and the increased caloric intake decreases sex appeal in general and self-confidence across the board.

Which would lead to a new problem. Orange mice.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i would also hasten to point out that the thread title is somewhat misleading (not maliciously so, in my opinion, but nevertheless).

the article refers to "abstinence-only" programs and not necessarily programs where abstinence is encouraged in conjunction with other educational efforts.

there is a distinction, in my opinion.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
i would also hasten to point out that the thread title is somewhat misleading (not maliciously so, in my opinion, but nevertheless).

the article refers to "abstinence-only" programs and not necessarily programs where abstinence is encouraged in conjunction with other educational efforts.

there is a distinction, in my opinion.
That's fair.

However, that was the exact wording of the newspaper headline for the AP article which led me to search for a link. Blame the headline writer.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i stated clearly, sir, that i did not think you were imposing your viewpoint in any malicious way with your wording.

i never saw the original headline, but i do know the one in the link now posted does, in fact, make that distinction.

the mods could change the thread title, i'm sure, or you can leave it as is. i just felt that clarifying the distinction would serve the discussion better.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
We had a whole thread on the school giving birth control pills because giving out condoms for free didn't work.

So the sex-ed give out condoms and screw like rabbits curriculum doesn't work very well, either.

Abstinence is, point of fact, the only method which absolutely prevents pregnancy and prevents the spread of STDs.

Lots of liberals love to mock the curriculum, but the fact is that abstinence is the only guaranteed way to prevent pregnancy and STDs. Duh.

Practically speaking, a mixture of the two is probably the best method.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
That is pretty much what is taught in a non-abstinence-only sex-ed program.

Not from what I've seen. 'Non-abstinence-only sex-ed'? I have never heard this term before.

Obviously, two sides took up arms and forced in their favored views, one: promote sexual activity, the other: no sex, period.

The middle ground, if a curriculum is developed by some folks who give a crap about the teens instead of promoting their own political views, would be best for our children.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
bviously, two sides took up arms and forced in their favored views, one:eek: promote sexual activity, the other: no sex, period.

uh...no.

who has been "promoting sex"?

how have they been doing that?

The middle ground, if a curriculum is developed by some folks who give a crap about the teens instead of promoting their own political views, would be best for our children.

i know things have changed since i've been in middle and high school, but from what i remember, the sex talk tried very hard to be middle of the road. and that meant telling kids such gems like:

condoms fail 9 out of 10 times. would you use a parachute that failed that often?

:rolleyes:

great work sex ed.

you are solely responsible for the spawn that we now call "thrilly".

Last edited:

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I know that here in Sweden we have an extremely low rate of births among teens, and an average abortion rate. Here sex education is taught quite young with medical facts and certainly no abstinance-only programs, at least not in any public schools (and there are very few private).

The Netherlands seems to be on top though. They have an even lower birth rate among teens as well as an unusually low abortion rate. They teach the "double dutch" method of contracption (condom+the pill).

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
who has been "promoting sex"?

how have they been doing that?

Handing out condoms and saying, in effect, have all the sex you like. At least the abstinence programs teach some responsibility for your actions.

This is a divided subject, but I'm one who feels that just handing out condoms and giving birth control pills to middle school children is wrong. It puts peer pressure on these teens, and often pre-teens to have sex. "Well, they're giving us these condoms, so I guess they expect us to use them" is the mentality.

condoms fail 9 out of 10 times. would you use a parachute that failed that often?

Okay, so they fail one in ten times, fine. Would you play Russian roulette with a ten round cylinder with one bullet in it? Once, twice, ten times?

Would you like your children to play that game of Russian roulette? I'll pass, thank you.

Broche

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so they fail one in ten times, fine. Would you play Russian roulette with a ten round cylinder with one bullet in it? Once, twice, ten times?

Would you like your children to play that game of Russian roulette? I'll pass, thank you.

Silly analogy, russian roulette will kill you after a while, sex, not so much.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
At least the abstinence programs teach some responsibility for your actions.

Hardly. In fact, did you know that states like Texas has the highest teen birth and STD rates? These are states that promote abstinence-only education, btw. So no, they don't teach "responsibility".

Furthermore, if they're not doing vaginal intercourse, they're doing oral or anal, both of which are also good ways to catch STDs without protection.

This is a divided subject, but I'm one who feels that just handing out condoms and giving birth control pills to middle school children is wrong. It puts peer pressure on these teens, and often pre-teens to have sex. "Well, they're giving us these condoms, so I guess they expect us to use them" is the mentality.

The condoms and the pills were only for those students who were already having sex. They were not for those kids who are still virgins, unless the girl has female issues such as polycystic ovaries and severe menstrual symptoms (the BC pill isn't just for birth control, you know).

Furthermore, comprehensive sex ed teaches abstinence alongside contraception and abortion. Most parents want their kids to be fully educated about sex and all of the ways to prevent STDs and pregnancy should they choose to become active or not.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Not from what I've seen. 'Non-abstinence-only sex-ed'? I have never heard this term before.

Really? I've never heard of this:

screw like rabbits curriculum

Comprehensive sexuality education emphasizes abstinence but teaches about STD and pregnancy prevention, while abstince-only will not give students any information about, say, condoms and their effectiveness, even if the students ask.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Hardly. In fact, did you know that states like Texas has the highest teen birth and STD rates? These are states that promote abstinence-only education, btw. So no, they don't teach "responsibility".
You've assumed a casual connection that may not exist. Does Texas have higher rates because of this approach, or is the approach a consequence of these higher rates? Or maybe, the higher rates have to do with something else, entirely.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
As part of my youth work, I help run what's called a C-Card programme for young people. This has nothing to do with schools, understand, it's a voluntary organisation which offers contraceptives and advice for young people who are planning to have sex. But we don't just hand them out like bird seed. The young people have to fill out their C-Card with a bit of personal information and speak to one of us for an informal chat before they get what they want. We don't turn anyone away because as far as we're concerned, these are kids who are going to have sex anyway. It's providing the conctraceptives but providing the information as well.

I can't claim that all school programmes are run this way but the schools in our local area do. There seems to be an impression of schools pouring condoms into mint dishes and leaving them outside the faculty office. With us, that just isn't the case.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com

What kind of a sweeping, unsubstantiated generalization is that? I live in Texas and I've never heard of a school promoting abstinence-only education, much less an official state-based platform.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I've seen this quoted before. Maybe it means one out of ten people are too uninformed to use them properly.

If you think about it, this supposed statistic is absurd. If true, assuming a relatively active sex life, say, three times a week, it would mean that over the course of a year you could expect 15 instances of failure. Which would mean that everyone using condoms would end up with an unwanted pregnancy in fairly short order. And that is simply not true.

Sure, they can fail. Nothing is perfect. But pretending condoms are basically useless in order to discourage sexual activity seems foolish and counterproductive.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
considering society sees you as a freak if you're still a virgin by 20, it's not surprising that programs to the contrary fail.

you have to start with Hollywood and the sexualization of tweens and under to even begin to fix the problem... not put it on the school and parents, who are trying to fight the tide.