Should these words not be capitalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
The question I am about to ask will also serve as the example in reference to the question.

When using the word Mathematics in a sentence, should the word Mathematics not be capitalized?

Of the information I have been reading lately, I noticed that words such as Mathematics, Algebra, and Trigonometry are not capitalized. I had thought they should be. If not, would someone please validate and let me know why they should not be capitalized?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Gehanna said:
If not, would someone please validate and let me know why they should not be capitalized?
You don't need a reason for every word you don't capitalise, but you do need reasons for every word you do capitalise. So, why do you think they should be?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello JimmyB27 :)

To be completely honest, I thought they should be capitalized because of the personal significance I attribute to Mathematics. :eek: lol

This is not to say I excel at it.

Additionally, I thought they should be capitalized because of their reference to some specific thing.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Courses of study such as English and German are capitalized by convention because they relate to countries whose names are capitalized. Courses such as biology and geometry are not normally capitalized.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Unless you're referring to the specific name of a course, such as Biology 101, or Advanced Geometry, or Basketweaving for Dorks.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
There is no need to capitalize them. They are not titles, proper nouns, languages, religions, days of the week, months, or any of the other various entities requiring capitalization. The only reason to capitalize them is to give the impression that you, or the character, deliberately wants to elevate them beyond their normal status. It would be a nice way of indicating that your character views mathematics with quasi-religious awe, for example. But that would be accomplished by breaking the rule, not by following it.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
The only reason to capitalize them is to give the impression that you, or the character, deliberately wants to elevate them beyond their normal status. It would be a nice way of indicating that your character views mathematics with quasi-religious awe, for example. But that would be accomplished by breaking the rule, not by following it.

I was interested to read this, as I am considering something similar myself. I have a character (a jewel thief) who is attracted to diamonds the way that he is attracted to women. He personifies them in a way that is very distinct from the other characters. There is one particular diamond that he is planning to steal (the focus of the book) and he's been referring to it in caps as The Diamond. I like the justification you've given here, as he does want to elevate it to a higher status.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I was interested to read this, as I am considering something similar myself. I have a character (a jewel thief) who is attracted to diamonds the way that he is attracted to women. He personifies them in a way that is very distinct from the other characters. There is one particular diamond that he is planning to steal (the focus of the book) and he's been referring to it in caps as The Diamond. I like the justification you've given here, as he does want to elevate it to a higher status.

Yes, I think you'd definitely capitalise The Diamond, in that circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.