PDA

View Full Version : Should these words not be capitalized?

Gehanna
11-05-2007, 05:27 PM
The question I am about to ask will also serve as the example in reference to the question.

When using the word Mathematics in a sentence, should the word Mathematics not be capitalized?

Of the information I have been reading lately, I noticed that words such as Mathematics, Algebra, and Trigonometry are not capitalized. I had thought they should be. If not, would someone please validate and let me know why they should not be capitalized?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

JimmyB27
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
If not, would someone please validate and let me know why they should not be capitalized?
You don't need a reason for every word you don't capitalise, but you do need reasons for every word you do capitalise. So, why do you think they should be?

Gehanna
11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Hello JimmyB27 :)

To be completely honest, I thought they should be capitalized because of the personal significance I attribute to Mathematics. :eek: lol

This is not to say I excel at it.

Additionally, I thought they should be capitalized because of their reference to some specific thing.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Tish Davidson
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Courses of study such as English and German are capitalized by convention because they relate to countries whose names are capitalized. Courses such as biology and geometry are not normally capitalized.

PattiTheWicked
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Unless you're referring to the specific name of a course, such as Biology 101, or Advanced Geometry, or Basketweaving for Dorks.

Judg
11-06-2007, 12:06 AM
There is no need to capitalize them. They are not titles, proper nouns, languages, religions, days of the week, months, or any of the other various entities requiring capitalization. The only reason to capitalize them is to give the impression that you, or the character, deliberately wants to elevate them beyond their normal status. It would be a nice way of indicating that your character views mathematics with quasi-religious awe, for example. But that would be accomplished by breaking the rule, not by following it.

PastMidnight
11-06-2007, 02:42 AM
The only reason to capitalize them is to give the impression that you, or the character, deliberately wants to elevate them beyond their normal status. It would be a nice way of indicating that your character views mathematics with quasi-religious awe, for example. But that would be accomplished by breaking the rule, not by following it.

I was interested to read this, as I am considering something similar myself. I have a character (a jewel thief) who is attracted to diamonds the way that he is attracted to women. He personifies them in a way that is very distinct from the other characters. There is one particular diamond that he is planning to steal (the focus of the book) and he's been referring to it in caps as The Diamond. I like the justification you've given here, as he does want to elevate it to a higher status.

Sandi LeFaucheur
11-06-2007, 02:59 AM
I was interested to read this, as I am considering something similar myself. I have a character (a jewel thief) who is attracted to diamonds the way that he is attracted to women. He personifies them in a way that is very distinct from the other characters. There is one particular diamond that he is planning to steal (the focus of the book) and he's been referring to it in caps as The Diamond. I like the justification you've given here, as he does want to elevate it to a higher status.

Yes, I think you'd definitely capitalise The Diamond, in that circumstance.

Judg
11-06-2007, 03:09 AM
What Sandi said. ;)

PastMidnight
11-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks!