PDA

View Full Version : ^DISCUSSION^ -- November Character Building Contest

jst5150
11-02-2007, 08:40 PM
OK, folks, the pub is open for discussion on entries and thoughts on the contest.

jt

C.bronco
11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
What are the contest guidelines?

jst5150
11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
They be here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1780578&postcount=1)!

C.bronco
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Cool, I may give it a try!

qdsb
11-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Oooh, interesting!

jst5150
11-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Oooh, interesting!
We agree. That's why I was excited to launch this for you folks!

jt

qdsb
11-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Jason--

I'm so inspired I've already written a rough 120 words. Sure to be revised, but that's more than I've written in one sitting all week! :)

One question---I assume that, although she's "a mother of three," the children aren't living on the ranch with her. Is that correct? Or is that detail open to interpretation?

jst5150
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
One question---I assume that, although she's "a mother of three," the children aren't living on the ranch with her. Is that correct? Or is that detail open to interpretation?
It's on you to build the character. We want to give you some clay to start with. So, interpret that as you see fit.

qdsb
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Excellent! Thanks!

WittyandorIronic
11-04-2007, 03:16 AM
Mmmm...just wanted to clarify. Is this contest open to all AWers, or is it specific to the MCL crowd?

jst5150
11-04-2007, 05:05 AM
All AWers, my friend.

Stew21
11-04-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't venture in here too often but this sounds fun, Jason.
After I get through these edits, I'll need a break from my current novel. You have just provided a great unwind exercise.

THANKS!

jst5150
11-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Trish, I look forward to everyone's participation.

Speaking of ...

One entry is already in!

qdsb
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Ack! Don't rush me!
;)

jst5150
11-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Two entries in! Wow! Great response but we still want yours!

nerds
11-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Done and done, ready to send in.

:hat:

jst5150
11-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey folks!

Three entries so far with nine days to go. I'm looking forward to a great crop of entires and handing out these prizes.

Anyone lurking who is going to enter? Let me know!

Jason

jst5150
11-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Still two days to go, folks! Let's get those entries in!

jst5150
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
12 hours and counting until deadline! Chop chop people! Add this one to your 'submissions/acceptances' pile!

c.e.lawson
11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm giving mine a final polish and reworking the end. It should be in a bit later today.

This was fun!

c.e.

jst5150
11-20-2007, 02:16 AM
FOUR hours and counting until deadline! We're up to NINE (9) entries and looking for your entry in my mailbox! Let's go, AW team!

qdsb
11-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Woo Hoo! 9 entries!

Go, AW, go! Go, AW, go!

Let's get the submission field into double digits!!!!!!!!

Maryn
11-20-2007, 03:18 AM
Nine, sweet. I only have to off eight people to win!

Maryn, who only looks harmless

jst5150
11-20-2007, 05:36 AM
Now TWELVE (12) entries strong with about 20 minutes to go! C'Mon folks!

nerds
11-20-2007, 05:40 AM
omg. So much for USAF stuff.

:e2bummed:

c.e.lawson
11-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Now Maryn has four more people to off. No wonder she's wearing a sheet over her head.

Maybe my Spartans will protect me.

What? The characters in my WIP aren't real, you say? Of course they are!

*pets manly Spartans*

I do have to say it was nice not having to worry about "modernisms" in writing this piece for the contest. Thanks again, jst.

c.e.

jst5150
11-20-2007, 06:52 AM
OK, folks. We're off and running. Comments about the entries should be going here. Don't forget to vote.

Thanks!

Jason

Haggis
11-20-2007, 07:12 AM
That's cruel, Jason. You know how much I love that squirrel. :D

I'm looking forward to reading and voting on these.

Teige Benson
11-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Good luck to all those who entered. I'm off to read the entries.

WittyandorIronic
11-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Wow!! I am blown away by all the compelling, original, well written vignettes. I voted, and I have to say that it was difficult to decide on only three.

nerds
11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I've read them through, but I'll read them all again tomorrow, when I'm less tired, before I vote.

:)

qdsb
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Whoa.

Impressive bunch. I'm with nerdsrus...I need to read through them again when I have a clear head before I vote.

nerds
11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
I read all the entries at least twice, and some a third time. Now my votes are in. I tried to choose those which were well-written but also met the specific parameters and confines of the challenge.

Some of the pieces were quite vividly written and yet didn't give me a crystal-clear picture of Brenda - I got clearer pictures of the ranch and the people around her, past and present - and then a few pieces brought her across clearly but didn't always flow smoothly for me.

I enjoyed reading every entry, and the suspenseful note some were left on was cool. Good job, everyone.

:)

qdsb
11-20-2007, 07:26 PM
nerdsrus--That was my impression from my first read-through. Now to go back and pick my winners.

Oh, and I'm assuming those of us who entered aren't voting for ourselves...right?

nerds
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
nerdsrus--That was my impression from my first read-through. Now to go back and pick my winners.
Oh, and I'm assuming those of us who entered aren't voting for ourselves...right?

I'm not, I can't do that. It's allowed in the Poetry contests, I don't know about here in this one. Not a practice I'd feel personally comfortable with, even when it's allowed, but, each to their own. Maybe Jason will come along and clarify whether or not it's allowed here for those who are wondering.

jst5150
11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
The votes are streaming in folks! Keep them coming (but only vote once!).

I have not read all the entries. That's my goal tonight.

However, I did skim them and, well, you folks out did yourselves. Congratulations for the courage to enter and be judged. That's far more fuel you could ever need than simply winning. It's always about the journey, not the destination (unless the destination is a $167 million lotteyr check :-) )

jt

qdsb
11-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm not, I can't do that. It's allowed in the Poetry contests, I don't know about here in this one. Not a practice I'd feel personally comfortable with, even when it's allowed, but, each to their own. Maybe Jason will come along and clarify whether or not it's allowed here for those who are wondering.

I'm with you...I don't feel comfortable with it either, even when it is allowed.

qdsb
11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Ok, I voted.

Taking a closer look at each entry for judging purposes made me appreciate them even more! What a great learning experience.

Maryn
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Just finished a first reading, but these deserve a second before I vote. IMO, there's not a dud in the bunch--this is going to be hard!

Maryn, glad to see the quality across the board

jst5150
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Your vote is your vote. It won't be revealed. Cast it as you will and feel no guilt. :-)

Teige Benson
11-21-2007, 02:40 AM
I enjoyed reading all the entries - very good work, everyone!

It's interesting to see how many of these told very different stories. At the same time, there were also those that tended to have similar themes. It's really cool when you think about it.

I think that everyone who entered should be very proud of themselves. It's not always the writing that is the hard part. Sometimes, the hardest part is putting your work out there for others to see - and judge.

WittyandorIronic
11-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Just finished a first reading, but these deserve a second before I vote. IMO, there's not a dud in the bunch--this is going to be hard!

Maryn, glad to see the quality across the board

So, my husband was reading me some of these posts over the phone while I was at work. (don't ask)
When he read Maryn's post he said, "IMO-there's not a DUDE in the bunch--" and I laughed my ass off. Then I got home, and realized what you really wrote and thought, "oooooooh! she wasn't talking about the romance aspects, got it." lol. Too funny.

jst5150
11-21-2007, 05:19 AM
We've had 11 people vote so far.

Please take 20 or 30 minutes, read what's been submitted and vote. It means the world to our entrants!

Thanks!

Jason

Maryn
11-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I've promised myself that I'll find time to reread and vote today. It'll be easier if you come and clean my kitchen, though, since that could take a big chunk of the day.

C'mon, be a sport!

c.e.lawson
11-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, I've learned a couple of good lessons from entering this competition. I thought I'd share them with you and spare you the same.

1) Don't try to line edit when your two young girls are home sick and not cooperating.

2) If the only person available to proof-read your entry prior to submission is your spouse who is presently snoring contentedly after having worked all night, DO indeed wake up said spouse to proof-read.

I've been cringing at my post since jst put it up.:o + :e2violin:

I've enjoyed reading all of the entries. I love the different takes on the same prompt. It's so interesting how we can come up with such varied ideas on the same initial idea.

I also wanted to mention how much I liked how #7 was written. I love the atmospheric quality, and the backstory on the house and Sally, and I liked the voice of Tommy. There were a few great details thrown in, like the crinkling of the plastic bag with her dried apricots. It had a smooth, relaxed quality to it. Well done!

Good luck, everyone.

c.e.

c.e.lawson
11-23-2007, 04:06 AM
Wow. Did I kill this thread?

reigningcatsndogs
11-23-2007, 04:19 AM

:ROFL:
Probably not, but a few dozen turkey dinners may have contributed to it having a bit of a nap!! It'll sleep off the sweet potatoes and the pumpkin pie and be back up and kicking (I hope).

WittyandorIronic
11-23-2007, 05:52 AM
OMG - seriosuly I have to wait till tomorrow night for the winners?? The suspense is killing me!

jst5150
11-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Yes, you'll have to wait until tomorrow night. :-)

I'm having a few friends in the writing biz offer comment about your work and tallying the votes in the morning.

Thanks!

Jason

Maryn
11-23-2007, 06:56 PM
The votes are in and now it's all about the waiting.

One comment I shared with Jason when I voted was that the "common knowledge" seems to be true: There's way too much red or auburn hair in fiction. Of course, some of the Brendas the writers created might be the type to color their hair, but others were not. If I recall correctly, all but one story which mentioned a hair color at all made it red or auburn.

Maryn, who's going with brown next time, or green

WittyandorIronic
11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I noticed the tendency towards auburn hair as well, but I have to say that I was more influenced by the name and the situation than anything else. My female MCs tend to vary widely in their physical appearance, including hair color. I will say that I definitely think a name has to fit a person, and vice versa, so maybe Brenda just happens to be a very auburn sounding name? lol.

nerds
11-23-2007, 08:32 PM

No, it was gather-gobble-drink-and-sleep day, that's all.

:D

p.s., the redhead Brendas, maybe a subconscious influence from Brenda Starr, redheaded comic-book supersexybeasttress? Then again, maybe not. I might be the only one here who is old enough to remember her.

Maryn !!! Have the menfolk seen your avatar yet ?!!!? My stars. Speaking of stars.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled topic. Good luck to everyone as we wait in a state of overfed suspension.

nerds
11-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm having a few friends in the writing biz offer comment about your work

Jason, will those comments be posted? I know you wouldn't post things such as U SUX MOLDY TOMATOES, but I'd be interested in hearing their feedback/constructive criticism if any.

c.e.lawson
11-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I have to agree with WittyandorIronic about the Brenda = auburn issue. When I hear the name Brenda, I immediately think brown with reddish undertones. Don't ask me why. Could be Brenda Starr. Could be someone I knew long ago. But you don't need to color your hair to make it auburn. My twin sister was born with it. *envious* Here's a pic of a girl with (apparently) natural auburn hair.

http://www.answers.com/topic/auburn

may have to scroll down for pic

c.e.

WittyandorIronic
11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Jason, will those comments be posted? I know you wouldn't post things such as U SUX MOLDY TOMATOES, but I'd be interested in hearing their feedback/constructive criticism if any.

Same here. That would be pretty awesome... Now that the actual writing/submission portion of hell is over, I am not so over sensitive about the comments. I still don't think I did as well as the others, lol, but some criticism for my first ever submitted piece would not wreck my world.

jst5150
11-23-2007, 10:31 PM
The comments will be posted for your use, including mine, which I'll offer alongside of those. I would only post constructive comments and that's what I've asked for from my friends. I'm hoping my friends will have their comments by tonight. If not, you'll have them as soon as I get them. You will have mine tonight, however (for what that's worth). :-)

I'll also include the comments that were included with the votes. There were just a few, but they were good ones. By the way, a good voter turnout and I'll give the tally as to number of people who voted tonight, too. I think you'll be surprised by the number. Hint: a lot.

jt

WittyandorIronic
11-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Can't wait!! I was mistaken and thought it was last night, so today has gone even slower.

jst5150
11-24-2007, 05:27 AM
The announcement is coming at 8:45 p.m. tonight. Immediately afterward, the announcement will be posted in a thread along with an opportunity to "post game" the contest. So, I'm closing this thread and we'll move the discussion to the post game when the time comes! See you there!

Jason