30 Days of Night

Jerm

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone go see it this weekend? The movie was decent for most of the movie but the ending was a huge letdown for me.

They could have done so much more with the movie and didn't. Lots of holes in the story. It was a good idea with just poor follow through IMO.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
***Spoiler Alert***

My husband and I went to see it. He spent most of the movie hiding his eyes, so I'll give you my impression: not good.

I was actually laughing at the overdone fight/gore scene when they're attacking everyone in town. BANG! And people fly through the air. Blood splatters like the Kool-Aid Man just exploded 10xs over. If you look closely you'll see many fights between two people where BOTH are getting the crap blown out of them and then getting up like vampires and fighting one another.

1) Why would 2 vampires be fighting/shooting one another?

2) I don't remember the vampires using guns, they really didn't need them.

3) In light of 2, the use of guns on both sides of a specific fight leads the watcher to the conclusion that both parties in said fight were human, but then again, the being shot then jumping back up in a frenzy disqualifies that, considering humans don't get a shotgun shell through the abdomen and spring up like daisies.

A rash of stupidity on the part of the supposedly structured, evolved, and vastly superior vampire group just pissed me off:

1) What kind of idiots do you have to be to take out 99.9% of your food supply in 1/30th of the time you're expecting to stay somewhere.

2) These guys are vampires, not werewolves. They acted suspiciously like the latter imo. They drink blood for God's sake, but they mutilate corpses with a blatant disregard for wasting the precious liquid. It was like not-so-bright vampires meets 300 without the sexy Spartan soldiers.

3) The leader of the vampires specifically forbids them from changing the townsfolk into vampires, and yet people end up changed anyway. If he's so unbelievably badass that the entire pack decides to leave Josh Hartnett alone at the end just because he killed the guy then 1) Why did they dare to go against his will? and 2) Why the Hell didn't someone get punished for disobeying the rules?

4) Could the pointless screeching get any more annoying? No. No it could not. Well, I admit had it been Dakota Fanning as a vampire screeching like she did in War of the Worlds, perhaps.

I agree with you; the ending was bad. However, after the first hour and a half of the movie, I wasn't expecting the ending to be good.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
On your point number three (about the vampires' stupidity), I don't think they meant to turn anyone. The one guy got grazed when he was trying to save his wife (& I can't remember if that was before or after Alpha Vamp said not to turn anyone). I think it was a case of bit & got away for the others.

Other than that I completely agree with you.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked this movie but I don't tend to analyse the crap outta everything I see. I'm kinda simple that way! :)

As for the vampires...it was a breath of fresh air to see vampires that weren't 'oh pity me I'm a poor lost souled out vampire' or 'I may be a demon but I'm still hawt as hell and everyone wants me'.

Only scene I didn't like was that stupid child vampire. It rated up there with Dawn of the Dead's zombie baby. Why oh why must they add such stupid things?

Anyone ever see the Subspecies movies? Now those were some freaky vampires.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on Hallowe'en. I agree with Ghost about the 'vampires as feral killers rather than soul-searching whingers' thing. This was a zombie movie in all but name and the 'night versus day' criterion, which is probably why I liked it.

The killing-fest on the first day did not make sense, that's true, and the little girl with the awful, awful, awful line took me right out of the movie and put me in a bad mood for the next five minutes. The middle sagged, too.

Yet somehow, it was head and shoulders above so many recent horrors - the set-up was eerie, the execution of most of the 'money' scenes was effective, and the vampires were, for once, scary, instead of floating around in silk ruffled sleeves or teen-goth garb and moaning. That'll do me.