Kudos (little ones) to Bill'O

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I do watch him, with considerable regularity. Tonight in his culture quiz, a frivolous bit that graces his show the way the Oddball segment graces Olbermann's, he asked a trivia question about the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The question was easy and meaningless, but the good part was that he ran a clip of my absolute favorite scene and dialog line from that wonderful film, the place where Butch tries to blow up a safe on a train car, and blows the entire car to smithereens. As the debris (and money) floats to the ground, Robert Redford, as Sundance, says to Paul Newman (Butch):

"Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As an aside, that particular scene has a pretty good historical pedigree. The Cassidy gang did indeed strike a Union Pacific train on two consecutive runs, back and forth, and did indeed victimize the same hapless clerk (whose name was Woodcock), and did blow up an entire train car, which got the Pinkerton dudes heavy on their butts, which led to their flight to Bolivia.

caw

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
As an aside, that particular scene has a pretty good historical pedigree. The Cassidy gang did indeed strike a Union Pacific train on two consecutive runs, back and forth, and did indeed victimize the same hapless clerk (whose name was Woodcock), and did blow up an entire train car, which got the Pinkerton dudes heavy on their butts, which led to their flight to Bolivia.

caw
Cool. Thanks. That's good to know, 'cause that's one of my favorite movies.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
You must have an iron stomach, blac. I couldn't watch even one clip of Bill-O without being disgusted enough to feel nauseaus. I honestly don't know how you do it.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in all seriousness, IG, it plays a large factor in why and how blacbird can argue intelligently and rationally about political topics. those who live in an echo chamber, as you—by all indications—do, are often one-dimensional and rigid in their thinking.

i hope that you give yourself an opportunity to explore multiple viewpoints and open yourself up to evolution of thought and philosophy. in this age of media oversaturation, we can all easily fall into the trap of exposing ourselves only to what we want to hear.

it take a certain level of intellectual courage to step outside of that comfort zone, but it can be quite rewarding.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
in all seriousness, IG, it plays a large factor in why and how blacbird can argue intelligently and rationally about political topics. those who live in an echo chamber, as you—by all indications—do, are often one-dimensional and rigid in their thinking.

i hope that you give yourself an opportunity to explore multiple viewpoints and open yourself up to evolution of thought and philosophy. in this age of media oversaturation, we can all easily fall into the trap of exposing ourselves only to what we want to hear.

it take a certain level of intellectual courage to step outside of that comfort zone, but it can be quite rewarding.

Sorry, but unless I can do it in a way that a) doesn't disturb my neighbors when I yell at the tv (the RA says no noise may move beyond the walls and the hallway; them's the rules) and b) feel like I want to throw up afterwards (Matthews is bad enough when he lets the right-wingers on his own show), it's not going to happen. Simply not.

And I know this because I have seen how the "other side" thinks. I was all over Scarborough when Terri Schiavo happened. I stopped watching right then when my parents complained about my shouting. :x

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, it's pretty easy these days to find news/facts that fit only your worldview, and it's not limited to just politics. :)

Seriously, IG, you ought to take Haskin's advice. It's difficult for me to read or listen to stuff that makes me angry because I disagree, but sometimes there is truth in the opposition position. You'll never know that if you don't take the time to investigate lots of different sources.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Yeah, it's pretty easy these days to find news/facts that fit only your worldview, and it's not limited to just politics. :)

Seriously, IG, you ought to take Haskin's advice. It's difficult for me to read or listen to stuff that makes me angry because I disagree, but sometimes there is truth in the opposition position. You'll never know that if you don't take the time to investigate lots of different sources.

See my comment above as to why I can't watch right-wingers. I dare not repeat myself.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Um . . . so if I don't watch Bill O'Reilly I am ill informed and no nothing of many sides of the debate? I think that may be a logical fallacy. You do know there are other ways to learn both sides of an issue without watching some man yell at you. I think it is more of a matter of delivery. I also hate entertainment news shows. In fact, I really take issue with any tv programme where the host just yells at me.

Doesn't mean I'm ill informed or one sided. For example, newspapers don't yell nearly as much.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Um . . . so if I don't watch Bill O'Reilly I am ill informed and no nothing of many sides of the debate? I think that may be a logical fallacy. You do know there are other ways to learn both sides of an issue without watching some man yell at you. I think it is more of a matter of delivery. I also hate entertainment news shows. In fact, I really take issue with any tv programme where the host just yells at me.

Doesn't mean I'm ill informed or one sided. For example, newspapers don't yell nearly as much.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell people. I can always watch clips, and they don't irritate me nearly as much as the whole show would (though still pretty bad enough).

Then, self control is something that ought to be investigated, IG, so that you may be able to broaden your horizons, as William suggested.

Otherwise, you're stuck w/ a narrow way of thinking; your own.

Honestly, how many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm not going to do it. Not. As Toothpaste said, there are other ways to find out the other side without subjecting myself to some raving maniac on Fixed News.

That, and I refuse to give Murdoch any boost in ratings for his deplorable network.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

No, you'd have to skip Rush Limbaugh, too. LOL

Seriously, though, the more widely we listen/read, the better off we are. I hate Huffington Post, DaiyKos, etc., but I at least make an effort to read them. I hate the editorial stuff on CNN (not all of it is, I know), but I watch pretty regularily. Actually, I hate FOX even more...it's far more sensationalistic, imo, than CNN.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Exactly what I've been trying to tell people. I can always watch clips, and they don't irritate me nearly as much as the whole show would (though still pretty bad enough).
Clips are taken out of context, and are not the flavor of the entire show. As we've seen many times, in the past.

Either way, take the suggestion, or not. Learn self control, or not. 'Tis up to you, IG.

Instead of yelling and screaming at the TV, you could engage other students in a conversation about what they agree/disagree w/. Allow them to speak about their viewpoints. Hear what they have to say.

In other words, IG, engage others and listen for a change. Just sayin'.

You're in a college environment, take advantage of it.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I disagree. I don't think I have to watch or be party to absolutely everything on television to have an intelligent grasp on the issues surrounding political debate. Now if I was interested in the man himself, or if someone was saying horrible things about Bill and I was interested on whether or not they made a point, then I would check him out. In fact that was how I was introduced to the man in the first place, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

But as far as political issues, I don't need to listen to Mr. O in order to have a truly balanced view. (I am not just referring to the right wing media btw)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com

Honestly, how many times do I have to repeat myself? I'm not going to do it. Not. As Toothpaste said, there are other ways to find out the other side without subjecting myself to some raving maniac on Fixed News.

That, and I refuse to give Murdoch any boost in ratings for his deplorable network.
Closed minds don't have much to offer. Bolding mine.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Clips are taken out of context, and are not the flavor of the entire show. As we've seen many times, in the past.

Either way, take the suggestion, or not. Learn self control, or not. 'Tis up to you, IG.

Instead of yelling and screaming at the TV, you could engage other students in a conversation about what they agree/disagree w/. Allow them to speak about their viewpoints. Hear what they have to say.

In other words, IG, engage others and listen for a change. Just sayin'.

You're in a college environment, take advantage of it.

I go to an art school. Most people here are either liberal or apolitical. Wouldn't make for much of a debate anyways.

Furthermore, the whole "clips taken out of context" thing is pure fallacy, especially when they come supplimented with transcripts. It's simply a matter of how one interprets them.

Closed minds don't have much to offer. Bolding mine.

Again, your argument holds no water. I have watched conservative media before and have long accepted the fact I can't tolerate it. I have no stomach for hate speech. I would say the same thing if the commentator were a liberal.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Youtube.

I don't know if there is a history with IG, because I don't come here that often, but why is there so much down the throat jumping going on? It seems like a huge overreaction to one person saying they don't like a man who a lot of people don't like.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

i think you're missing my point and, reading back over my post, i'll take partial responsibility for being unclear, although i think you're also being somewhat obstinate.

i certainly did not mean o'reilly specifically, or even television commentators.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I disagree. I don't think I have to watch or be party to absolutely everything on television to have an intelligent grasp on the issues surrounding political debate. Now if I was interested in the man himself, or if someone was saying horrible things about Bill and I was interested on whether or not they made a point, then I would check him out. In fact that was how I was introduced to the man in the first place, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

But as far as political issues, I don't need to listen to Mr. O in order to have a truly balanced view. (I am not just referring to the right wing media btw)
I'm not saying Mr. O, or FOX news in general to be balanced in your viewpoint(s). Sorry. What I am saying is, is that you need to listen to many different shows and read a variety of newspapers.

That said, listening to FOX or Mr. O to form an opinion is how you form one. You don't base it on hearsay or clips, either. That's faulty logic.

I don't see how one can expand your horizons if you aren't willing to listen to what you don't care for. How does that help in your decision making?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Youtube.

I don't know if there is a history with IG, because I don't come here that often, but why is there so much down the throat jumping going on? It seems like a huge overreaction to one person saying they don't like a man who a lot of people don't like.

just Americans beating on each other.

don't worry - the rising of the Great Canadian Empire will have them all yearning to move North and experience the glory that will be Canada!

:D

P.S. Shortwave radio is also a great place to get information. I love BBC America, Radio-Canada and a slew of other stations.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
just Americans beating on each other.

don't worry - the rising of the Great Canadian Empire will have them all yearning to move North and experience the glory that will be Canada!

:D

P.S. Shortwave radio is also a great place to get information. I love BBC America, Radio-Canada and a slew of other stations.

O, Canada! :)